Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
The last debate lowered my opinion of Warren. Her attempt to not answer if the middle class would see increased taxes was terrible. Her ultimate answer that the wealthy and corporations would see tax increases. What do you think corporations would do with increased taxes? They are definitely not going to just eat the loss.

While he has no chance to win, Booker made the most since when he said they all needed to stop bashing each other.

I agree with Earle in that we need the a Democratic candidate that will beat Trump. The only one I can see doing that right now is Biden. I do like a couple candidates but he is the only candidate that I can see moderate Republicans being willing to back.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I get the feeling that you don't care if a Democrat wins or not, so long as it's "your kind of Democrat." AMIRITE?
Just got back to this thread this AM and was about to type this exact thought, although I was going to say that he would vote for the Dem candidate as long as it was Bernie. I do not fault others for their choice of candidates, that supposedly is one of our freedoms (so far), but anybody who would not vote for whomever the Dem candidate winds up being or abstains, is voting for Trump. We have to rid our country and the world from this human scourge, then and only then can the Dems find consensus.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Maybe but I'm genuinely surprised that some people can't understand that there are substantive differences between candidates besides their identity bucket.
Saw a few things this morning that made me think of what you were saying again. It drives me batty. Mainly bc "the squad" endorses Bernie, then all women and all people of color should.

You're a woman you should vote for x. You're a minority, you should vote y.
It's just as condescending as if someone said or implied you're white, or a male, vote z.

As though large segments of the population have to be in lockstep because of of their genetic predisposition. My ovaries have nothing to do with how I vote, just as the melanin content of someone's skin also doesn't dictate how they vote.

This divide and separate is part of why we have such problems in this country.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Let me be clear. The country needs for whichever Democratic candidate who emerges to be able to remove Trump from office. That being the sole criterion, I can make my peace with each and every one. I fear that anyone who is such an ideologue that he/she can't see what four more years of Trump will do is one of the greater dangers to the republic at this time. At the same time, I fear that Sanders and Warren cannot win. That is my main fear...
My concern is that everyone other than Sanders and Warren will just end up being a recapitulation of the abortive Clinton campaign.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Saw a few things this morning that made me think of what you were saying again. It drives me batty. Mainly bc "the squad" endorses Bernie, then all women and all people of color should.

You're a woman you should vote for x. You're a minority, you should vote y.
It's just as condescending as if someone said or implied you're white, or a male, vote z.

As though large segments of the population have to be in lockstep because of of their genetic predisposition. My ovaries have nothing to do with how I vote, just as the melanin content of someone's skin also doesn't dictate how they vote.

This divide and separate is part of why we have such problems in this country.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I would also add "the divide and separate" is what the Trump cult is counting on. Those who want to rid our country of Trump need to get out and vote united to remove him and then they can sort things out later.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
My concern is that everyone other than Sanders and Warren will just end up being a recapitulation of the abortive Clinton campaign.
That just seems out of touch with reality. Of all the current candidates and Hillary, only one of them had had a constant smear campaign running against them for 20 years. None of the candidates running have near the name recognition, nor the vitriol that she had generated or had generated about her.

If any one of these candidates had near the anti-democrat pull that Hillary does, you would find Trump pivoting towards how dangerous they are instead of still trying to start investigations into what is ostensibly a private citizen at this point.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I guess we'll see. Most of y'all think a SocDem is unelectable in America but I think a centrist is just as unelectable at this juncture. I don't think Buttigieg or Biden are going to whip up the votes by telling everyone in the most contemptuous was possible why better things are not possible (my billionaire donors said so). Even if the Democratic wins only win because Trump manages to alienate enough voters, I do not think that type of candidate is one to reverse the pull of fascism in this country. Milquetoast Men are the recipe for getting The Competent Fascist in 2024 or 2028.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I guess we'll see. Most of y'all think a SocDem is unelectable in America but I think a centrist is just as unelectable at this juncture. I don't think Buttigieg or Biden are going to whip up the votes by telling everyone in the most contemptuous was possible why better things are not possible (my billionaire donors said so). Even if the Democratic wins only win because Trump manages to alienate enough voters, I do not think that type of candidate is one to reverse the pull of fascism in this country. Milquetoast Men are the recipe for getting The Competent Fascist in 2024 or 2028.
Actually, the polls still show Biden beating Trump by a larger margin than either Warren or Sanders. However, I fear that, if the economy holds up, I think he'll be elected over any of them. It's the way it's always been...

