What is Brent Venables waiting for? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: What is Brent Venables waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    I would think that if he keeps producing top defenses he will go to a far better football school than KState.
    I think that the point is that he is from Kansas, and that is the best HC job in the state.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    There is a report that the Chiefs just fired their DC and BV is being considered as a replacement. He is from Kansas. A lot more down time in the NFL, than College! Not likely to happen , but we will see.
    Venables is on a roll, but wasn’t he the DC when West Virginia hung 70 on them 5-6 years ago?
    KC needed to fire their DC. They were looking like Oklahoma out there all year. Great offense, terrible defense.

I just read that Rex Ryan is also a candidate. It is the NFL, so it will probably be Ryan. All the NFL ever does is use failed recycled coaches.
    Last edited by DzynKingRTR; January 23rd, 2019 at 09:40 AM.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    KC needed to fire their DC. They were looking like Oklahoma out there all year. Great offense, terrible defense.

I just read that Rex Ryan is also a candidate. It is the NFL, so it will probably be Ryan. All the NFL ever does is use failed recycled coaches.
    Rex is a great DC - that is where he needs to focus. Reid has a great offensive mind, but he needs a better DC. I think that those two, together, could do very well.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Rex is a great DC - that is where he needs to focus. Reid has a great offensive mind, but he needs a better DC. I think that those two, together, could do very well.
    Reid’s teams always have good offenses. I cannot remember any Andy Reid team having a great defense. Now Reid has arguably the best young QB in the NFL, but KC’s defense was so bad they lost games when they scored a ton of points. As far as Ryan is concerned, he has been out of football and in the studio for a couple of years, and he could be rusty. This is a very important hire for Reid. He most likely will go with the safer hire and hire an NFL guy and not a college guy. My money would be on Ryan and not Venables.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think that the point is that he is from Kansas, and that is the best HC job in the state.
    I get that...but if he is really good he will go to a top 5/10 program. CNS is from WV but you haven't seen him coveting any jobs there...even when he was at MSU.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    I get that...but if he is really good he will go to a top 5/10 program. CNS is from WV but you haven't seen him coveting any jobs there...even when he was at MSU.
    Venables seems to have different goals in his life than Saban (or most other coaches).

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    Venables is on a roll, but wasn’t he the DC when West Virginia hung 70 on them 5-6 years ago?
    That was Kevin Steele.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-SEC UntouchableCrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Reid’s teams always have good offenses. I cannot remember any Andy Reid team having a great defense. Now Reid has arguably the best young QB in the NFL, but KC’s defense was so bad they lost games when they scored a ton of points. As far as Ryan is concerned, he has been out of football and in the studio for a couple of years, and he could be rusty. This is a very important hire for Reid. He most likely will go with the safer hire and hire an NFL guy and not a college guy. My money would be on Ryan and not Venables.
    The early 2000s Eagles teams had GREAT defenses. Better than the offense most years.

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    The early 2000s Eagles teams had GREAT defenses. Better than the offense most years.
    Agreed - they just had no running game. When they had 3rd and short, they could not get it - ever. Cost them many games, especially in the playoffs. Reid has learned from this at KC.

BamaNation All-American

It's really rare when someone is both really good at their job and also has no or little desire to move up. It seems like this is where Venables is. Idk why, its rare and a little weird. Based on his resume he could probably get most jobs in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    It's really rare when someone is both really good at their job and also has no or little desire to move up. It seems like this is where Venables is. Idk why, its rare and a little weird. Based on his resume he could probably get most jobs in the country.
    It is rare in coaching circles, but not rare at all in the rest of the world. I know many people who have turned down promotions for a variety of reasons, including preservation of a work/life balance. Once you have your bills covered, money becomes a lot less important.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

I know the back story, but still ironic that Oklahoma basically fired this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I know the back story, but still ironic that Oklahoma basically fired this guy.
    Yeah, that does sound crazy.