I want to apologize to the board for my initial post...............

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
I think the nearly thirty years of mediocrity has gotten the better of me. I still have my doubts about Avery's ability to get us to the next level. I hope Byrne will take the time to really assess the program at the end of the season. If he questions Avery's ability at all and has a chance to get an upgrade, I hope he takes it. We waited at least two years too long to make moves the last two times we had to make changes and that was during a time when the SEC was down. The SEC is nearly as tough now as it was twenty years ago. We cannot afford to be passive. I sincerely hope Avery gets it going this year. The UT game was promising in many regards, but frustrating nonetheless. We showed we "can" compete with anyone, but in the end a loss is a loss. I also think we cannot count on Petty to drop 25-30 too often going forward. The effort was there, but our old nemesis free throw shooting reared its ugly head again. Free throw shooting requires repetition and consistency. While every player has a ceiling, that ceiling is usually pretty high if the player is committed to working on it. Today's players just simply do not work on their games in the offseason the way they did a generation ago. I blame the AAU circuit. Instead of practicing free throws, dribbling drills, shooting form, etc, they just play games in the offseason. The use of the backboard and the mid-range jumpshot have practically disappeared from the game. This situation isn't unique to Alabama, but the issue is compounded at programs like Alabama that typically recruit athletes that have to be developed. I did some research over the weekend. During Wimp's tenure, our team only shot worse than 70% from the FT line one time from 82-83 thru 91-92. We had a team high of around 78% one season. The main differences between then and now are at the 1-3 positions. The traditional ball-handling positions typically shot north of 75% or higher, where today we see upper 60s to low 70s. That can really rear its ugly head at crunch time. Ironically enough, our 17 year old is right where you would want a point guard to be - around 85% or better. The others are really lacking - 69%, 58%, 71%, 45%, 67%. Players can improve. I believe Danta Hall has improved 25-30% since his freshman year. You just have to wonder if the others spend enough time working on this.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This doesn't sound like an apology.....

But you have to admit that we are improving each year. We've showed that we can compete with Kentucky and Tennessee. The kids have to learn how to finish the game.

The Tennessee game we got screwed royally in the end and we couldn't make our shots at the free throw line. They will learn from this and keep improving. I'm frustrated with the team bit I've learned based on my experience as a former ball player to let the process play out. There are lot of things going on behind scene we may not know about.

It takes few years to be a good team.

Next year will be a defining moment for Avery.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
This doesn't sound like an apology.....

But you have to admit that we are improving each year. We've showed that we can compete with Kentucky and Tennessee. The kids have to learn how to finish the game.

The Tennessee game we got screwed royally in the end and we couldn't make our shots at the free throw line. They will learn from this and keep improving. I'm frustrated with the team bit I've learned based on my experience as a former ball player to let the process play out. There are lot of things going on behind scene we may not know about.

It takes few years to be a good team.

Next year will be a defining moment for Avery.

I didn't say I was wrong in my assessment, just in my tone. Feel free to point out where my assessment is incorrect. It does take a few years to be a good team. We are in year four. How many does it take? I say four years is long enough to assess a coach's ability, especially on the floor. Recruiting has gone well. We are an experienced team in this era of one-and-done. We will have to see how this season plays out. If we are sitting with a losing conference record again and our AD has a chance to go out and get an upgrade, I hope he takes it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I didn't say I was wrong in my assessment, just in my tone. Feel free to point out where my assessment is incorrect. It does take a few years to be a good team. We are in year four. How many does it take? I say four years is long enough to assess a coach's ability, especially on the floor. Recruiting has gone well. We are an experienced team in this era of one-and-done. We will have to see how this season plays out. If we are sitting with a losing conference record again and our AD has a chance to go out and get an upgrade, I hope he takes it.
Dude..... just stop posting.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
No worries, LP. We all live and learn.

I believe we all share your overall frustration with the inconsistency of the program at times.

While I don't think we can count on Petty repeating what he did Saturday in every game, does seem like he's starting to become the player many expected. Against A&M, he had 22. If he can average 15-17 a game the rest of the way, Alabama should be in good shape.

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018

I believe we all share your overall frustration with the inconsistency of the program at times.

