Should I Start Caring/Watching Again? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 74
  1. #53

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    I don't know how Wimp never took a team further than the sweet 16. He had some great teams during those days. We always seemed to get matched up against the hot team or the "sentimental darling" of the tournament. We had several of those teams that were serious final four threats but never got there.
    Bad luck too often. We gave UNC in '82 all they could handle. A couple questionable calls, of course, went the Tarheels way down the stretch. Our best final four opportunity was in 1987. But, we had to run into Billy the Kid and Providence. I will also contend the team that lost to South Alabama in the first round in '89 or '90 when the refs basically decided at halftime to give the game to USA would have contended for a final four spot. The loss to Loyola Marymount was also frustrating because I would have loved to see our athletic team match-up with that juggernaut UNLV squad to see who went to the final four. For whatever reason, Wimp always seemed to be one player short from taking that next step.

  2. #54
    FB|BB Moderator dayhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Pell City, AL
    Posts
    6,771

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by linniepatrick View Post
    Bad luck too often. We gave UNC in '82 all they could handle. A couple questionable calls, of course, went the Tarheels way down the stretch. Our best final four opportunity was in 1987. But, we had to run into Billy the Kid and Providence. I will also contend the team that lost to South Alabama in the first round in '89 or '90 when the refs basically decided at halftime to give the game to USA would have contended for a final four spot. The loss to Loyola Marymount was also frustrating because I would have loved to see our athletic team match-up with that juggernaut UNLV squad to see who went to the final four. For whatever reason, Wimp always seemed to be one player short from taking that next step.
    That South Alabama one hurt bad. I just remembering the feeling of being totally dumbounded. I don't think I'd heard the name Ronnie Arrow before then, and hadn't heard it since until we visited their campus last fall. His portrait was hanging in their coliseum.

  3. #55

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    That South Alabama one hurt bad. I just remembering the feeling of being totally dumbounded. I don't think I'd heard the name Ronnie Arrow before then, and hadn't heard it since until we visited their campus last fall. His portrait was hanging in their coliseum.
    I didn't get to watch the game because I was in high school at the time (I think). All I got to see was Arrow hitting the shot from the timeline at the buzzer. Ansley was so dominant in the first half. Then, like I said, the refs decided to foul him out as early as possible in the second half. Very frustrating.

  4. #56
    FB|BB Moderator dayhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Pell City, AL
    Posts
    6,771

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by linniepatrick View Post
    I didn't get to watch the game because I was in high school at the time (I think). All I got to see was Arrow hitting the shot from the timeline at the buzzer. Ansley was so dominant in the first half. Then, like I said, the refs decided to foul him out as early as possible in the second half. Very frustrating.
    I would have been a junior in hs. I remember seeing the game. It must have occurred in what was then AEA week.

  5. #57
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arab, AL
    Posts
    17,231

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    I don't know how Wimp never took a team further than the sweet 16. He had some great teams during those days. We always seemed to get matched up against the hot team or the "sentimental darling" of the tournament. We had several of those teams that were serious final four threats but never got there.
    We never made it past the sweet 16 until Mark Gottfried's elite 8 run in what, 2004? CM Newton's 1976 team may have been Alabama's best team ever. It gave Indiana's 32-0 team it's closest game in the tournament, but the tournament was only 32 teams back then.

    edited: I misread your post. I thought you asked if Wimp made it past the sweet 16. My bad.
    Last edited by TideEngineer08; January 24th, 2019 at 09:07 PM.

  6. #58
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Breaux Bridge, La
    Posts
    17,180

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by linniepatrick View Post
    Bad luck too often. We gave UNC in '82 all they could handle. A couple questionable calls, of course, went the Tarheels way down the stretch. Our best final four opportunity was in 1987. But, we had to run into Billy the Kid and Providence. I will also contend the team that lost to South Alabama in the first round in '89 or '90 when the refs basically decided at halftime to give the game to USA would have contended for a final four spot. The loss to Loyola Marymount was also frustrating because I would have loved to see our athletic team match-up with that juggernaut UNLV squad to see who went to the final four. For whatever reason, Wimp always seemed to be one player short from taking that next step.
    We never had enough depth during many of those runs. Wimp stubbornly stuck to 7-8 man rotations. And often our guys just fatigued out

