I come in peace, and with respect

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Clemson fan here. I know I’ll get some pushback, and I won’t respond negatively unless it’s crazy egregious.

Your program has been the model of consistency and power for over a decade, and your coach a legend. Some of us respect that immensely, and have hoped our programs could possibly achieve the same someday. While we aren’t quite there, we are getting there.

I’ve been reading here for the last few weeks and enjoy the level headedness most on here possess. I guess when you’re elite idiocy isn’t needed. Comparing this to the Gamecock boards is like night and day. The delusion over there is intense, it’s like it’s another language I’m not privy to.

Anyway, good to be here and, hopefully, welcomed.
Curious about your own personal feelings about Dabo and what might potentially happen whenever CNS retires? The general assumption is Dabo would get the first call, but many feel he'd stay at Clemson. What's your (and other Clemson fans) take on it?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I wouldn't apologize for it either. If you're able to do it then do it. You could tell your staff left absolutely zero stone un-turned when preparing for Bama. It actually reminded me (lord I hate to even compare it to this game) of the 1992 Bama against "Thug U" Miami when we dog stomped them all over the field. The preparation put into that game was unreal. There was nothing they did we didn't have something waiting for it. It appeared to me Clemson was THAT prepared. I'll be honest, I think playing in the ACC gives y'all a much easier path to the playoff and allows y'all to use a lot of games as "practice" or "scrimmage" games. I watched several of y'alls conference games and it was pitiful how much y'all out-man/out-talent everyone else in the conference. There's no one even close. But again, it's nothing you need to apologize for, that's not Clemson's fault that the other teams are bad. Like Dabo said, if he can do it then anyone can. And to some degree I think he's right. What Dabo is doing at Clemson, IMO, is on trajectory to be at the same level as what Bowden did at FSU. It's also one of the main reasons I don't think Dabo will ever step foot on the sidelines in Tuscaloosa our head coach. Bowden didn't shy away from it, he basically admitted that he'd rather stay in his conference coaching FSU be in the SEC.

I’d say that I’ve heard those rumors, and they are probably true. It is a fact that Georgia and Oklahoma were much larger obstacles than Pitt and ND.

On the flip side, it kind of surprised me to hear we didn’t really prepare for ND, I know they aren’t Oklahoma or Georgia...but for the staff to be that confident in our chances against the #3 team shows how far we’ve come.

Heck, I’ve heard we’ve been preparing for the Tide since last January. Which goes to show the (deserved) respect we had for your team.

TheShaneJacks

Jan 21, 2019
Curious about your own personal feelings about Dabo and what might potentially happen whenever CNS retires? The general assumption is Dabo would get the first call, but many feel he'd stay at Clemson. What's your (and other Clemson fans) take on it?
I think he’s be a fool to leave Clemson. He’s building something of his own here, much like Saban did at Bama. And following Saban??? Career suicide imo unless you come straight in winning titles.

Let’s face it, you guys are demanding, and that’s a good thing. Clemson fans are now getting that way, I’d feel bad for anyone following Dabo at this point.

I think he stays, but I know home ties are strong, maybe I’m just hopeful.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I’d say that I’ve heard those rumors, and they are probably true. It is a fact that Georgia and Oklahoma were much larger obstacles than Pitt and ND.

On the flip side, it kind of surprised me to hear we didn’t really prepare for ND, I know they aren’t Oklahoma or Georgia...but for the staff to be that confident in our chances against the #3 team shows how far we’ve come.

Heck, I’ve heard we’ve been preparing for the Tide since last January. Which goes to show the (deserved) respect we had for your team.
In hindsight we should have all expected Clemson to be fresher than Alabama in the finals. Not an excuse bet there's no doubt that playing an emotional and physical game vs UGA and then having to play down in the Miami heat and humidity had us off kilter a little bit. Especially compared to playing Pitt and Notre Dame But congrats you guys won on the field and that's all that matters..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think he’s be a fool to leave Clemson. He’s building something of his own here, much like Saban did at Bama. And following Saban??? Career suicide imo unless you come straight in winning titles.

Let’s face it, you guys are demanding, and that’s a good thing. Clemson fans are now getting that way, I’d feel bad for anyone following Dabo at this point.

