Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know people who voted for Trump because they wanted someone other than a politician in charge.
I do too - but Trump is as much a politician as anyone that ever ran for office. He is just another type of politician. Those folks were duped by a slogan.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
people who voted for trump are not the middle.
This is why I think it is critical to have a candidate who doesn't think it is important to work with the GOP in Congress. Sanders is the only one to say it. The DNP's belief in compromise has compromised their party and constituency.

The DNP since Bill Clinton took office is like one continuous stream of Urkel DID I DO THAT?! moments. Compromised with the Right to get free trade deals done in the 90s. Blew out rural and urban industrial economies and replaced them with drug use or student loans to do The New Knowledge Economy. Oops did I do that?! The '97 Medicare changes that included compromises that benefited the phrama industry. In its wake, we've enjoyed the explosive growth of prescription drug costs since then that are increasingly damaging the quality of the employer subsidized healthcare system. Oops did I do that?! ACA being a flimsy boondoggle that hasn't done much to improve affordability of good healthcare. Oops did I do that?!

It is simple not tenable to deal with the GOP in good faith. The only path forward is to be bold and whip your votes. If necessary, have the President find someone willing in your district to primary your ass and then endorse them.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I do too - but Trump is as much a politician as anyone that ever ran for office. He is just another type of politician. Those folks were duped by a slogan.
His background is from construction, development, and the entertainment industry.

Who else has ever had that background that ran for office?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
His background is from construction, development, and the entertainment industry.

OK let me rephrase this.

He's never had the title of President, Vice President, Senator, Representative, Governor, or Mayor.

A lot of voters loved that single aspect.

They hate politicians.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

His background is in raising money for that stuff. He is a politician - always has been.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
OK let me rephrase this.

He's never had the title of President, Vice President, Senator, Representative, Governor, or Mayor.

They hate politicians.
And they were duped.

He was supposed to be an "outsider" who was beholden to no political interests. He is not an "insider", but he is just as beholden as every other politician because he had to raise money just like everyone else, and his money came from the same people as everyone else.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
And they were duped.

He was supposed to be an "outsider" who was beholden to no political interests. He is not an "insider", but he is just as beholden as every other politician because he had to raise money just like everyone else, and his money came from the same people as everyone else it's just that his money came from the Russians.
fixed

• Haha
Reactions: Go Bama and B1GTide

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
And they were duped.

He was supposed to be an "outsider" who was beholden to no political interests. He is not an "insider", but he is just as beholden as every other politician because he had to raise money just like everyone else, and his money came from the same people as everyone else.
What don't you get. He specifically told them he wasn't a politician, that he was an awesome negotiator and an excellent businessman. What don't you get? HE SAID IT SO IT MUST BE TRUE!

• Haha
Reactions: 92tide and B1GTide

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
And they were duped.

I stated that many people voted for him - because he wasn't a politician.

I've never seen a politician as star of a TV show before.......

Many people hate politicians. And they still do, whether they are duped or not - it doesn't matter.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I stated that many people voted for him - because he wasn't a politician.

I've never seen a politician as star of a TV show before.......

Many people hate politicians. And they still do, whether they are duped or not - it doesn't matter.
Guess you never heard of Ronald Reagan.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Agreed - too late - water under the bridge. But, as was stated earlier, anyone that fell for that was voting GOP anyway.

They were just looking for something to tell their friends - they could say "I voted for Trump because I hate politicians and he isn't one" instead of telling their friends, I voted for Trump because "voting for Hillary" or "voting for a Decocrat" was not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.