    The Marymount loss was the toughest. Melvin had a ball that just refused to go in. Great game. But bad end of it

  7. #59

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    We never had enough depth during many of those runs. Wimp stubbornly stuck to 7-8 man rotations. And often our guys just fatigued out

    The Marymount loss was the toughest. Melvin had a ball that just refused to go in. Great game. But bad end of it
    Yep. Wimp always seemed to be one player short on his roster. I could be wrong, but I believe the NCAA wouldn't clear Hollywood his freshman year until like January. Wimp made the decision to just go ahead and hold him out the entire season. Had he been eligible from day one, that could have been the difference. I think that was the season we lost the heart breaker to Marymount. I still remember Fryer running his mouth before the game. Alabama was holding opponents to something like 61 points per game. Fryer said something to the effect of "we will have that by halftime." We held them to 62. To your point, looking at that box score, we played 7 players the entire game.

  8. #60
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,567

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by linniepatrick View Post
    I didn't get to watch the game because I was in high school at the time (I think). All I got to see was Arrow hitting the shot from the timeline at the buzzer. Ansley was so dominant in the first half. Then, like I said, the refs decided to foul him out as early as possible in the second half. Very frustrating.
    Arrow was the USA coach. I forget the guards name that hit the shot. Before that shot there was kicked ball that reset the shot clock which gave them the opportunity to hit that shot. Had it not been for that, assuming they still would have hit the shot, we would have had time to get the ball down court for a final shot. That team was red hot late in the year and I'm convinced we would have beat Michigan (eventual national champion) in round 2 had we beaten USA in round 1.

  9. #61
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    Junie Lewis and Jeff Hodge. Peanut butter and Jelly. Also had an undersized post man named Gabe Estrada who went nuts in the second half. 49-33 at halftime, and we somehow lost. Brutal. Just brutal.
    Last edited by CrimsonEyeshade; January 25th, 2019 at 10:52 AM.

  10. #62
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,567

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by linniepatrick View Post
    Bad luck too often. We gave UNC in '82 all they could handle. A couple questionable calls, of course, went the Tarheels way down the stretch. Our best final four opportunity was in 1987. But, we had to run into Billy the Kid and Providence. I will also contend the team that lost to South Alabama in the first round in '89 or '90 when the refs basically decided at halftime to give the game to USA would have contended for a final four spot. The loss to Loyola Marymount was also frustrating because I would have loved to see our athletic team match-up with that juggernaut UNLV squad to see who went to the final four. For whatever reason, Wimp always seemed to be one player short from taking that next step.
    Also, I believe the 1986 team was the same core group as the 1987 team, plus Buck Johnson, that lost to UK in the sweet 16. The tournament seeding's were awful that year and we were in the same bracket as UK and LSU. After UK beat us then they lost to LSU in the elite 8. We were a very good team that year but I think we lost to UK at least 3 times, if not 4.

  11. #63
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,567

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    Junie Lewis and Jeff Hodge. Peanut butter and Jelly. Also had an undersized post man named Gabe Estrada who went nuts in the second half. 49-33 at halftime, and we somehow lost. Brutal. Just brutal.
    Estrada went nuts because the refs wouldn't let us breathe on him without calling a foul.

  12. #64
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    cullman, al, usa
    Posts
    5,468

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    Junie Lewis and Jeff Hodge. Peanut butter and Jelly. Also had an undersized post man named Gabe Estrada who went nuts in the second half. 49-33 at halftime, and we somehow lost. Brutal. Just brutal.
    Yep, I think we got ahead big and put it in cruise control and couldn't get it going again when they got close in the second half. PB&J really ticked me off.

  13. #65
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,243
    Thread Starter

    Re: Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

    It's funny how threads turn and this one has had a pleasant turn. A blast from the past regarding some great teams and near misses we've had.

    In alot of way, it describes Bama basketball from the past. Very good, but not great. Close, at times, but no cigar.

    I imagine this is how other football programs feel about their program's near misses against Bama over the years.

    But those great teams were fun to watch.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear

Alabama Crimson Tide gear at Fanatics.com