Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread - Page 103
Page 103 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3539396979899100101102103104105106107108109110113 ... LastLast
Results 1,327 to 1,339 of 1734
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

I hope so but I reckon I won't get my demsoc boy if that does come to fruition.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    The midwest is probably more progressive left message receptive than centrist liberal message receptive considering open-market liberalism is what blew out their manufacturing industry. I'm not saying that they're red-tinted comrades but the Bernie/Warren message is just gonna resonate more there than America is Already Great liberal capitalism.
    Have you been to the Midwest? Iíve lived 6 years of my life there, and I can tell you they arenít close to being progressive. Most Midwesterners are just to the left or right of most Alabamians. Sure Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan are usually Democrat, but far and large most of the Midwest is hardcore conservative or lean right swing at best. That is a huge reason Bernie was trounced there and Trump won.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Have you been to the Midwest? Iíve lived 6 years of my life there, and I can tell you they arenít close to being progressive. Most Midwesterners are just to the left or right of most Alabamians. Sure Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan are usually Democrat, but far and large most of the Midwest is hardcore conservative or lean right swing at best. That is a huge reason Bernie was trounced there and Trump won.
    I think he's saying they might be more receptive to a populist message. Which fits the Bernie lane much better than a traditional Dem like Hillary. Could be wrong though

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I dunno but it seems like the more progressive left / populist left (whatever you may call it) candidates have fared pretty well up there from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I dunno but it seems like the more progressive left / populist left (whatever you may call it) candidates have fared pretty well up there from a distance.
    I want to remind you that Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, and Iowa are hardcore conservative states, and Wyoming and the Dakotas are small conservative states. Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan are always the minority of the Midwestern electoral opinion. Itís why the Mid Atlantic is far more critical for democrats than the MW. No New Englander has had the majority of the MW since FDR.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Have you been to the Midwest? I’ve lived 6 years of my life there, and I can tell you they aren’t close to being progressive. Most Midwesterners are just to the left or right of most Alabamians. Sure Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan are usually Democrat, but far and large most of the Midwest is hardcore conservative or lean right swing at best. That is a huge reason Bernie was trounced there and Trump won.
    I agree with this. Chicago, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and Detroit have historically all been Democrat strongholds while the rest of those states are more conservative to moderate. Iowa, Kansas, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana are predominately white and have always favored the GOP.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

At this point I'd be surprised if anyone but Biden wins the nomination.

That said, despite everything as it is, I don't think Biden is an easy win. I think he struggles and quite possibly hands Trump a second term.

It's just... dang...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post

That said, despite everything as it is, I don't think Biden is an easy win. I think he struggles and quite possibly hands Trump a second term.

It's just... dang...
    During the democratic primary there are a few states that get to go first and I think those few stateS effect how others vote in the later primary states. What democrat do we see winning those first few states?

Joe Biden is the only democratic candidate I would highly consider voting for. If someone has been in Washington for over forty years and says "I want to be your President so I can fix things" ......well, you just can't help but like him.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Really not looking forward to the prospect of our 2020 general election being the duel of two sundowning boomers.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I agree with this. Chicago, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and Detroit have historically all been Democrat strongholds while the rest of those states are more conservative to moderate. Iowa, Kansas, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana are predominately white and have always favored the GOP.
    I think when Democrats say Midwest, they think Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota, and Colorado, , but they fail to realize that all those votes are canceled out by that vast line of flyover states in the middle that they never seem to do well in. The only prize in the Midwest is Ohio. But predicting Ohioís lean is like predicting Auburnís schedule, you never know for sure based on an educated guess. What you are basically left with is a bunch of rednecks, farmers, and religious groups pushing anyone who goes against their beliefs back to California and New York. It would take a Midwesterner or a southerner to tap into that conservative stronghold. Besides Biden, probably Mayor Pete is the only one with a prayer with the MW.

Point is a centrist has a far better chance in the MW than any progressive candidate. Democrats needs to focus more on the Mid Atlantic and taking back lost territory instead of trying to get the Midwest farmerís daughterís vote.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post

It's just... dang...
    Personally I think Trump gets a second term regardless of the nominee, but I think Biden and Warren probably are the oneís with the best chance of preventing it.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I think he's saying they might be more receptive to a populist message. Which fits the Bernie lane much better than a traditional Dem like Hillary. Could be wrong though
    This isnít the 1900ís or 1930ís. The Midwest for the most part is more like the Deep South in many ways. There is a reason why Hillary trounced Bernie in the MW, but in turn got trounced by Trump.