It'll be fascinating whenever (we hope it's years) it happens. Many here disagree, but I personally like Dabo and think it's compelling he's got his own process that now has multiple NCs to prove it works. It's totally different from CNS, but I admire both and think it's healthy for the game.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
mind you, i don't take anything away from you guys.

honestly, i thought you'd win, just not beat us to a pulp like you did.

but it has to help playing the teams you guys play week in and week out.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

King Dabo. No question in my mind he would be really stupid to leave Clemson where he is really The King. I don't know the inside scoop but if the admin treats him the way he ought to be treated (gives him his way as long as it doesn't break rules) I can't see him ever leaving Clemson. I wouldn't.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
mind you, i don't take anything away from you guys.

honestly, i thought you'd win, just not beat us to a pulp like you did.

but it has to help playing the teams you guys play week in and week out.
Some perspective on how bad it was. I`ve been watching Alabama football a long time ( since `58 ). The game that came to mind for me was the 1972 Orange Bowl. Nebraska just obliterated us 38-6. There may have been one, but I can`t remember our being dominated so thoroughly from then until the Clemson game, certainly not when there was so much on the line and both teams were so highly ranked.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
King Dabo. No question in my mind he would be really stupid to leave Clemson where he is really The King. I don't know the inside scoop but if the admin treats him the way he ought to be treated (gives him his way as long as it doesn't break rules) I can't see him ever leaving Clemson. I wouldn't.
Same here. I don't know why he would ever leave. He's still in the South, after all. He is killing it in recruiting and on the field performance. Only reason to ever leave on his own would be because he just decides he needs a change. At this point, even on the field performance dropping somewhat would not be the reason that Clemson might part ways with him. 2 titles in 3 years. In the CFP 4 years in a row. Nothing less than what Alabama has done. Same exact record over past 4 seasons. I do not think he would come to Alabama easily, but he might come to Alabama. The Alabama job is different than just about any other job, except maybe Texas or Notre Dame, in that it's more akin to an NFL job.

Congrats to OP on the title. 2nd in 3 years. To be the best, you have to beat the best, a wise man once said. Clemson did it, and they are the best. For now:)

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Welcome to the board and congratulations on the national title. Well deserved and no questioned it was earned.

To find a silver lining (if there truly is one to find) I guess if we were going to get the brakes beat off of us, at least it was by a "Bama Boy". But regardless, Bama fans hate losing and I would have much rather just won the game. LOL!

I'm curious as to your opinion on if Dabo is going to continue to be able to keep his staff together. It is simply amazing that after the success y'all have had that the majority of the key coordinators and assistant coaches have remained. I know Venables staying has pretty much been explained away as "He doesn't want to be a HC and is happy staying in his current position as long as they'll have him." But what keeps the rest of them there? NO ONE is interested in a promotion? The coaching turnover has eaten us alive and up until this season, we've been able to navigate around its potential consequences. But it got us this year. I'm just amazed that Dabo is able to convince the majority of his staff to forego career promotions (and potentially millions of dollars) and stick around.
I agree. Why programs all over the country aren't beating down Venebal's door is astonishing. If I was the AD at USC (the real one) I'd be on a plane knocking on his door with a Brinks truck right behind me.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That is where the weak schedule advantage really came into play. Clemson was able to make it through their regular season and post-season schedule unscathed even though they were not focused on each opponent only because each opponent was so weak. In the SEC, without adequate focus on each opponent, they lose many games. It simply is not possible to make it out of the SEC like that.

Huge advantage for Clemson, and it will still exist next year. But next year, Clemson will not be solid enough because of their decimated defensive front seven to make it through undefeated if they follow the same path - even with the weak schedule. Dabo will have to treat every opponent with respect next yar or they will not make it to the CFP. But, if they make it, Alabama will be there waiting.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
That is where the weak schedule advantage really came into play. Clemson was able to make it through their regular season and post-season schedule unscathed even though they were not focused on each opponent only because each opponent was so weak. In the SEC, without adequate focus on each opponent, they lose many games. It simply is not possible to make it out of the SEC like that.

Huge advantage for Clemson, and it will still exist next year. But next year, Clemson will not be solid enough because of their decimated defensive front seven to make it through undefeated if they follow the same path - even with the weak schedule. Dabo will have to treat every opponent with respect next yar or they will not make it to the CFP. But, if they make it, Alabama will be there waiting.
Clemson's game against Texas A&M will be a very telling game next year. To me one of the more impressive things about what CNS has done at Bama is his ability to reload after losing loads of talent year after year. While recruiting plays a big part in that, it goes much deeper than that. That said, this is somewhat new territory for Clemson with regards to replacing that much talent all at once. While I'm not sure that anyone in the ACC can expose the talent that Clemson lost, Texas A&M might (MIGHT) can. Even if Clemson loses to A&M, I still expect them to make the playoff next year because I'm not sure that anyone in the ACC can hang with them. Personally UGA is the team that I'm most concerned about going into next year...but I also think Kirby is also trending in new territory with that program so it'll be interesting to see how they respond next year as well. Just shooting from the hip, I think that UGA, Bama, Clemson and Oklahoma are the favorites to make the playoffs; with LSU, Ohio State and maybe even Texas poised to possibly make a run as well. I mean geez, is it September yet!?!?!?!