While I don't think we can count on Petty repeating what he did Saturday in every game, does seem like he's starting to become the player many expected. Against A&M, he had 22. If he can average 15-17 a game the rest of the way, Alabama should be in good shape.
Agreed. He seemed to have solved his shooting woes on the road, which is a huge sign. If we can get Jones playing better offensively, we can be a dangerous team. I really think he holds the key. He is obviously a great defender, but just seemed to be much more comfortable with the ball in his hands last season. Get Danta involved in the offense early on, and we can make some serious noise. I think 9 conference wins gets us in the dance, especially if we can get the victory over Baylor.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Will we hear from linnie after a beat down of a Top 20 team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
I would love for him to make a post regarding last night win.

Sorry guys, I was in meetings most of the morning and just getting around to checking the board. I was THRILLED with what I saw last night. Here are the positives:

1. Taking care of the basketball. Even with Ole Miss switching defenses often, we did a great job of protecting the ball for the most part.
2. A concerted effort to get the ball inside paid huge dividends. I hope to see more of this going forward.
3. We did not just ride the hot hand of one player for the most part. Petty was hot, but it wasn't just him firing away from 3.
4. Petty being aggressive driving to the basket while also handling the ball well.
5. Jones appeared to be much more comfortable with the ball in his hands, a huge improvement over the last several games. Hopefully, this is a sign of things to come.
6. G. Smith came to play and was very effective not only helping with rebounds, but scoring as well.
7. Appeared to have better spacing on offense and passed the ball well in offensive sets.
8. Good team defense. Really limited them.
9. D. Hall continues to amaze me. He had another double-double last night. He also appears to want to go to the free throw line. I am not sure I have seen a player improve as much over the course of his career. Perhaps Roy Rogers who went from a mop-up duty player to all-SEC in one season.

Overall, I am encouraged from what I have seen over the last few games. Baylor is huge. Get a win there and we start to really position ourselves well. There are no gimmes in conference this year so our guys will have to be very mature and come ready to play every night. Given that, I think we can get to 9 conference wins which should make us a lock. A month ago, I would have said we would have been fortunate to get to 6 conference wins.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama

My sentiments as well. I admit I felt just like linniepatrick after the aTm game. However, the most recent 2 games give me hope that this bunch will get it together. Still to be seen if they can maintain the intensity and consistency shown in the last 2 games. Still a lot of potential that hope comes from D Ingram and H Jones. They did play better vs Ole Miss.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Beating Baylor will be tough. They just dropped a ranked Texas Tech team at home recently then went to beat a West Virginia team, who had just upset Kansas. 13 games left....I think 9 or 10 wins is doable. Would be disappointed if we didn't win 8.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I must say that I have been impressed with Petty the last few games. It was less about his three point shot than his ability to drive and either get the short jumper or take the ball to the rim. He has improved because I will admit to wondering what all the fuss was about with him last year. Unfortunately, I think Herb Jones has gone the opposite way. I really liked his game a lot last year even though he had the occasional bone headed pass or turnover. This year he looks like he isn't comfortable at all, and a guy with his athleticism should never look that awkward on the court. I hope he finds his groove again. Right now he just needs to play monster defense, rebound, and attack the offensive glass for momentum changing dunks.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Beating Baylor will be tough. They just dropped a ranked Texas Tech team at home recently then went to beat a West Virginia team, who had just upset Kansas. 13 games left....I think 9 or 10 wins is doable. Would be disappointed if we didn't win 8.
Baylor is a small team -- that gives me hope.

Their main rotation is 6'1, 6'1, 6'3, 6'3, 6'5, 6'7, 6'9

We should have a nice height advantage....and should control the boards....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Baylor is 12-6 right. They lost to Ole miss 78-70 They beat Arizona 58-49. This is a team I'm little concerned about. They are not a consistent team. I am not impressed with their schedule this year. Their best win is Iowa State and Texas Tech. TTU got a weird thing going on right now with three game losing streaks. Baylor turns over the ball a lot on the court according to their stats. Makai mason has 38, Tristan Clark 24, King McClure 40 and Mark Vital 40. Baylor doesn't defend 3's well... Only thing they got going on is their defense. They defend the basket well. We have to be on point with our offensive and try not to foul because Baylor doesn't get to Free throw often.

We should be able to beat them by 10 points... We just have to sustain our 2nd half runs.... and make our FT.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Curious then how they get their rebounds. They average +6.6 rebounding margin. Alabama averages a +6.7 margin.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.