I come in peace, and with respect

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Every year there are examples of unfocused teams going down to far weaker competition even in weaker conferences. Ohio State has provided some examples of that in recent years. Clemson also did in 2017 and 2016 already. We have been blessed (mainly by Saint Saban's training process) to survive some of those close calls on down weeks over the most recent years (albeit in a tougher league).
i think some people also forget that two times we've won the NC we had to have help from teams in front of us losing to even get the chance.

there's a good bit of luck that goes into winning championships a lot of the time.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
I'm a little late to the thread, but congrats on the win and the overall position of the Clemson program. Dabo is a great coach and I'm happy for him and proud of his association with Alabama. I never expect to see him walking the sideline at Alabama like some do, and many in the lazy sports media assume. I think he has already cemented himself in Clemson lore and will only become more of an institution there.

I expect Clemson and Dabo to continue to dominate the ACC for the foreseeable future, and the coaching attrition brought on by it will be similar to what Saban has caused in the SEC.

TheShaneJacks

Jan 21, 2019
I'm a little late to the thread, but congrats on the win and the overall position of the Clemson program. Dabo is a great coach and I'm happy for him and proud of his association with Alabama. I never expect to see him walking the sideline at Alabama like some do, and many in the lazy sports media assume. I think he has already cemented himself in Clemson lore and will only become more of an institution there.

I expect Clemson and Dabo to continue to dominate the ACC for the foreseeable future, and the coaching attrition brought on by it will be similar to what Saban has caused in the SEC.
That’s a point I’ve not thought of: the attrition of coaches because of Dabo’s dominance in the ACC.

On a side note, Dabo and Danny Pearman (tight ends coach) were at my son’s high school to watch their sons play basketball against our team. I spoke briefly and congratulated them both, but wasn’t “that guy” and didn’t get a picture, though most everyone else in attendance did.

It has to be annoying getting all that attention. I’d not take it very well tbh.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
That’s a point I’ve not thought of: the attrition of coaches because of Dabo’s dominance in the ACC.

On a side note, Dabo and Danny Pearman (tight ends coach) were at my son’s high school to watch their sons play basketball against our team. I spoke briefly and congratulated them both, but wasn’t “that guy” and didn’t get a picture, though most everyone else in attendance did.

It has to be annoying getting all that attention. I’d not take it very well tbh.
By the way, I also have to agree with the sentiments of many here regarding the urange. While not as putrid of a shade as the ut version, pairing it with purple is either devoid of good taste or a sure sign of color blindness. :biggrin:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Every year there are examples of unfocused teams going down to far weaker competition even in weaker conferences. Ohio State has provided some examples of that in recent years. Clemson also did in 2017 and 2016 already. We have been blessed (mainly by Saint Saban's training process) to survive some of those close calls on down weeks over the most recent years (albeit in a tougher league).
i think some people also forget that two times we've won the NC we had to have help from teams in front of us losing to even get the chance.

there's a good bit of luck that goes into winning championships a lot of the time.
Ohio State beat us in the playoffs in 2014 and went on to win the NC that year. They had everyone back the next year - Zeke, Bosa, the QBs, lineman, etc. If you would have told someone after the 2014 season that OSU would only make the playoffs 1 time in the next 4 yearss - and lose that game 31-0 - nobody would have believed you. It's very hard to maintain that level of success. Only Saban has done it at the same school in the modern era..

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
True, but at least tOSU plays warm bodies during the regular season...
Ohio State beat us in the playoffs in 2014 and went on to win the NC that year. They had everyone back the next year - Zeke, Bosa, the QBs, lineman, etc. If you would have told someone after the 2014 season that OSU would only make the playoffs 1 time in the next 4 yours - and lose that game 31-0 - nobody would have believed you. It's very hard to maintain that level of success. Only Saban has done it at the same school in the modern era..

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Ohio State beat us in the playoffs in 2014 and went on to win the NC that year. They had everyone back the next year - Zeke, Bosa, the QBs, lineman, etc. If you would have told someone after the 2014 season that OSU would only make the playoffs 1 time in the next 4 yours - and lose that game 31-0 - nobody would have believed you. It's very hard to maintain that level of success. Only Saban has done it at the same school in the modern era..
that really has no bearing on my point.

2 of the 5 times we've won national titles under Saban, we had to wait until the end of the season for someone to lose in order for us to make the field.

that's not a criticism of Saban or the program, it's simply a comment on the fact that sometimes it takes external forces to get a title.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

2 of the 5 times we've won national titles under Saban, we had to wait until the end of the season for someone to lose in order for us to make the field.

that's not a criticism of Saban or the program, it's simply a comment on the fact that sometimes it takes external forces to get a title.
It shows how hard it is for even the elite teams to make the playoffs and do well there. It's a combination of luck and skill. Clemson had both going for them in spades last year. History would suggest a slight reversion for them this year..

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
It shows how hard it is for even the elite teams to make the playoffs and do well there. It's a combination of luck and skill. Clemson had both going for them in spades last year. History would suggest a slight reversion for them this year..
anything short of winning the title will be a reversion for them.

i'm proud of our team and i have great faith in our head coach.

if we don't win another title the rest of his tenure, however long that may be, his time at Bama will have been an unbelievable success.

we've become spoiled to the point that we're now questioning him on things like who should play and when?.

other people can go there if they want, I'm not.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
anything short of winning the title will be a reversion for them.

i'm proud of our team and i have great faith in our head coach.

if we don't win another title the rest of his tenure, however long that may be, his time at Bama will have been an unbelievable success.

we've become spoiled to the point that we're now questioning him on things like who should play and when?.

other people can go there if they want, I'm not.

He could not win another title at Alabama and walkaway as the greatest college football coach of all time and owner of the greatest dynasty in college football history. And it's not even up for debate. It's that clear cut.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
He could not win another title at Alabama and walkaway as the greatest college football coach of all time and owner of the greatest dynasty in college football history. And it's not even up for debate. It's that clear cut.
yup.

i have to keep telling my 9 year old that this will end sooner than later...he has no idea what i'm talking about.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Wasn't there a second upset that night too? A kick off of a crossbar?

Update...I'm wrong...#'s 4 (Oregon) & 5 (USC) both lost that night too, but we were #3..
Iowa St upsetting Okie St, sending us to play the tiggers in Nawlin's.

Last edited:

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA

I agree completely. Winning a national championship is a crapshoot. The stars need to align and maybe then God will smile on you.

I’ve lived through three dynasties at Alabama. It takes miracles to finish.

Maybe that’s what makes it so sweet.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Arkansas-v-Ole Miss...4th and 32? That play doesn't happen and Ole Miss is in the SECCG. We don't win 16 without that miraculously lucky play.
Why did we need Ole Miss to lose that game? Because we had an incredibly unlucky night vs them(see the crazy bad snap play). So we need luck to make the championship because we were unlucky?

I'm not saying luck plays no part but it's often overstated by fans IMO.

Especially in sports with little parity.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I guess Im confused. You said that luck is overstated, I pointed out an example of being lucky and you used an additional lucky example to say that luck wasn't involved? :pDT_kap:

FTR...I get your point, just having fun.on TideFans.com

Why did we need Ole Miss to lose that game? Because we had an incredibly unlucky night vs them(see the crazy bad snap play). So we need luck to make the championship because we were unlucky?

I'm not saying luck plays no part but it's often overstated by fans IMO.

Especially in sports with little parity.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.