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
At the current trajectory our teams have in place, I can see "Bama/Clemson fatigue" setting in for the rest of the CF nation, if not already, then certainly after one more CFCG against one another. I know folks have gotten tired of us as a top program for a number of years. I love it...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I always cringe a bit when the title reads "I come in peace", half expecting it to be anything but... (our posters from "rival" playoff teams especially have been troublesome at times)

But TheShaneJacks, you seem like a reasonable fellow and have stayed true to your word. Thanks for that.

Out of curiosity, what is behind your username?

Also, what regular season team do you see giving Clemson the most trouble this coming season and why?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The patronizing in this thread is unbearable. Welcome to Tidefans. Enjoy your win, it won’t happen again! Guaranteed! Not my promise, coach Saban’s actions back that up! ROLL TIDE!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The patronizing in this thread is unbearable. Welcome to Tidefans. Enjoy your win, it won’t happen again! Guaranteed! Not my promise, coach Saban’s actions back that up! ROLL TIDE!
We welcome our guests and treat them with respect. Call it southern hospitality.

And while I hope and pray you're right about the rest, there's nothing wrong with congratulating a worthy opponent or welcoming an classy opposing fan with class. Win with class, lose with class.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

It says a lot about Notre Dame. Just like in 2012, they simply did not belong. Any number of teams would have been a tougher opponent to prepare for.

TheShaneJacks

Jan 21, 2019
Clemson's game against Texas A&M will be a very telling game next year. To me one of the more impressive things about what CNS has done at Bama is his ability to reload after losing loads of talent year after year. While recruiting plays a big part in that, it goes much deeper than that. That said, this is somewhat new territory for Clemson with regards to replacing that much talent all at once. While I'm not sure that anyone in the ACC can expose the talent that Clemson lost, Texas A&M might (MIGHT) can. Even if Clemson loses to A&M, I still expect them to make the playoff next year because I'm not sure that anyone in the ACC can hang with them. Personally UGA is the team that I'm most concerned about going into next year...but I also think Kirby is also trending in new territory with that program so it'll be interesting to see how they respond next year as well. Just shooting from the hip, I think that UGA, Bama, Clemson and Oklahoma are the favorites to make the playoffs; with LSU, Ohio State and maybe even Texas poised to possibly make a run as well. I mean geez, is it September yet!?!?!?!
The A&M game was weird. Admittedly, our DBs were way off. BUT...honestly Mond played out of his mind. And those receivers made plays that remind me of current Clemson receivers and Bama receivers of a few years back. I’ve not watched them since, maybe they are consistently that clutch.

For our sake next year, I hope not. Mond is legit, don’t get me wrong. But some of those third downs were just deflating.

Last edited:

TheShaneJacks

Jan 21, 2019
I always cringe a bit when the title reads "I come in peace", half expecting it to be anything but... (our posters from "rival" playoff teams especially have been troublesome at times)

But TheShaneJacks, you seem like a reasonable fellow and have stayed true to your word. Thanks for that.

Out of curiosity, what is behind your username?

Also, what regular season team do you see giving Clemson the most trouble this coming season and why?

The username: So I’m in a fairly new industry as a whole and have been in it since basically it’s genesis, back in 94. Paintless dent repair. It’s a skill trade, almost an art form. Since the start I’ve been pretty good at it, currently I’m one of the global “leaders” in repairs, etc.

Back around 2000 or so, a buddy in the same field dubbed me “The Shane”, referring to my skill set. He called himself the “Anti Shane”. It was all a joke until some jealous haters picked up on the name (not by my efforts, but others), and I ran with the name. It’s now a term of endearment by those that follow me or respect me, and a jab at the haters.

Means nothing here in this world, only in my niche trade and market.

Most trouble: A&M, SoCar.

TheShaneJacks

Jan 21, 2019
I wouldn’t expect you to react any other way!! I’ll not guarantee anything here, I’m a guest just here to talk fooseball with a fan base other than mine.

Birds of a feather....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.