Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Re: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

The idea that the 14th amendment doesn't apply to immigrants is an idea that Miller has pushed for a long time...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    The idea that the 14th amendment doesn't apply to immigrants is an idea that Miller has pushed for a long time...
    The argument is that it was intended for former slaves. But thats not what they wrote in the amendment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    It's strange. Ted Cruz was born in Canada but I don't remember them getting all upset about that. I wonder what Harris and Obama have in common?
    I've long suspected Trump was hatched from an egg and just maybe we should research the Constitution to see if that disqualifies him.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    I've long suspected Trump was hatched from an egg and just maybe we should research the Constitution to see if that disqualifies him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    The argument is that it was intended for former slaves. But that’s not what they wrote in the amendment.

The SCOTUS in the Wong Kim Ark case of 1897, ruling that he was a "natural-born citizen," said, over and over again, the following:

"Nothing is better settled at the common law than the doctrine that the children, even of aliens, born in a country while the parents are resident there under the protection of the government and owing a temporary allegiance thereto, are subjects by birth."

Earlier in the case, the court stated that both his parents were legal, permanent residents. Miller, and apparently Trump, have seized upon this language and hold that the parent must be permanent residents, and not just transients. Of course, in Harris's case, even that falls apart because her parents are still here, first as permanent residents and now as citizens.

They've never been able to get past "all persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside"...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame

This is what Trump said back in October:

Then, further from the NYT:
    And yet the wives of Russian oligarchs came to Florida to stay in his hotel and do just that.
    I guess he forgot about that.
    Still to this day it boggles my mind that anyone could support this pile of garbage.

The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Can you imagine if Obama had said he could change the second amendment by an executive order?

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    And yet the wives of Russian oligarchs came to Florida to stay in his hotel and do just that.
    I guess he forgot about that.
    Still to this day it boggles my mind that anyone could support this pile of garbage.

Well said. Focus on everything but the most critical issues that are important to the future of the country. Talk about building a wall endlessly when our streets, roads and airports sink into disrepair. Anything they do become involved in such as trade becomes an unmitigated disaster.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Can you imagine if Obama had said he could change the second amendment by an executive order?

Obama was not as anti-second amendment as he was portrayed. He wanted to curtail certain parts of it but he never wanted to seize our guns.

It's important to remember that birthright citizenship predates the 14th amendment and, indeed, even the constitution. AFAIK, it's universal among common law countries, as the SCOTUS pointed out in the case I cited above. The countries Trump cites are Roman or "Civil Law" countries...

It's important to remember that birthright citizenship predates the 14th amendment and, indeed, even the constitution. AFAIK, it's universal among common law countries, as the SCOTUS pointed out in the case I cited above. The countries Trump cites are Roman or "Civil Law" countries...
    For me I think its important to differentiate between different types of birthright citizenship. This is just one type:
    While Trump rails against U.S.-born children of undocumented immigrants, his Florida properties have become a playground for birth tourists from Russia’s upper crust. The Daily Beast has discovered several companies are advertising rentals in Trump properties to expectant Russian parents. While the Trump Organization does not directly profit from subleases of privately owned condos, it does benefit from Russian patronage of the nearby Trump International Beach Resort. (The Trump Organization did not return requests comment.)
    Many of the companies that cater to Russian birth tourists advertise their services openly and warn no one will get in trouble as long as they don’t lie on immigration paperwork.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/russia...to-us-citizens

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    Some snakes birth their young live.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Please God, no...

https://apple.news/AkXeFywvWSA6YK94AQQu8NQ