Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
i think bernie is the only one we need to worry about. hillary is done.
And he will disappear as soon as the Dems can offer an honest, consistent non-corporatist candidate who can inspire people to vote. If there’s one in the group so far, I haven’t seen him or her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
And he will disappear as soon as the Dems can offer an honest, consistent non-corporatist candidate who can inspire people to vote. If there’s one in the group so far, I haven’t seen him or her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
what makes you think bernie can inspire people to vote? he hasn't really demonstrated that.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Bernie has been one of the few political figures people on the left can actually rally behind and not just running on the orange man bad platform.
At some point in your political career (I think he is there) you need to hang up running for president. I think he would do more good finding someone like him except younger and endorse them. Also being their for advice would be nice. I actually do not like most of his ideas, but if I were trying to get someone with his ideas into office I would use him as a mentor and have a different person be the face.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Democrats tend to be more emotional. If you slight "their" guy, I think you end up with more of the same as 2016. I believe there were a lot of Sanders voters that felt so betrayed by the DNC nominee process that their vote, if they voted, converted to "anyone but Clinton."

Poll: 1 in 4 Sanders supporters won't vote for Clinton

Wikipedia page for 2016 DNC primaries

13,206,428 Votes for Sanders in the various Democratic primaries. If 25% of those people really didn't vote for Clinton, that's 3,301,607 votes that she missed out on. I don't have any way of determining just how those people polled, actually voted in the presidential race, that would have pushed Clinton's popular vote total up another 3M for a total of 6M above Trump.

Take a look at Michigan: 598,943 votes for Sanders. 25% of that is 149,735. Hillary lost Michigan by only 10,704 votes.

I imagine you could find a trend for many of the states she lost that she considered a lock.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I like Biden, but if he were to win, he would be 78 at his inaugural.

Too. Damn. Old.
I see the consistent opposition to Biden here based on his earlier campaigns when he had not been VP for two terms. The question I would ask why would we consider Biden as too old versus a completely overweight Trump at some stage of mental impairment at apx. 75 in 2020? Then there is Bernie Sanders of a similar age.

The question of Biden's physical/mental capability is a worthy one but I will take him over
Trump any time!

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I see the consistent opposition to Biden here based on his earlier campaigns when he had not been VP for two terms. The question I would ask why would we consider Biden as too old versus a completely overweight Trump at some stage of mental impairment at apx. 75 in 2020? Then there is Bernie Sanders of a similar age.

The question of Biden's physical/mental capability is a worthy one but I will take him over
Trump any time!
All three are too old.

That said, I have a fiddle-leaf fig in the living room that would make a better president than Trump, so

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
On January 20, 2021:

Trump will be 74
Biden will be 78
Sanders will be 79
Warren will be 71
Weld will be 75
Hillary Clinton will be 73

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
On January 20, 2021:

Trump will be 74
Biden will be 78
Sanders will be 79
Warren will be 71
Weld will be 75
Hillary Clinton will be 73

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll admit that it concerns me. I'll be 80 later this year and, despite all my surgeries, etc., I'm in as general good health as anyone else my age. I would worry about stamina. OTOH, if I were allowed to come to work at 11:00 AM like trump and just watch TV until then, like he does, I probably could do it. My work day started at 7:30 AM today, yesterday being a holiday. It's worth remembering that Konrad Adenauer took over as chancellor of West Germany in 1949 at the age of 73 - and held that post until 1963...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I switched dermatologists yesterday. (The old one missed my basal cell cancer.) I mentioned something about 80-year old skin and it visibly startled her and she said she would have placed me around 60. She's 62 herself, so she thought we were about the same age... :D

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Democrats tend to be more emotional. If you slight "their" guy, I think you end up with more of the same as 2016. I believe there were a lot of Sanders voters that felt so betrayed by the DNC nominee process that their vote, if they voted, converted to "anyone but Clinton."

13,206,428 Votes for Sanders in the various Democratic primaries. If 25% of those people really didn't vote for Clinton, that's 3,301,607 votes that she missed out on. I don't have any way of determining just how those people polled, actually voted in the presidential race, that would have pushed Clinton's popular vote total up another 3M for a total of 6M above Trump.

Take a look at Michigan: 598,943 votes for Sanders. 25% of that is 149,735. Hillary lost Michigan by only 10,704 votes.

I imagine you could find a trend for many of the states she lost that she considered a lock.
No way, man. 3rd party voters cost Clinton her rightful place on the throne, not lazy and disenchanted dems.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

She was - and is - an unattractive candidate. You would think that the alternative candidate, Trump, would be enough to get people off their rumps and to the polls. Anyone who thinks that vastly underrates the inertia of the American voter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.