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Actually, the polls still show Biden beating Trump by a larger margin than either Warren or Sanders. However, I fear that, if the economy holds up, I think he'll be elected over any of them. It's the way it's always been...
Otherwise known as the "Personally I am doing great, I don't see what the big deal is." phenomenon.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That is truly something to fear long term. Replacing the bad racist sundowning dummy with the good racist sundowning dummy will almost certainly go poorly.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
A lot depends on how the impeachment proceedings unfold. I was watching Fox News last night and they think, as do I, that Trump has sold out the Kurds and given their homeland to the Turks. Now Trump's acting chief of staff has pubicly admitted there was a quid pro quo on the Trump/Zelensky phone call. Trump is also spending federal dollars at his hotel for the G7 summit.

I know Trump has his base, but that base is not enough to get him elected. The Dems must have a candidate that moderates who voted for Trump can support. Neither Warren nor Sanders can fill that bill because of how much money they are talking about spending. Free college, reparations for slaves, Medicare for all, cancel student debt, healthcare and welfare for immigrants, etc.

Amy Klobuchar is too nervous. She would be a good candidate if her voice didn't shake. I'd vote for her.

Pete Buttigieg is young and gay "not that there's anything wrong with that" but both will cost him some votes. IMO, he is clearly head and shoulders above every other candidate and he's still receiving my dollars.

That leaves Joe Biden with the best chance to defeat Trump. Anyone who would vote for Warren or Biden would vote for any Democrat over Trump. I don't think the left will stay home because of the obvious dumpster fire Trump has created WRT China, immigration, and foreign policy.

If Biden gets the nomination, his most likely choices for VP should be Buttigieg, Warren, or Klobuchar. Since Buttigieg and Klobuchar are from the Midwest my guess is it will be one of these two. As someone who has never voted for a Democratic presidential candidate, I'd take either one.

And I'm not giving up on Trump not being removed from office yet. He's in panic mode and falling back into his on pile everyday. There's more to come because we haven't even seen the tax records yet.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Pete Buttigieg is young and gay "not that there's anything wrong with that" but both will cost him some votes. IMO, he is clearly head and shoulders above every other candidate and he's still receiving my dollars.
This is my overly optimistic view. I have been thinking about the electorate re: Pete for awhile now.

He is not going to pull any die hard Trump supporters, the only candidates that might reasonably do that are Sanders or Warren. In the diehards eyes Biden is far worse than Trump because the taint of Hunter's corruption.

So let's talk conservatives who have turned from Trump or voted third party. I think you can break them up into:
1. Actual evangelicals that are holding on to their morals. - Lucky if 10% vote for Pete, , others will not vote or vote 3rd party
2. Fiscal conservatives - Likely vote for Pete, but maybe in the 80-90%, others will not vote or vote 3rd party
3. Ex and Current Military - Likely vote for Pete, but maybe in the 60-80% range, others will not vote or vote 3rd party

I think Pete if he is the nominee pulls 90% of left/democrat voters. That is taking into account the African American voters that show. If there is really a chink in Pete's armor, its that I am not sure he can gain the name recognition with African Americans by the primaries. I think if he comes through the primaries without being too bruised, the full weight of the DNC can easily get him the recognition that he will need.

I am just wary of thinking that there are that many people who will be forced to vote for Trump if Pete is the nominee. I think no democratic candidate will pull the core supporters (the 36% of people who still think he is gods gift to America). Those who are conservative and no longer with Trump, I think the only ones Pete loses will be evangelicals.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Yep.. People vote their pocket books.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This is my overly optimistic view. I have been thinking about the electorate re: Pete for awhile now.

He is not going to pull any die hard Trump supporters, the only candidates that might reasonably do that are Sanders or Warren. In the diehards eyes Biden is far worse than Trump because the taint of Hunter's corruption.

So let's talk conservatives who have turned from Trump or voted third party. I think you can break them up into:
1. Actual evangelicals that are holding on to their morals. - Lucky if 10% vote for Pete, , others will not vote or vote 3rd party
2. Fiscal conservatives - Likely vote for Pete, but maybe in the 80-90%, others will not vote or vote 3rd party
3. Ex and Current Military - Likely vote for Pete, but maybe in the 60-80% range, others will not vote or vote 3rd party

I think Pete if he is the nominee pulls 90% of left/democrat voters. That is taking into account the African American voters that show. If there is really a chink in Pete's armor, its that I am not sure he can gain the name recognition with African Americans by the primaries. I think if he comes through the primaries without being too bruised, the full weight of the DNC can easily get him the recognition that he will need.

I am just wary of thinking that there are that many people who will be forced to vote for Trump if Pete is the nominee. I think no democratic candidate will pull the core supporters (the 36% of people who still think he is gods gift to America). Those who are conservative and no longer with Trump, I think the only ones Pete loses will be evangelicals.
Usually saying “God’s gift” is a figure of speech. But there are people out there who literally believe God gave President Trump to America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.