Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Junie Lewis and Jeff Hodge. Peanut butter and Jelly. Also had an undersized post man named Gabe Estrada who went nuts in the second half. 49-33 at halftime, and we somehow lost. Brutal. Just brutal.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Bad luck too often. We gave UNC in '82 all they could handle. A couple questionable calls, of course, went the Tarheels way down the stretch. Our best final four opportunity was in 1987. But, we had to run into Billy the Kid and Providence. I will also contend the team that lost to South Alabama in the first round in '89 or '90 when the refs basically decided at halftime to give the game to USA would have contended for a final four spot. The loss to Loyola Marymount was also frustrating because I would have loved to see our athletic team match-up with that juggernaut UNLV squad to see who went to the final four. For whatever reason, Wimp always seemed to be one player short from taking that next step.
Also, I believe the 1986 team was the same core group as the 1987 team, plus Buck Johnson, that lost to UK in the sweet 16. The tournament seeding's were awful that year and we were in the same bracket as UK and LSU. After UK beat us then they lost to LSU in the elite 8. We were a very good team that year but I think we lost to UK at least 3 times, if not 4.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Junie Lewis and Jeff Hodge. Peanut butter and Jelly. Also had an undersized post man named Gabe Estrada who went nuts in the second half. 49-33 at halftime, and we somehow lost. Brutal. Just brutal.
Yep, I think we got ahead big and put it in cruise control and couldn't get it going again when they got close in the second half. PB&J really ticked me off.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's funny how threads turn and this one has had a pleasant turn. A blast from the past regarding some great teams and near misses we've had.

In alot of way, it describes Bama basketball from the past. Very good, but not great. Close, at times, but no cigar.

I imagine this is how other football programs feel about their program's near misses against Bama over the years.

But those great teams were fun to watch.

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Also, I believe the 1986 team was the same core group as the 1987 team, plus Buck Johnson, that lost to UK in the sweet 16. The tournament seeding's were awful that year and we were in the same bracket as UK and LSU. After UK beat us then they lost to LSU in the elite 8. We were a very good team that year but I think we lost to UK at least 3 times, if not 4.
You are correct. Roger Hardin for UK killed us four times that season. Lost twice to them in the regular season, once in the SEC tournament, then in the Sweet 16.

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Arrow was the USA coach. I forget the guards name that hit the shot. Before that shot there was kicked ball that reset the shot clock which gave them the opportunity to hit that shot. Had it not been for that, assuming they still would have hit the shot, we would have had time to get the ball down court for a final shot. That team was red hot late in the year and I'm convinced we would have beat Michigan (eventual national champion) in round 2 had we beaten USA in round 1.
That's right. It was Jeff Hodge. His brother was a LB at Auburn at the time. The refs really turned the game by fouling Ansley out, who was unstoppable in the first half. I also agree that this team would have taken Michigan in round 2. That is why I highlighted them as a team that really did have final four potential.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't know how Wimp never took a team further than the sweet 16. He had some great teams during those days. We always seemed to get matched up against the hot team or the "sentimental darling" of the tournament. We had several of those teams that were serious final four threats but never got there.
Yep, the 1987 team was the best in our history and #2 seed. We ran into a really hot Providence team led by Billy Donovan and Pitino and they hit a ton of 3's.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I seem to recall we lost two close games to UK in the regular season, lost to them in the SEC Tournament then drew them in the NCAA Tournament . Four times in one year.

That sucked.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Yep, the 1987 team was the best in our history and #2 seed. We ran into a really hot Providence team led by Billy Donovan and Pitino and they hit a ton of 3's.
That was a great team, but IMO, the 75-76 team was best in school history. Good enough to win the tournament if not for Bob Knight’s best team!

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Providence was almost ousted by Austin Peay in the 2nd round. Think that game went to OT. I remember watching and pulling hard for Austin Peay because I knew we'd get past the sweet 16 then.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.