Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This is why when some posters on here talk about the Libertarian Party it is always about throwing away a vote since the Libertarian candidate has no chance. I remember Ross Perot, Ralph Nader, Jill Stein, and Gary Johnson as all third party candidates. They may have had some good issues and ideas, but came across as kooks since none of them had any real support. We have discussed the need for a third party in this country, but until a third party can gain recognition by putting up nationally known and respected candidates, it can only be useful in taking votes away from the Republican and Democrat candidates.

I do understand currently, that as a group, the moderates have to
make a choice as to which party checks most of their boxes. I also agree that most moderates are right leaning. I grew up in the South when it was eschewing the southern Democrats in favor of the GOP. The liberal wing of the Democrat Party gained control and lost the South and more moderate Democrats forever.
Being in CA where a vote for either major party would not have mattered in any way, I feel pretty good about throwing my vote away for whatever small message it sent. I may be the voice in the wilderness, but I cried out.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I get it. I do. I support at least tacitly some of their policies, believe it or not (or they at least sound appealing), but the devil is in the details. So far few of those, if any. How to pay for it without ballooning the deficit to unsustainable levels? What taxes on whom? How will those taxes be offset by other direct and indirect savings? Will these be presented with realistic numbers or will we continue to see no numbers at all or will they pull numbers out of their hind quarters?

Frankly, I'd love to have all my student loans disappear and medicare for all would be a benefit for me more than likely even with new taxes on me to cover it. I would want choice to join in or not for everyone who can afford it or else it's a nonstarter for me and most other people. (to think I was dead set against the ACA as passed even though I supported some central ideas of it)

So I'm not saying they don't have ideas, but their extremism in some of those ideas (lack of choice, unrealistic money numbers, etc;...) are a huge problem for most people.

We shall see, but promising everything at once without any realistic way to pay for any of it is not a good start.
thanks for the response. i agree with you for the most part. i want to see these ideas fleshed out and discussed. for far too long, they have been dismissed out of hand as unrealistic/unattainable.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
We are a sovereign nation. Which, I think, everyone knows what that means.
I don’t understand the details of MMT. I do know printing money causes inflation and devalues the dollar.
But when faced with Florida becoming Atlantis, or we just going to say we don’t have the money to prevent it?
This is another reason we’re leaving - this insane belief that too many hold dear that money is more important than human life, or the planet in general. And that is precisely the idea we embrace when we say “we can’t afford it”. That’s a lie at its core because we CAN afford it; the correct calculation is “we WONT afford it.”
Love of money truly is the root of all evil.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Who_said_that_money_is_the_root_of_all_evil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
We are a sovereign nation. Which, I think, everyone knows what that means.
I don’t understand the details of MMT. I do know printing money causes inflation and devalues the dollar.
But when faced with Florida becoming Atlantis, or we just going to say we don’t have the money to prevent it?
This is another reason we’re leaving - this insane belief that too many hold dear that money is more important than human life, or the planet in general. And that is precisely the idea we embrace when we say “we can’t afford it”. That’s a lie at its core because we CAN afford it; the correct calculation is “we WONT afford it.”
Love of money truly is the root of all evil.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Who_said_that_money_is_the_root_of_all_evil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We have been living on the cheap way too long by burning fossil fuels. Its time to pay the piper. Without a major preventative effort, the younger posters here will live to see all coastal cities uninhabitable.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
We have been living on the cheap way too long by burning fossil fuels. Its time to pay the piper. Without a major preventative effort, the younger posters here will live to see all coastal cities uninhabitable.
I have to admit: fossil fuels and going green is not going to sway me to vote for a candidate in 2020. And honestly, if they are one of those that act like it is the central issue then I probably will vote against them. I want the economy and national security to be at the top of their list.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I have to admit: fossil fuels and going green is not going to sway me to vote for a candidate in 2020. And honestly, if they are one of those that act like it is the central issue then I probably will vote against them. I want the economy and national security to be at the top of their list.
Not sure how you can separate that out. It's one in the same.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Look at this garbage from NBC News

You don't even need to get past the headline:

Experts who track websites and social media linked to Russia have seen stirrings of a possible campaign of support for Hawaii Democrat Tulsi Gabbard.

"Stirring of a possible campaign"

So nothing and you're just making this all up so the Aaron Sorkin centrist lib voter can put on their tin foil hat in continuance of their own version of the Q Anon deal over the last 2 years.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Look at this garbage from NBC News

You don't even need to get past the headline:

"Stirring of a possible campaign"

So nothing and you're just making this all up so the Aaron Sorkin centrist lib voter can put on their tin foil hat in continuance of their own version of the Q Anon deal over the last 2 years.
continued russian interference in our elections is real. q anon conspiracies are not.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Eh, stuff like this is meaningless. If you don't want Russia picking at our scabs then heal what actually ails us. This kinda media campaign bot stuff does not matter unlike the direct contact with Russian interest groups/individuals like the Trump's campaign is likely guilty of doing.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Curious how the mainstream media drops the unsubstantiated BS on the most legitimate progressive candidate in the pool at the moment. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Gabbard is probably the most electable candidate right now because she has recorded support for progressive concerns such as minimum wage, universal healthcare, and higher education tuition assistance BUT she also fulfills some of the banal factors for electability such as looks and charisma. She's also a field-grade officer in the Hawaiian National Guard.

Basically in an article trying to sow seeds of dissent against her with the Q Anon type Russia-baiting for smooth brained libs, they expose how the mainstream media really is doing these kinda ops to keep progressives from succeeding.

See what you can do with the tinfoil hats?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
To be perfectly honest, some of them had no real support because they were, in fact, kooks.
Can you name a third party candidate that wasn’t a nut? John Anderson in 1980 is the only one that comes to mind. Maybe Teddy Roosevelt, but he was certainly unconventional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think Beto O'Rourke is either. Ain't nodamnbody falling for cool dude who votes to the right of the average democrat voter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.