Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread - Page 8
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Re: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by rjtide View Post
    cost of higher education, IMO, should be borne by the individual getting that education.
    I see your capitalization button is in working order. There's no penalty for using it, and it can make it a little easier for oldtimers like myself to understand what we are reading. An occasional paragraph break can be a poster's friend too.

You make solid points & I enjoy reading your point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    I see your capitalization button is in working order. There's no penalty for using it, and it can make it a little easier for oldtimers like myself to understand what we are reading. An occasional paragraph break can be a poster's friend too.

You make solid points & I enjoy reading your point of view.
    hey now. you need to slow your roll here a little bit.
    Last edited by 92tide; January 29th, 2019 at 12:01 PM.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

cost of higher education, IMO, should be borne by the individual getting that education.
    I think it would be a great idea except for the fact that we are already 21 trillion in debt and adding a trillion more every year thanks to the tax cuts. This idea of promising more and more without the balls to fund it is ridiculous. This includes tax cuts which will 'pay for themselves'.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    For curiosity, would you favor a single payer system (no matter what it's called)?
    dual system probably. let me explain: i think 'medicare for all' is eventually going to happen.....and actually would be helpful as a 'bare bones' health insurance offering which would cover the basics like annual wellness exams or 3-4 periodic doctor visits per year for those who are diabetic, hypertensive, have COPD etc. for those that want something over and above it, i'm sure they'll have the option to purchase a policy via blue cross/blue shield, aetna, united healthcare, kaiser permanente etc. sort of like what we in the game now call dual eligible......those patients have medicare and medicaid. except for the 'medicare for all' those individuals would have very basic medicare and would be free to purchase 'supplemental' commercial health insurance. and, certainly, i would favor this option. for those who dont have the means to purchase a supplemental commercial policy they could be shifted over to the current 'dual eligible' medicare-medicaid pathway with the caveat that strict monitoring be instituted so as to cut down on individuals trying to get on this option via fraudulent/dishonest means.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    hey now. you need to slow your roll here a little bit.
    I thought of that...but you do have the edge with your brevity, which nicely counters the lack of punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    I thought of that...but you do have the edge with your brevity, which nicely counters the lack of punctuation.
    my punctuation is usually spot on:
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

The individual should definitely have some skin in the game, but it's just not realistic for most individuals to cover the cost of education, simply because the cost of college has increased so far in excess of the increases in middle and lower class income.
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    The individual should definitely have some skin in the game, but it's just not realistic for most individuals to cover the cost of education, simply because the cost of college has increased so far in excess of the increases in middle and lower class income.
    agree completely. and as many others in this thread have said higher education is not for everyone. why cant we have a more robust technical program in this country which could come with job placement guarantees and some sort of tuition subsidy? perhaps in the form of a pell grant, or something similar, where an individual who decided to use that option to help pay for his or her career training would then work for the government for a year for each year of financial support with a minimal basic salary of $35k per year.....or something to that effect

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I don't think free college for all is really necessary but it is the only conception of post-secondary professional training most people born in the 1980s or later have due to the decline of secondary and post-secondary technical education academies. We do need to spend more money on education but in service of overhauling the system to become a two-track model. Nobody should be getting a "standard diploma" in this country anymore. You're either getting a high school diploma w/ technical/professional certification or a college preparatory diploma.

There is a lot of fault in the the federal money cash grab created by subsidized loans and GI Bill that spurred on this college-as-professional-training model and it is bad for people going to college just for a professional career therefore employers too.

So you want to be a software engineer? Great, go to college and spend maybe 24 credit hours in computer science classes. When you're done you'll know how to write your own binary tree and how to convert decimal to hexadecimal in your head now but you can't build a useable piece of production software!

If you want to go be a software engineer there ought to be post-secondary academies that certify you as such that are worth as much if not more than a bachelor in computer science to employers. If you spent two years just focusing on what you were going to do in your career, I reckon it would be almost like hiring someone who has 3-5 years experience who came directly out of college with a CS bachelor degree.
    Last edited by rgw; January 29th, 2019 at 12:58 PM.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

agree completely. and as many others in this thread have said higher education is not for everyone. why cant we have a more robust technical program in this country which could come with job placement guarantees and some sort of tuition subsidy? perhaps in the form of a pell grant, or something similar, where an individual who decided to use that option to help pay for his or her career training would then work for the government for a year for each year of financial support with a minimal basic salary of $35k per year.....or something to that effect
    I said something similar in another thread.

The primary problem with free college for all is that there are a lot of people out there who have no business going to college. Not a knock on them, just a statement of fact.

Now, if you want to roll trade academies into that, you might have something. Some kind of junior college program that combines trade skills with classes on managing small business would be a godsend.

We need to get these proposals away from pie in the sky fluff to things that will address specific needs (see our nation's crumbling infrastructure for a prime example).
    This is the darkest timeline.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I don't think free college for all is really necessary but it is the only conception of post-secondary professional training most people born in the 1980s or later have due to the decline of secondary and post-secondary technical education academies. We do need to spend more money on education but in service of overhauling the system to become a two-track model. Nobody should be getting a "standard diploma" in this country anymore. You're either getting a high school diploma w/ technical/professional certification or a college preparatory diploma.

There is a lot of fault in the the federal money cash grab created by subsidized loans and GI Bill that spurred on this college-as-professional-training model and it is bad for people going to college just for a professional career therefore employers too.

So you want to be a software engineer? Great, go to college and spend maybe 24 credit hours in computer science classes. When you're done you'll know how to write your own binary tree and how to convert decimal to hexadecimal in your head now but you can't build a useable piece of production software!

If you want to go be a software engineer there ought to be post-secondary academies that certify you as such that are worth as much if not more than a bachelor in computer science to employers. If you spent two years just focusing on what you were going to do in your career, I reckon it would be almost like hiring someone who has 3-5 years experience who came directly out of college with a CS bachelor degree.
    Can we please include a class for coders/engineers that teaches them to work with end users to make the end product efficient and intuitive? ​Asking for a friend.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

dual system probably. let me explain: i think 'medicare for all' is eventually going to happen.....and actually would be helpful as a 'bare bones' health insurance offering which would cover the basics like annual wellness exams or 3-4 periodic doctor visits per year for those who are diabetic, hypertensive, have COPD etc. for those that want something over and above it, i'm sure they'll have the option to purchase a policy via blue cross/blue shield, aetna, united healthcare, kaiser permanente etc. sort of like what we in the game now call dual eligible......those patients have medicare and medicaid. except for the 'medicare for all' those individuals would have very basic medicare and would be free to purchase 'supplemental' commercial health insurance. and, certainly, i would favor this option. for those who dont have the means to purchase a supplemental commercial policy they could be shifted over to the current 'dual eligible' medicare-medicaid pathway with the caveat that strict monitoring be instituted so as to cut down on individuals trying to get on this option via fraudulent/dishonest means.
    That sounds very much like the UK's NHS. I think we're providing, sort of, the basic care plan you suggest now. The problem is it's being provided through the emergency medicine system, the most expensive wasteful method possible...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Can we please include a class for coders/engineers that teaches them to work with end users to make the end product efficient and intuitive? ​Asking for a friend.
    Tom Smykowski reporting for duty!