Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The primary system is the reason that so many incumbent presidents get reelected. While one party rips itself apart, they other party unifies behind their guy. While one party spends money fighting among themselves to win a nomination, the other party spends all of its money trying to win the election.

The only presidents elected to office who lost in an attempt to get reelected in our lifetime - Carter and Bush Sr. Both were dealing with economic recessions during the election process, and our economy is decidedly not in a recession.

The DNC needs to get its act together. They already had a very steep hill to climb, and this makes it steeper. People are not talking about the impeachment today - they are talking about the train wreck in Iowa.
I've always wondered what keeps them from getting together in a big room and developing some kind of team strategy. As in the team to defeat the president. To win the election for their party. All for one....and one for all kinda thing.

Hopefully they will get everything resolved and the process can move forward.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've always wondered what keeps them from getting together in a big room and developing some kind of team strategy. As in the team to defeat the president. To win the election for their party. All for one....and one for all kinda thing.

Hopefully they will get everything resolved and the process can move forward.
If there's anything the dems can learn from the repubs it's how to unite behind a candidate. I know TONS of people who held their nose to vote for Trump because he was the repub candidate, while we know tons of dems stayed home because Hillary wasn't their choice.

I voted third party, but I Ieft the two party system years ago.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
FWIW, I checked in with a friend of mine in Iowa, and the truth isn't nearly as nefarious as initial reports make it seem.

In past years, polling locations would call a land line with results. However, Iowa was attempting to implement a new voting app for precinct results--it passed all test with flying colors. The tabulation infrastructure was built around projected use of the app.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, almost all the precincts attempted to use the regular system of calling votes in. They didn't have the infrastructure in place to handle the calls.

Result=Chaos

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
FWIW, I checked in with a friend of mine in Iowa, and the truth isn't nearly as nefarious as initial reports make it seem.

In past years, polling locations would call a land line with results. However, Iowa was attempting to implement a new voting app for precinct results--it passed all test with flying colors. The tabulation infrastructure was built around projected use of the app.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, almost all the precincts attempted to use the regular system of calling votes in. They didn't have the infrastructure in place to handle the calls.

Result=Chaos
The Iowa Democratic Party just said that where the app was used, it stored the information correctly, but it only transferred part of the data. So they're having to verify numbers manually via phone even in those precincts, which obviously takes a while. They've apparently decided not to release any numbers until they have them all, which increases everyone's frustration.

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama and B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Result=Chaos
Yeah, I don't buy this at all.

ETA - not doubting that you were told this - just doubting its veracity.

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The primary system is the reason that so many incumbent presidents get reelected. While one party rips itself apart, they other party unifies behind their guy. While one party spends money fighting among themselves to win a nomination, the other party spends all of its money trying to win the election.

The only presidents elected to office who lost in an attempt to get reelected in our lifetime - Carter and Bush Sr. Both were dealing with economic recessions during the election process, and our economy is decidedly not in a recession.

The DNC needs to get its act together. They already had a very steep hill to climb, and this makes it steeper. People are not talking about the impeachment today - they are talking about the train wreck in Iowa.
just like almost every day over the last three years, twitler will likely make an ass of himself (this time at the sotu) and get the focus back on him

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This isn't a disaster, per se, but it's not helpful. The dems need everything to go right to beat an incumbent with a strong economy and low unemployment, and this has poor optics.
It can turn into a disaster if the candidates start talking about a rigged nomination process. If the DNC wants high voter turnout in November, they need the voters motivated. Things like this do the opposite - they make voters wonder if their vote really matters.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
just like almost every day over the last three years, twitler will likely make an ass of himself (this time at the sotu) and get the focus back on him
He will probably talk about the economy and the "war on terrorism". He should pretend that the impeachment didn't happen. The SOTU speech is written by folks with half a brain, so he isn't likely to give much ground back there. But he can't help himself, so he might go off script. He will definitely continue his rants on Twitter, but that doesn't seem to have effected his polling.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Dear Lord

Reddit video

Iowa Caucuses--a woman finds out that Mayor Pete is gay after voting; wants to get her ballot back.
She sure she is a Democrat? :rolleyes:

ETA - okay, watched the whole thing. This woman, democrat or republican, is a questionable human being. Not only is she a homophobe, but she questions the Christianity of the caucus worker because she believes that gay people should also be treated with love and respect.

We know that the opposite parties inject people into opposing caucuses to stir up exactly this kind of thing. It is one of the reasons that caucuses are problematic.

Last edited:
Reactions: NationalTitles18

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
From what I gathered, the change was made because Sanders had complaints in 2016 about the 2nd choice data. I just never understood why that if the main process isn’t broke then why fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.