Is it true Golding was calling plays as early as October? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Re: Is it true Golding was calling plays as early as October?

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Honestly this is one reason I'm hoping that Kelly ends up being co-defensive coordinator. Clearly there were some issues, and while I think most the blame lies with Tosh (not necessarily his fault, from what I read even he wasn't sure he was ready to do it), it's hard to say Golding performed his job perfectly either.

I know a lot of people don't like the job he did, but Charles Kelly was by himself as defensive coordinator for three straight top 20 defenses, in a power 5 conference. Even if he's not the one doing everything, I'd think he'd be plenty capable of providing what was missing (he was also linebackers coach at Florida St.). I think it's a little naive to assume you just remove Tosh and Golding becomes a lot better. Golding was defensive coordinator in the C-USA for a couple of years, he's young, and he's still learning on the job...
    I'm going to say this.... I think at one point, I'm pretty sure Saban said it is hard to make adjustments during the season. Where do they find the time to fix the issues on defense? They can put short term solution out there, but to truly fix it, you would have to do it in off season.

Check out the old article on how they manage the Game week: https://www.sbnation.com/a/college-f...ches-work-week
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    In the 2017 playoffs Mack and Moses were absolute beasts. You struggled against Auburn because you were playing a baseball player at ILB for a few games before you totally trusted Moses in the role. Mack played so well down the stretch that he was considered a top 15 draft pick entering the 2018 season. Mack and Moses both regressed this year. Again, I don't know why, I just see the results. 2019 has to be better.
    No, Moses didnít record a single tackle against Clemson or UGA in the playoffs because Evans was back, but Mack did play pretty well but didnít have as much responsibility when Evans was out there. Mack Wilson has always been boom or bust, even last year. Thatís the point Iím making. These 2 guys out there together have never shown to be consistent. Iím like you - I donít why that is - but thatís the truth.

I do agree they struggled this year, but they did last year too when Evans wasnít on the field.

In the Clemson game, moving Moses to OLB in place of Miller was certainly not a good call. Iím not sure who made that call, but it wasnít a good one.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    I do agree they struggled this year, but they did last year too when Evans wasn’t on the field.
    Agree to disagree. Moses and Mack were super-stars in 2017 when they played. Frankly, I don't see how you can't see it. The baseball player - he couldn't tackle anyone in the open field, and that made the group look bad, but Moses and Mack were great in 2017. So great that NFL scouts were drooling over them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

The thing for us to remember is this is CNS's defense and he'll make sure he gets it fixed. The rare years our defense struggles, he figures it out, makes adjustments and it usually gets better real fast. IOW, I'd be shocked if we see the same struggles next year.

I think the real question mark is what our offense looks like next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I think the real question mark is what our offense looks like next year.
    Good point. I expect it to be much different - more pro-set, fewer RPOs, fewer deep to shallow pass progressions plays. I hope that you continue to leverage your RBs and TEs in the pass game, and I hope that you continue to take deep shots (just not as many).

Agree to disagree. Moses and Mack were super-stars in 2017 when they played. Frankly, I don't see how you can't see it. The baseball player - he couldn't tackle anyone in the open field, and that made the group look bad, but Moses and Mack were great in 2017. So great that NFL scouts were drooling over them.
    Lol - Ok. When was that? Against Citadel? Moses was really only in impressive in that game. I know because I was sitting there watching it. Up until that game, he had never had more than 2 tackles in any game in mop up duty. He had 11 tackles (10 solo) against Citadel and 10 tackles (6 solo) against AU. He broke his foot and missed the playoffs, so Iím not sure what you think you are remembering about Moses ďbeing a beast in the playoffsĒ and being a superstar last year, but he only played significant snaps in 2 games, Citadel and AU. He looked good against Citadel and looked lost against AU.

Iím not hating on the guy. I think he has potential to be great, but he hasnít played to his athletic ability or potential yet - this year or last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    When was that? Against Citadel?
    That was 2018 - I am talking about 2017. And, yes, his play was limited in 2017, but when he played, he was great. In 2018 - not so much.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Good point. I expect it to be much different - more pro-set, fewer RPOs, fewer deep to shallow pass progressions plays. I hope that you continue to leverage your RBs and TEs in the pass game, and I hope that you continue to take deep shots (just not as many).
    RPO is here to stay... IMO. It will be part of offense, but I think we're leaning toward Spread offense.. with a balance of run game. If we were leanding toward PRO, We would've kept Eno....
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    RPO is here to stay... IMO. It will be part of offense, but I think we're leaning toward Spread offense.. with a balance of run game. If we were leanding toward PRO, We would've kept Eno....
    Agree that it is here to stay, but it shouldn't be the meat and potatoes of your offense, IMO. Mix it in to keep defenses guessing, but I hate it as the base offense.

That was 2018 - I am talking about 2017. And, yes, his play was limited in 2017, but when he played, he was great. In 2018 - not so much.
    Youíre right, I misspoke - that was Mercer last year, not Citadel. But that was only game he played at any level near great. He looked raw but very talented against AU, but thatís the only game we relied on him in, and it wasnít pretty.

Whether the issue is Golding or whatever, it definitely has to be fixed.

BamaNation All-American

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't RPO's a big part of Sark's offenses. Pretty sure he even brought some of it to the Falcons. If that's the case RPOs will probably be a large part of the offense.

The question is will the design of them change at all.

Agree that it is here to stay, but it shouldn't be the meat and potatoes of your offense, IMO. Mix it in to keep defenses guessing, but I hate it as the base offense.
    I agree, especially when there is 100% no need to do so.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I agree the RPO will likely still be used and Tua is real good at making that read, especially on the slants.

But, I hope to see some power formations. I'd love to see us using the H-back or even a full back as a blocker sometimes on short yardage plays or 1 and 10 and being able to use play action. There's more than one way to skin a cat!