Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
here is some info i found about the cali lawsuit, which was dismissed by the judge.

Vote-Rigging Suit Against DNC Dropped, Mostly Because the DNC Can’t Rig Much of Anything

The ruling was actually made on a motion to dismiss the suit by the DNC. Thus the legal standard involved was whether the plaintiffs had standing to sue and a compelling claim to make if everything in its original complaint were true. So in arguing on that basis, the DNC wasn’t actually admitting it was biased and the judge wasn’t agreeing with the alleged facts, either.

As the Washington Post’s David Weigel reports, the plaintiffs themselves, who brought the suit to vindicate the “DNC rigged it all for Hillary” claim, tried to clear up the misunderstanding over the disposition of the suit:

[Co-plaintiff Elizabeth] Beck found herself in a strange position — telling an interviewer that he was giving her lawsuit too much credit. The language in the dismissal that assumed the plaintiffs’ arguments was not, in itself, admission that the DNC had rigged primaries.

“The court is obligated to take all those allegations as true. I would point out that the court is not saying that those allegations are true,” she told Jay. [Co-plaintiff] Jared Beck performed some of the same cleanup after the Observer falsely reported that the judge “reaffirmed that the primaries were tipped in Hillary Clinton’s favor.”
---
As a practical matter, the only way state Democratic parties can get rid of closed primaries without the cooperation of state governments is to adopt even-less-democratic caucuses, where small elites really do call the shots. That may be all right with Sanders supporters still grinding axes over 2016, since Bernie did well in caucuses overall. But it’s an illogical position for those wanting to open up the party to larger participation, and pursuing it is probably a waste of time, like the continuing preoccupation with the DNC as though its puffed-up pretensions are as real as the evil powers attributed to it by its detractors.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The biggest issue for me always has been big money in politics; as long as it remains, nothing will get done in regards to ANY change from the status quo, at least none that will be effective even in my son’s lifetime.
We have issues that need addressing now. The money in politics is simply keeping that from happening; all beneficial solutions to any of the major problems we have must go through the money wall.
It ain’t happening unless the wall is removed.
It’s a simple solution that people create a myriad of problems with the process of undertaking; people wring their hands and say we can’t do anything.
Can’t never could.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ultimately you're only ending money in politics by upending the consensus on economic order in the world.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Negative. One poll had him up by eight points, another was around ten. Average of them all was well above the margin for error. As the primary season wore on, no poll showed Hillary up above the margin of error.
Look, no polls prove anything (exit polls used to be pretty dang close until recently )and the reasons for that seem to bother no one).
How many on here seriously thought Trump would beat Hillary?
Minus the superdelegates and the DNC and Clinton Machine’s controlling the primary to ensure her victory, Bernie could have won. The ONLY reason he didn’t is because the wealthy PTB who control the Democratic Party weren’t going to let him, regardless of what the primary voters wanted. They admitted as much in the lawsuit against them and the court agreed.
He has raised more money faster, from more people, in the 24 hrs post announcement than anyone else. He’s going to cause severe migraines for the DNC before it’s all said and done.

https://apple.news/Ao_qVB15QQ5aBFgxxHaaqHw

Positive - RealClear

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
FB post from one of my cattledog friends who lives in Minn.....put in the FWIW file..... I was so disappointed when I voted for Amy Klobuchar. She sold out the Boundary Waters and turned her back on the wolves in MN. She was owned by mining companies and put corporate greed ahead of the environment and clean water and property owners' rights. A few temporary jobs are not worth sacrificing clean water. She is not a friend of endangered species or the environment and will likely put corporations ahead of the will of the people. She has a terrible record on animal welfare issues. So many of my animal-loving friends seem to be excited that she's running. Haven't they done their research? Why don't people understand this?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Seems like all the data in those polls agree with what I said.

I said Sanders was 10 pts ahead of Trump in mid-'16, so remind me. I don't want to go dig it out...

Edit: My bad. She was leading by 10 pts in April, not June...

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
FB post from one of my cattledog friends who lives in Minn.....put in the FWIW file..... I was so disappointed when I voted for Amy Klobuchar. She sold out the Boundary Waters and turned her back on the wolves in MN. She was owned by mining companies and put corporate greed ahead of the environment and clean water and property owners' rights. A few temporary jobs are not worth sacrificing clean water. She is not a friend of endangered species or the environment and will likely put corporations ahead of the will of the people. She has a terrible record on animal welfare issues. So many of my animal-loving friends seem to be excited that she's running. Haven't they done their research? Why don't people understand this?
These are some interesting points, particularly for a BWCA lovers like me. These things tend to come out in the primaries...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That's what the video I posted reminded me of....when I was scouting back in Virginia. Good times.......
we only spent two days in the bwca, paddling into and out of the quetico. the entire experience was great, i remember being able to drink water straight from the lakes as we were paddling. also got to see the northern lights and got my first experience with hypothermia, in the summer no less.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
we only spent two days in the bwca, paddling into and out of the quetico. the entire experience was great, i remember being able to drink water straight from the lakes as we were paddling. also got to see the northern lights and got my first experience with hypothermia, in the summer no less.
It can be weird, weatherwise. Our last trip, we went up the Gunflint Trail to Lake Saganaga. We got ferried across to Hook Island, or, rather, I had to do half the ferrying, since one boat driver didn't show up. The outfitter looked straight at me and said "You - you can drive a boat, can't you?" I felt like I'd been called out of formation or something. I said "Yes," and off we went. Later, Liz asked how he knew I'd grown up on a river in boats. I just said that I guess it showed.

We went straight to Cache Bay Canadian Customs. There was a group of friends from HSV checking in right ahead, with a different destination. We watches as almost all their alcohol got temporarily detained in Customs until they came back through. We were also way over limit on alcohol. My friend George just doesn't pay attention sometimes. I had to kick him under the counter to keep him from telling the truth.

Anyway, we turned east and went all the way out to Crown Point, the end of the park. Then, the temps stayed around 90F the entire week, on Labor Day. The canopy we brought to keep the rain off, we used to keep the sun off. It was so windy, I had to fish from shore. We tried once in the canoe, but Liz couldn't keep it still and we ended up yelling at each other. Then, we almost drowned, getting back to Hook Island, when we got caught out in Saganaga when I backdoor cold front came through. Still wouldn't take anything fo the experiences, though.

One other vignette - at Silver Falls, right after Customs, two creeps kept trying to separate us from our gear, so we had to swap watch during portages. They had an aluminum canoe, and shot the falls, so they were familiar with the area. Their "camping gear" consisted of a honking big green three burner Coleman stove. One was covered with prison tattoos and pale as a fish's belly. When we returned, I asked Customs how long they'd stayed in. He said "one night." Obviously, they were in only for theft opportunities. Only time I've felt unsafe in that area. Firearms are prohibited...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.