I want to apologize to the board for my initial post...............
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I want to apologize to the board for my initial post...............

I think the nearly thirty years of mediocrity has gotten the better of me. I still have my doubts about Avery's ability to get us to the next level. I hope Byrne will take the time to really assess the program at the end of the season. If he questions Avery's ability at all and has a chance to get an upgrade, I hope he takes it. We waited at least two years too long to make moves the last two times we had to make changes and that was during a time when the SEC was down. The SEC is nearly as tough now as it was twenty years ago. We cannot afford to be passive. I sincerely hope Avery gets it going this year. The UT game was promising in many regards, but frustrating nonetheless. We showed we "can" compete with anyone, but in the end a loss is a loss. I also think we cannot count on Petty to drop 25-30 too often going forward. The effort was there, but our old nemesis free throw shooting reared its ugly head again. Free throw shooting requires repetition and consistency. While every player has a ceiling, that ceiling is usually pretty high if the player is committed to working on it. Today's players just simply do not work on their games in the offseason the way they did a generation ago. I blame the AAU circuit. Instead of practicing free throws, dribbling drills, shooting form, etc, they just play games in the offseason. The use of the backboard and the mid-range jumpshot have practically disappeared from the game. This situation isn't unique to Alabama, but the issue is compounded at programs like Alabama that typically recruit athletes that have to be developed. I did some research over the weekend. During Wimp's tenure, our team only shot worse than 70% from the FT line one time from 82-83 thru 91-92. We had a team high of around 78% one season. The main differences between then and now are at the 1-3 positions. The traditional ball-handling positions typically shot north of 75% or higher, where today we see upper 60s to low 70s. That can really rear its ugly head at crunch time. Ironically enough, our 17 year old is right where you would want a point guard to be - around 85% or better. The others are really lacking - 69%, 58%, 71%, 45%, 67%. Players can improve. I believe Danta Hall has improved 25-30% since his freshman year. You just have to wonder if the others spend enough time working on this.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Re: I want to apologize to the board for my initial post...............

This doesn't sound like an apology.....

But you have to admit that we are improving each year. We've showed that we can compete with Kentucky and Tennessee. The kids have to learn how to finish the game.

The Tennessee game we got screwed royally in the end and we couldn't make our shots at the free throw line. They will learn from this and keep improving. I'm frustrated with the team bit I've learned based on my experience as a former ball player to let the process play out. There are lot of things going on behind scene we may not know about.

It takes few years to be a good team.

Next year will be a defining moment for Avery.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    This doesn't sound like an apology.....

But you have to admit that we are improving each year. We've showed that we can compete with Kentucky and Tennessee. The kids have to learn how to finish the game.

The Tennessee game we got screwed royally in the end and we couldn't make our shots at the free throw line. They will learn from this and keep improving. I'm frustrated with the team bit I've learned based on my experience as a former ball player to let the process play out. There are lot of things going on behind scene we may not know about.

It takes few years to be a good team.

Next year will be a defining moment for Avery.

I didn't say I was wrong in my assessment, just in my tone. Feel free to point out where my assessment is incorrect. It does take a few years to be a good team. We are in year four. How many does it take? I say four years is long enough to assess a coach's ability, especially on the floor. Recruiting has gone well. We are an experienced team in this era of one-and-done. We will have to see how this season plays out. If we are sitting with a losing conference record again and our AD has a chance to go out and get an upgrade, I hope he takes it.

Quote Originally Posted by linniepatrick View Post
    I didn't say I was wrong in my assessment, just in my tone. Feel free to point out where my assessment is incorrect. It does take a few years to be a good team. We are in year four. How many does it take? I say four years is long enough to assess a coach's ability, especially on the floor. Recruiting has gone well. We are an experienced team in this era of one-and-done. We will have to see how this season plays out. If we are sitting with a losing conference record again and our AD has a chance to go out and get an upgrade, I hope he takes it.
    Dude..... just stop posting.

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Dude..... just stop posting.

Why? Where am I wrong?

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Again, my apology was for my tone, not the assessment. You are free to show me where my assessment is lacking.

No worries, LP. We all live and learn.

I believe we all share your overall frustration with the inconsistency of the program at times.

While I don't think we can count on Petty repeating what he did Saturday in every game, does seem like he's starting to become the player many expected. Against A&M, he had 22. If he can average 15-17 a game the rest of the way, Alabama should be in good shape.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    No worries, LP. We all live and learn.

I believe we all share your overall frustration with the inconsistency of the program at times.

While I don't think we can count on Petty repeating what he did Saturday in every game, does seem like he's starting to become the player many expected. Against A&M, he had 22. If he can average 15-17 a game the rest of the way, Alabama should be in good shape.
    Agreed. He seemed to have solved his shooting woes on the road, which is a huge sign. If we can get Jones playing better offensively, we can be a dangerous team. I really think he holds the key. He is obviously a great defender, but just seemed to be much more comfortable with the ball in his hands last season. Get Danta involved in the offense early on, and we can make some serious noise. I think 9 conference wins gets us in the dance, especially if we can get the victory over Baylor.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

nevermind..
    Last edited by CrimsonForce; January 22nd, 2019 at 03:35 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Will we hear from linnie after a beat down of a Top 20 team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Will we hear from linnie after a beat down of a Top 20 team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would love for him to make a post regarding last night win.