Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread - Page 101
Page 101 of 110 FirstFirst ... 5191949596979899100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,313 of 1427

Re: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Joe Biden: Banning Assault Weapons Works
    That’s why, as president, I will push to ban them again. - nyt opinion piece by biden maybe paywall

We have to get these weapons of war off our streets.

Nearly 70 percent of the American public support a ban on assault weapons — including 54 percent of Republicans.

When you have that kind of broad public support for legislation that will make everyone safer, and it still can’t get through the Senate — the problem is with weak-willed leaders who care more about their campaign coffers than children in coffins.

The 1994 assault weapons and high-capacity magazines bans worked.

And if I am elected president, we’re going to pass them again — and this time, we’ll make them even stronger. We’re going to stop gun manufacturers from circumventing the law by making minor modifications to their products — modifications that leave them just as deadly. And this time, we’re going to pair it with a buyback program to get as many assault weapons off our streets as possible as quickly as possible...

If we cannot rise to meet this moment, it won’t just be a political failure. It will be a moral one. It will mean that we accept the next inevitable tragedy. That we are desensitized to children running from schools and bodies littering parking lots, that our outpouring of thoughts and prayers will grow increasingly hollow.

It’s unacceptable that children learn to fear mass shooters alongside their ABCs, that people feel unsafe on their weekly grocery run, and that families everywhere experience increasing anxiety that they are simply not safe anywhere in the United States.

I, for one, won’t stand for that. And the American people are with me.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    What I'm saying is that when you look at some of these manifestos from shooters like the one today you see the ideological mismash most of them have. Sure, they're crazy who cares right? I think more than we realize basically have this weird anti-corporate but it is all the brown/black's fault mindset and it is largely because stuff left of the mainstream democratic party doesn't really get enough traction in our political discourse. If it is dismissed immediately that Marx and others on the left were right about at least a few things - and this is certainly how the majority in this country were conditioned to think - then where else do you have to go other than basic xenophobia? No other explanation for the pressure you're feeling is really allowed. This dissonance can culminate with violence and what we're seeing now are the most at risk reaching that tipping point first.

Furthermore, I don't really care if people think their healthcare coverage is fine today. Humans in general are bad at foresight. The insurance model is getting demonstrably worse over time and the burden is being put upon the consumer more than anyone. It is an unsustainable model for national health and there will be a reckoning for it. I'd rather do it methodically with a plan rather than what we will end up getting: a slapped together wreck in response to a massive crisis. At some point all but the biggest corporations are not going to be able to support the privatized, employer-contribution based system. At that moment is when we'll end up dealing with it and the solution will be a rushed mess. Lets just be proactive for one flipping time. We all have health or we're dead. It isn't going to disappear as a need and the current model will fall apart in my lifetime.
    Why would you want to refer to a wicked fool's handful of astute observations when you could refer to multitudes of others who are not so unworthy but have come to those same few conclusions? It's not because we're conditioned to think Marx was a what we think he is, it's because we've used the critical thinking mentioned in another thread and have reasoned that he was a fool. We know from his actions and motives that he was wicked. I have not resorted to xenophobia - I am just the opposite. How do you come to such conclusions?

And you think a single-payer system is the solution? There is indeed a lack of critical thinking in this country.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Hickenlooper is out. A real shame, because having a President Hickenlooper just sounds like fun.

https://cnn.it/2zbqw1D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Hickenlooper is out. A real shame, because having a President Hickenlooper just sounds like fun.

Good. He's already winning the CO Senate polls without even running. Hopefully Beto does the same in TX.

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Good. He's already winning the CO Senate polls without even running. Hopefully Beto does the same in TX.
    Beto couldn’t beat Cruz.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Beto couldn’t beat Cruz.

True. But he's also not going to be president in 2020.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Beto couldn’t beat Cruz.

He won't beat Cornyn, either......but strategically it makes sense on two fronts:
    1) you force the RNC to actually have to spend some money here (which means they can't spend it elsewhere)
    2) his chances of winning the nomination have something in common with being an atheist: he hasn't got a prayer.

He's also not going to carry Texas if he was the VP, either, so he may as well do his party a service.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    True. But he's also not going to be president in 2020.
    Of course not. He wouldn't take office until January 20, 2021.

My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

i have been to his brewpub, wynkoop brewing co., in downtown denver a few times. it's pretty good
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i have been to his brewpub, wynkoop brewing co., in downtown denver a few times. it's pretty good
    Wynkoop is a dutch name, my SIL's maiden name, Dutch on her father's side, German on her mother's. In fact, I'd bet Hickenlooper is also...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Wynkoop is a dutch name, my SIL's maiden name, Dutch on her father's side, German on her mother's. In fact, I'd bet Hickenlooper is also...
    His Wiki page says he is from Pennsylvania. His hometown’s mayor’s last name is Deutch. So he likely is German/Dutch.

i read on their website that wynkoop was colorado's first brewpub.

- George Orwell

— Thomas Pynchon

Earle,

As a man who was fortunate enough to have spent five years in Europe and have at least a base knowledge of German and Koine Greek (English, not so much) - and can figure a lot out because of my med school background - you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of words and names and origins.