Is it true Golding was calling plays as early as October?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Good point. I expect it to be much different - more pro-set, fewer RPOs, fewer deep to shallow pass progressions plays. I hope that you continue to leverage your RBs and TEs in the pass game, and I hope that you continue to take deep shots (just not as many).
RPO is here to stay... IMO. It will be part of offense, but I think we're leaning toward Spread offense.. with a balance of run game. If we were leanding toward PRO, We would've kept Eno....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
RPO is here to stay... IMO. It will be part of offense, but I think we're leaning toward Spread offense.. with a balance of run game. If we were leanding toward PRO, We would've kept Eno....
Agree that it is here to stay, but it shouldn't be the meat and potatoes of your offense, IMO. Mix it in to keep defenses guessing, but I hate it as the base offense.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
That was 2018 - I am talking about 2017. And, yes, his play was limited in 2017, but when he played, he was great. In 2018 - not so much.
You’re right, I misspoke - that was Mercer last year, not Citadel. But that was only game he played at any level near great. He looked raw but very talented against AU, but that’s the only game we relied on him in, and it wasn’t pretty.

Whether the issue is Golding or whatever, it definitely has to be fixed.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't RPO's a big part of Sark's offenses. Pretty sure he even brought some of it to the Falcons. If that's the case RPOs will probably be a large part of the offense.

The question is will the design of them change at all.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agree that it is here to stay, but it shouldn't be the meat and potatoes of your offense, IMO. Mix it in to keep defenses guessing, but I hate it as the base offense.
I agree the RPO will likely still be used and Tua is real good at making that read, especially on the slants.

But, I hope to see some power formations. I'd love to see us using the H-back or even a full back as a blocker sometimes on short yardage plays or 1 and 10 and being able to use play action. There's more than one way to skin a cat!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't RPO's a big part of Sark's offenses. Pretty sure he even brought some of it to the Falcons. If that's the case RPOs will probably be a large part of the offense.

The question is will the design of them change at all.
Yes, he likes RPOs, but he also loves screen passes and the power run game.

Here is a video that he produced. I have not watched it, but my BiL says that it is essentially the Sark/Kiffin offense broken down.

https://www.championshipproductions...Run-Game-with-Perimeter-Screens_FD-04660.html

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Yes, he likes RPOs, but he also loves screen passes and the power run game.

Here is a video that he produced. I have not watched it, but my BiL says that it is essentially the Sark/Kiffin offense broken down.

https://www.championshipproductions...Run-Game-with-Perimeter-Screens_FD-04660.html
I think screens must have caused Locks physical pain, but he sure didn’t like to call them. I sat there watching teams bringing the house and teeing off on Tua, yelling for him to call a screen to slow down the rush.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
If the ESPN report was true, not sure we can 100% Judge Golding and here is why.

Pete was in the Press Box. He had to see the personnel on the field and then make a call to the sideline. The sideline then had to relay the call. Even if Tosh relays it as quickly as humanly possible, it takes 3 or 4 seconds to hear it and relay it. Then, based on any O shift, either Tosh was making the checks or, he had to wait for Pete and that delays getting the check to Mack by 3-4 seconds. In the end that could explain why the D looked like they were lost/confused at times.

In a way one could say if Pete put together the OU came plan and was calling the D, he showed to be a good coordinator based on Q1. The D game out and ate OU up in the first Q. Once OU made adjustments, the delay in getting checks to Mack created issues. (Again assuming Pete was calling the D from the box)
Hmmm. I wonder why Golding was in the Pressbox in the first place. Why couldn't they have swapped spots? So many questions...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm going to say this.... I think at one point, I'm pretty sure Saban said it is hard to make adjustments during the season. Where do they find the time to fix the issues on defense? They can put short term solution out there, but to truly fix it, you would have to do it in off season.

Check out the old article on how they manage the Game week: https://www.sbnation.com/a/college-football-preview-2015/coaches-work-week
I'm not trying to say Golding is not capable or that sort of thing, but... I'm just not sure how we got to the point that a lot of people are like yeah, just completely hand the defense over to Golding, but please keep Kelly away from the DC job. If Saban wanted to do that the entire time, he never had to promote Tosh. Golding went from facing C-USA teams, to facing championship caliber teams, that's a big step up.

I also think that's where people, for what ever reason, are selling Kelly short.

FSU faced Clemson and Watson in 2015. They held Clemson to 23 points, their second lowest total of the season. Clemson scored 40 on Alabama that year.
In 2016, FSU gave up 37 to Clemson. Clemson scored 35 against Alabama.
In 2017, FSU gave up 31 to Clemson, while in the process of having a really bad season. Alabama held them to 6 (clearly he's not Pruitt).

Thing is, once you total that up, and he gave up 91 to Clemson those 3 years, and then Alabama gave up 81. Now that's not great, that's not ok let's do what ever the genius says. But it does show that he's capable of going toe to toe with the big boys on defense. So, he brings an element of been there done that, that Golding doesn't really have.

In four meetings with Clemson, the most Kelly gave up was 37 (they gave up 17 in 2014). Alabama gave up more than that to Clemson twice in the past four meetings.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
If the ESPN report was true, not sure we can 100% Judge Golding and here is why.

Pete was in the Press Box. He had to see the personnel on the field and then make a call to the sideline. The sideline then had to relay the call. Even if Tosh relays it as quickly as humanly possible, it takes 3 or 4 seconds to hear it and relay it. Then, based on any O shift, either Tosh was making the checks or, he had to wait for Pete and that delays getting the check to Mack by 3-4 seconds. In the end that could explain why the D looked like they were lost/confused at times.

In a way one could say if Pete put together the OU came plan and was calling the D, he showed to be a good coordinator based on Q1. The D game out and ate OU up in the first Q. Once OU made adjustments, the delay in getting checks to Mack created issues. (Again assuming Pete was calling the D from the box)
Don't know how true that could be, but it would explain a lot of the problems getting folks shifted and defensive audibles called.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.