I come in peace, and with respect - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: I come in peace, and with respect

Allow me to preface my question by saying your guys beat our butts, ate our lunch and stole our girlfriends. Having gotten that out of the way, I`ve seen it reported that Clemson spent relatively little time preparing for the ACC championship game and perhaps even less when it came to ND, while using the lion`s share of the off time to prepare for Alabama. Would you concur that that`s accurate? Not presenting that as an excuse, mind, your team was far better coached and prepared. I know for a fact, though, that we in no way could afford to essentially ignore UGA and OU.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    Allow me to preface my question by saying your guys beat our butts, ate our lunch and stole our girlfriends. Having gotten that out of the way, I`ve seen it reported that Clemson spent relatively little time preparing for the ACC championship game and perhaps even less when it came to ND, while using the lion`s share of the off time to prepare for Alabama. Would you concur that that`s accurate? Not presenting that as an excuse, mind, your team was far better coached and prepared. I know for a fact, though, that we in no way could afford to essentially ignore UGA and OU.
    i'm sorry, but wasn't Pitt like 7-5...and they finished 7-7?

that alone tells you how pathetic the ACC was last year.

don't get me wrong, they took us to the woodshed and then knocked the woodshed over on us and they deserve all the praise they are getting.

but couple the conference with ND in the semifinal and Clemson basically had the whole season to prepare for us.

BamaNation Third Team

Iíd say that Iíve heard those rumors, and they are probably true. It is a fact that Georgia and Oklahoma were much larger obstacles than Pitt and ND.

On the flip side, it kind of surprised me to hear we didnít really prepare for ND, I know they arenít Oklahoma or Georgia...but for the staff to be that confident in our chances against the #3 team shows how far weíve come.

Heck, Iíve heard weíve been preparing for the Tide since last January. Which goes to show the (deserved) respect we had for your team.

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    i'm sorry, but wasn't Pitt like 7-5...and they finished 7-7?

that alone tells you how pathetic the ACC was last year.

don't get me wrong, they took us to the woodshed and then knocked the woodshed over on us and they deserve all the praise they are getting.

but couple the conference with ND in the semifinal and Clemson basically had the whole season to prepare for us.
    Yep. I just admitted as much.

BamaNation All-SEC UntouchableCrew's Avatar

The key to the future of the ACC is probably FSU. If Taggart continues to flop there the ACC is pretty much a slam dunk every season. Miami and GA Tech could theoretically recruit enough talent to win but have other serious obstacles.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaneJacks View Post
    I’d say that I’ve heard those rumors, and they are probably true. It is a fact that Georgia and Oklahoma were much larger obstacles than Pitt and ND.

On the flip side, it kind of surprised me to hear we didn’t really prepare for ND, I know they aren’t Oklahoma or Georgia...but for the staff to be that confident in our chances against the #3 team shows how far we’ve come.

Heck, I’ve heard we’ve been preparing for the Tide since last January. Which goes to show the (deserved) respect we had for your team.
    I think Clemson did, in regard to us beating them last year in the playoff what we did to Florida when they beat us in the 2008 SECCG.

In 2009, we knew the key to the whole season would be defeating them...UT was simply a bump in the road after UF.

That's exactly what Clemson did this year...everything was about beating Bama and it showed when we met on the field.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

Congrats on winning the NC, there's no doubt Y'all deserve it & damn well earned it, there's no reason why we won't play for it all again next year & I like our chances of winning it next year if we play again..Cause Coach Saban doesn't lose twice in a row to the same team..

Clemson fan here. I know Iíll get some pushback, and I wonít respond negatively unless itís crazy egregious.

Your program has been the model of consistency and power for over a decade, and your coach a legend. Some of us respect that immensely, and have hoped our programs could possibly achieve the same someday. While we arenít quite there, we are getting there.

Iíve been reading here for the last few weeks and enjoy the level headedness most on here possess. I guess when youíre elite idiocy isnít needed. Comparing this to the Gamecock boards is like night and day. The delusion over there is intense, itís like itís another language Iím not privy to.

Anyway, good to be here and, hopefully, welcomed.
    Curious about your own personal feelings about Dabo and what might potentially happen whenever CNS retires? The general assumption is Dabo would get the first call, but many feel he'd stay at Clemson. What's your (and other Clemson fans) take on it?

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I wouldn't apologize for it either. If you're able to do it then do it. You could tell your staff left absolutely zero stone un-turned when preparing for Bama. It actually reminded me (lord I hate to even compare it to this game) of the 1992 Bama against "Thug U" Miami when we dog stomped them all over the field. The preparation put into that game was unreal. There was nothing they did we didn't have something waiting for it. It appeared to me Clemson was THAT prepared. I'll be honest, I think playing in the ACC gives y'all a much easier path to the playoff and allows y'all to use a lot of games as "practice" or "scrimmage" games. I watched several of y'alls conference games and it was pitiful how much y'all out-man/out-talent everyone else in the conference. There's no one even close. But again, it's nothing you need to apologize for, that's not Clemson's fault that the other teams are bad. Like Dabo said, if he can do it then anyone can. And to some degree I think he's right. What Dabo is doing at Clemson, IMO, is on trajectory to be at the same level as what Bowden did at FSU. It's also one of the main reasons I don't think Dabo will ever step foot on the sidelines in Tuscaloosa our head coach. Bowden didn't shy away from it, he basically admitted that he'd rather stay in his conference coaching FSU be in the SEC.

I’d say that I’ve heard those rumors, and they are probably true. It is a fact that Georgia and Oklahoma were much larger obstacles than Pitt and ND.

On the flip side, it kind of surprised me to hear we didn’t really prepare for ND, I know they aren’t Oklahoma or Georgia...but for the staff to be that confident in our chances against the #3 team shows how far we’ve come.

Heck, I’ve heard we’ve been preparing for the Tide since last January. Which goes to show the (deserved) respect we had for your team.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Curious about your own personal feelings about Dabo and what might potentially happen whenever CNS retires? The general assumption is Dabo would get the first call, but many feel he'd stay at Clemson. What's your (and other Clemson fans) take on it?
    I think heís be a fool to leave Clemson. Heís building something of his own here, much like Saban did at Bama. And following Saban??? Career suicide imo unless you come straight in winning titles.

Letís face it, you guys are demanding, and thatís a good thing. Clemson fans are now getting that way, Iíd feel bad for anyone following Dabo at this point.

I think he stays, but I know home ties are strong, maybe Iím just hopeful.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

In hindsight we should have all expected Clemson to be fresher than Alabama in the finals. Not an excuse bet there's no doubt that playing an emotional and physical game vs UGA and then having to play down in the Miami heat and humidity had us off kilter a little bit. Especially compared to playing Pitt and Notre Dame But congrats you guys won on the field and that's all that matters..

I think he’s be a fool to leave Clemson. He’s building something of his own here, much like Saban did at Bama. And following Saban??? Career suicide imo unless you come straight in winning titles.

Let’s face it, you guys are demanding, and that’s a good thing. Clemson fans are now getting that way, I’d feel bad for anyone following Dabo at this point.

I think he stays, but I know home ties are strong, maybe I’m just hopeful.
    It'll be fascinating whenever (we hope it's years) it happens. Many here disagree, but I personally like Dabo and think it's compelling he's got his own process that now has multiple NCs to prove it works. It's totally different from CNS, but I admire both and think it's healthy for the game.

BamaNation All-American

mind you, i don't take anything away from you guys.

honestly, i thought you'd win, just not beat us to a pulp like you did.

but it has to help playing the teams you guys play week in and week out.