2019 NFL Draft Process Thread

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The clamor over Kyler Murray is comical to watch.

Who is the smallest successful NFL QB ever? Doug Flutie? Well Kyler Murray is no Doug Flutie. He better hope he doesn't get sacked. Ever.
Bingo! Too much of a risk...he's Doug Flutie 2.0. Great college player...too small for NFL career of any length. But some idiot GM will draft him in the 1st round and proclaim him the second coming of Patrick Mahomes.
Rules are far different now. Defensive lineman get flagged for sacking the QB and falling on them. Seriously, there's a rule that a player cannot fall with his full body weight on a QB. If there's anytime a QB like Kyler Murray could succeed in the NFL it's now..

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
While I hate to admit it, you're 100% correct...
Rules are far different now. Defensive lineman get flagged for sacking the QB and falling on them. Seriously, there's a rule that a player cannot fall with his full body weight on a QB. If there's anytime a QB like Kyler Murray could succeed in the NFL it's now..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That's probably true. But I still wouldn't touch him in the 1st round
Considering no player is a first round lock it's probably worth the risk for some teams. Half the players picked in the first round are busts so it's not a bad idea to try and hit on a franchise QB. I'd rather roll the dice on Murray than Haskins or Daniel Jones from Duke. Not a strong QB class..

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Considering no player is a first round lock it's probably worth the risk for some teams. Half the players picked in the first round are busts so it's not a bad idea to try and hit on a franchise QB. I'd rather roll the dice on Murray than Haskins or Daniel Jones from Duke. Not a strong QB class..
Maybe but that doesn't mean they all have an equal chance of succeeding. I'd take Haskins over Murray any day. I have no desire to draft Daniel Jones in the 1st either and would tempted to bet on Murray's upside over Jones if I had to pick one.

That said, I'm sure some team will take Murray in the 1st and there may be a few teams that it wouldn't be the worst pick for. Not sure what those teams would be though off the top of my head.

I will fully admit that I am biased in this case by the fact that Redskins fans seem to want him and his fit here would be terrible. I don't think Murray will succeed in the NFL but I KNOW he won't succeed if the Redskins draft him.

All that said, if I'm a GM I'm not drafting him in the 1st. Way too big of a risk IMO unless you are a QB away. Then you may be able to take on that risk.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Also, agreed about the QB class. Another reason to wait until next year or 2 to draft a 1st round QB IMO. Should be much better QB classes in 2020 and 2021

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I think him being a jerk is what cost him...
I noted on this mock draft he had Ed Oliver of Houston going #25. I have not payed enough attention to other mock drafts but is this the range he projects in the draft? If yes, it was not a good idea to go to Houston since he did not play against tough competition and it is going to cost him a lot of money.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No matter how you feel about this and the political context involved, I think we can all agree that the NFL has no idea what it is doing with this stuff. And really when it comes to any disciplinary issue. They are all over the place and it seems really arbitrary.
It will crack me up if he is still drafted on the first day after the NFL imposes this "penalty".

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Bleacher Report's Matt Miller has his first 7 round mock draft out today. He has three Bama guys going in the first round. Click

One high-level NFL scout told me his team has Jacobs graded higher than Leonard Fournette. He's that well-liked as a power runner and receiver out of the backfield.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
The Falcons will not draft Simmons.
I'm with you, but only because Blank has been burned before (by trusting Vick's word) and he goes with the least controversial guys he can find. They do need to address their lack of depth along the DL. Both Bruce Irvin & Brooks Reed are long in the tooth (by football standards) and Tak McKinley & Vic Beasley both had underwhelming seasons. You know what you get from Grady Jarrett, but they need a playmaker next to him. If not Simmons, maybe one of the Clemson DLs in the 2nd round or use that pick on DreMont Jones..But they have to address their defensive line. Quinn pretty much fired his whole staff. He's next if they go 7-9 again

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I'm with you, but only because Blank has been burned before (by trusting Vick's word) and he goes with the least controversial guys he can find. They do need to address their lack of depth along the DL. Both Bruce Irvin & Brooks Reed are long in the tooth (by football standards) and Tak McKinley & Vic Beasley both had underwhelming seasons. You know what you get from Grady Jarrett, but they need a playmaker next to him. If not Simmons, maybe one of the Clemson DLs in the 2nd round or use that pick on DreMont Jones..But they have to address their defensive line. Quinn pretty much fired his whole staff. He's next if they go 7-9 again
That is why I made the comment. Blank did not like getting burned by Vick (he appears to have forgiven him but not forgotten). I am hoping more and more teams overdraft for a QB or other positions allowing some of the better DT’s or OT’s to fall to them. I seriously doubt Q falls that far, but Jonah could still be around. Then perhaps they could pick up a steal in the 2nd round. Beasley has been a bust. He had one good year (the Super Bowl year), the rest he has looked like a complete bust. Tak had some weird mental breakdown happen that has not been talked about too much, so who knows if that guy will be around.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.