Is it true Golding was calling plays as early as October?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is it true Golding was calling plays as early as October?

I apologize if this is covered in other threads but I did not see it. An ESPN article indicates this to be the case.

Admin: I have noticed this issue in another post. Please remove.
    Last edited by bamamoss2; January 23rd, 2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Duplicated elsewhere
    "May the Tide Be with You"

BamaNation Second Team Superdad's Avatar

Re: Is it true Golding was calling plays as early as October?

If it is true, I was less than impressed with his last 3 games.

BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad View Post
    If it is true, I was less than impressed with his last 3 games.
    If the ESPN report was true, not sure we can 100% Judge Golding and here is why.

Pete was in the Press Box. He had to see the personnel on the field and then make a call to the sideline. The sideline then had to relay the call. Even if Tosh relays it as quickly as humanly possible, it takes 3 or 4 seconds to hear it and relay it. Then, based on any O shift, either Tosh was making the checks or, he had to wait for Pete and that delays getting the check to Mack by 3-4 seconds. In the end that could explain why the D looked like they were lost/confused at times.

In a way one could say if Pete put together the OU came plan and was calling the D, he showed to be a good coordinator based on Q1. The D game out and ate OU up in the first Q. Once OU made adjustments, the delay in getting checks to Mack created issues. (Again assuming Pete was calling the D from the box)
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    If the ESPN report was true, not sure we can 100% Judge Golding and here is why.

Pete was in the Press Box. He had to see the personnel on the field and then make a call to the sideline. The sideline then had to relay the call. Even if Tosh relays it as quickly as humanly possible, it takes 3 or 4 seconds to hear it and relay it. Then, based on any O shift, either Tosh was making the checks or, he had to wait for Pete and that delays getting the check to Mack by 3-4 seconds. In the end that could explain why the D looked like they were lost/confused at times.

In a way one could say if Pete put together the OU came plan and was calling the D, he showed to be a good coordinator based on Q1. The D game out and ate OU up in the first Q. Once OU made adjustments, the delay in getting checks to Mack created issues. (Again assuming Pete was calling the D from the box)
    The 2nd half of the UGA game was really good too. LSU and MSU were also great plans too. Last season will go down in history in our minds as being a terrible defense, but at times, they were really, really good. They even started out good against Clemson, but that game is an outlier in all ways, really.
    ďAnd the roses in this grand olí stadium are once again Crimson!Ē - Eli Gold, 1-7-10

Alabama wasnít just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, 1-10-12

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, 1-7-13

"Alabama, back on top of the College Football world!" - Chris Fowler, 1-11-16

"Touchdown!!! Alabama Wins!!!" - Chris Fowler, 1-8-18

BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    The 2nd half of the UGA game was really good too. LSU and MSU were also great plans too. Last season will go down in history in our minds as being a terrible defense, but at times, they were really, really good. They even started out good against Clemson, but that game is an outlier in all ways, really.
    You make a great point that at times our plan was very solid. Looking back at LSU and MSU, not a lot of checks by those offenses which lends more to the theory Golding was calling plays and Tosh signaled them in from the sideline. Even UGA it seemed like at the half we got stuff ironed out and combined with UGA going into a protect the lead mode, the D looked much better.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I don't know what was happening. I just know the result. And I know how poorly Golding's position group played last year. Need better in 2019, no matter how you get there.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I don't know what was happening. I just know the result. And I know how poorly Golding's position group played last year. Need better in 2019, no matter how you get there.
    To be fair, that same position group didnít play well last year after SDH went down and Evans was hurt.

Correct, but Wylie's theory does point to a possible reason for the issues. If they're busy looking to the sideline waiting for a check, they're going to be a step slow (ala Kirby's defenses in 2012-2014 until the simplification started).
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    To be fair, that same position group didn’t play well last year after SDH went down and Evans was hurt.
    In the 2017 playoffs Mack and Moses were absolute beasts. You struggled against Auburn because you were playing a baseball player at ILB for a few games before you totally trusted Moses in the role. Mack played so well down the stretch that he was considered a top 15 draft pick entering the 2018 season. Mack and Moses both regressed this year. Again, I don't know why, I just see the results. 2019 has to be better.
    Last edited by B1GTide; January 24th, 2019 at 08:59 AM. Reason: clarity

In the playoffs Mack and Moses were absolute beasts.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were talking about the 2018 playoffs.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

This is why I'm paying attention to Spring camp. I want to see how Dylan and the LB units does this spring.

I still don't understand why we didn't develop the depth behind the starting units this year, and hopefully, we will fix that this coming spring, summer and fall. Saban also needs to figure out a way to communicate faster on defense prior to the snap. Teams will likely to go no huddle against Bama defense to keep them from making the calls.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were talking about the 2018 playoffs.
    Thanks - I edited the post for clarity.

Honestly this is one reason I'm hoping that Kelly ends up being co-defensive coordinator. Clearly there were some issues, and while I think most the blame lies with Tosh (not necessarily his fault, from what I read even he wasn't sure he was ready to do it), it's hard to say Golding performed his job perfectly either.

I know a lot of people don't like the job he did, but Charles Kelly was by himself as defensive coordinator for three straight top 20 defenses, in a power 5 conference. Even if he's not the one doing everything, I'd think he'd be plenty capable of providing what was missing (he was also linebackers coach at Florida St.). I think it's a little naive to assume you just remove Tosh and Golding becomes a lot better. Golding was defensive coordinator in the C-USA for a couple of years, he's young, and he's still learning on the job...
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban