Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I am sure a gay guy with Butt in his name has heard every joke in the book. So he can handle what Trump has to say.

I do wish he had a little more experience than the mayor of South Bend. But in Indiana I don’t see him winning statewide office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trump wouldn’t debate him - he’d get laid so low he’d be looking up to see a snake’s behind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Although O'Rourke raised $6.1M in his first 24 hours and has the media swooning, I am not sold on him. It looks as though his campaign so far is based on charisma, personal enegry, and theatrics, haven't heard him saying anything substantive. Maybe this will change as the campaign season wears on.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Watching Elizabeth Warren right now in Jackson State University townhall and maybe I'm not being very receptive but she's awful with regard to answer questions she was asked. She definitely gets wound up but ends up just saying a bunch of generalities.

Trying to stay open minded but I think it's hard for me given my cynical nature.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think she's a good person with a good mind for the things she knows but she's not shown the ability to be a generalist which is exactly what the presidency requires. She can't really inspire a crowd and her best talks are on financial sector issues that most people realize are a problem but are not their political passion. She's generally said the right things to be the alternative for Sanders voters but nobody is gonna pick Diet Coke over the Real Thing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think she's a good person with a good mind for the things she knows but she's not shown the ability to be a generalist which is exactly what the presidency requires. She can't really inspire a crowd and her best talks are on financial sector issues that most people realize are a problem but are not their political passion. She's generally said the right things to be the alternative for Sanders voters but nobody is gonna pick Diet Coke over the Real Thing.
She told, lived and profited from a lie for many years. She will never climb out from under that...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
As it stands, right now, I would support Harris and/or Biden (if he runs). Not a fan of Warren, Booker, Klobuchar, Gabbard, Gillibrand, Sanders or O'Rourke. All of this to say, I would vote for any of these against Trump.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Watching Elizabeth Warren right now in Jackson State University townhall and maybe I'm not being very receptive but she's awful with regard to answer questions she was asked. She definitely gets wound up but ends up just saying a bunch of generalities.

Trying to stay open minded but I think it's hard for me given my cynical nature.
Yeah, this has never been her strength. I'll have to catch her town hall on Youtube, but I've heard Warren in similar forums before, and... meh. Love her ideas, hate her delivery.

Bazz, I know you're on the Biden train, but I'm curious if this guy resonates at all with you:

Buttigieg, who attended Harvard, studied philosophy, politics, and economics (P.P.E.) at Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship, and did a tour in Afghanistan as a naval reservist, can seem like an “old person’s idea of a young person,” as Michael Kinsley once said of Al Gore. Certainly, against the image of the millennial left, and of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Buttigieg appears to be a more prosaic political character—he has a habit of giving answers in numbered sequence, and he uses phrases like “pathway to peace.” But, in his own understated way, he is suggesting a sharp break with the past. If you thought in terms of the effects of public policy on millennials, he said, you began to see generational imbalances everywhere. The victims of school shootings suffered because of the gun liberties given to older Americans. Cutting taxes for the richest Americans meant that young people, inevitably, would have to pay the bill. Climate policy, he said, was the deepest example of the imbalance, but the Iraq War was perhaps the most tangible. “There’s this romantic idea that’s built up around war,” he said. “But the pragmatic view is there are tons of people of my generation who have lost their lives, lost their marriages, or lost their health as a consequence of being sent to wars which could have been avoided.” Then he quoted, happily, from “Lawrence of Arabia”: “The virtues of war are the virtues of young men—courage and hope for the future. The vices of peace are the vices of old men—mistrust and caution.” -- LINK

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Yeah, this has never been her strength. I'll have to catch her town hall on Youtube, but I've heard Warren in similar forums before, and... meh. Love her ideas, hate her delivery.

Bazz, I know you're on the Biden train, but I'm curious if this guy resonates at all with you:

Buttigieg, who attended Harvard, studied philosophy, politics, and economics (P.P.E.) at Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship, and did a tour in Afghanistan as a naval reservist, can seem like an “old person’s idea of a young person,” as Michael Kinsley once said of Al Gore. Certainly, against the image of the millennial left, and of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Buttigieg appears to be a more prosaic political character—he has a habit of giving answers in numbered sequence, and he uses phrases like “pathway to peace.” But, in his own understated way, he is suggesting a sharp break with the past. If you thought in terms of the effects of public policy on millennials, he said, you began to see generational imbalances everywhere. The victims of school shootings suffered because of the gun liberties given to older Americans. Cutting taxes for the richest Americans meant that young people, inevitably, would have to pay the bill. Climate policy, he said, was the deepest example of the imbalance, but the Iraq War was perhaps the most tangible. “There’s this romantic idea that’s built up around war,” he said. “But the pragmatic view is there are tons of people of my generation who have lost their lives, lost their marriages, or lost their health as a consequence of being sent to wars which could have been avoided.” Then he quoted, happily, from “Lawrence of Arabia”: “The virtues of war are the virtues of young men—courage and hope for the future. The vices of peace are the vices of old men—mistrust and caution.” -- LINK
Thanks, Charmin....definitely will check out later - headed out right now.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Liz Warren will the have the same problem that Hillary Clinton had—likability. She comes across as constantly angry and very negative. That might gin up the democrat base living in Trump World, but it is a huge turnoff to political moderates that don’t engage politically until about two months before the election.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
He probably going to some kind of MAGA Rally!:biggrin:

​(I wouldn't say that except friend Bazza has a good sense of humor)
Ha.....good one! To tell you the truth - I hate crowds and on top of that wouldn't be caught dead going to any political rally no matter who is speaking! Got better things to do - probably like most here.

I got through about half the video and will finish watching at some point by morning. So far so good. Huge brownie points for being a lieutenant in the Navy, which is the rank my father had when he retired. I didn't know that about the man.

Had a long day today but l look forward to posting my thoughts soon!

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Polls show Bernie Sanders popularity among all voters is plummeting

Our new CNN poll puts Sanders favorable rating at 46% compared to an unfavorable rating of 45% among registered voters. This is only the latest poll to have Sanders at basically even in his net favorability rating (favorable-unfavorable). A Quinnipiac University poll from late December gave the Vermont senator a net favorability of just +2 points. An average of all recent polls put Sanders' net favorability at about -1 points.

Compare that to where Sanders was at the end of his 2016 presidential bid. Sanders had a 59% favorable rating to 36% unfavorable rating among all voters in a CNN poll taken in June 2016.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I only just started researching and listening to him but I THINK I really like this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.