Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Joe Biden: Banning Assault Weapons Works
That’s why, as president, I will push to ban them again. - nyt opinion piece by biden maybe paywall

We have to get these weapons of war off our streets.

Nearly 70 percent of the American public support a ban on assault weapons — including 54 percent of Republicans.

When you have that kind of broad public support for legislation that will make everyone safer, and it still can’t get through the Senate — the problem is with weak-willed leaders who care more about their campaign coffers than children in coffins.

The 1994 assault weapons and high-capacity magazines bans worked.

And if I am elected president, we’re going to pass them again — and this time, we’ll make them even stronger. We’re going to stop gun manufacturers from circumventing the law by making minor modifications to their products — modifications that leave them just as deadly. And this time, we’re going to pair it with a buyback program to get as many assault weapons off our streets as possible as quickly as possible...

If we cannot rise to meet this moment, it won’t just be a political failure. It will be a moral one. It will mean that we accept the next inevitable tragedy. That we are desensitized to children running from schools and bodies littering parking lots, that our outpouring of thoughts and prayers will grow increasingly hollow.

It’s unacceptable that children learn to fear mass shooters alongside their ABCs, that people feel unsafe on their weekly grocery run, and that families everywhere experience increasing anxiety that they are simply not safe anywhere in the United States.

I, for one, won’t stand for that. And the American people are with me.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
What I'm saying is that when you look at some of these manifestos from shooters like the one today you see the ideological mismash most of them have. Sure, they're crazy who cares right? I think more than we realize basically have this weird anti-corporate but it is all the brown/black's fault mindset and it is largely because stuff left of the mainstream democratic party doesn't really get enough traction in our political discourse. If it is dismissed immediately that Marx and others on the left were right about at least a few things - and this is certainly how the majority in this country were conditioned to think - then where else do you have to go other than basic xenophobia? No other explanation for the pressure you're feeling is really allowed. This dissonance can culminate with violence and what we're seeing now are the most at risk reaching that tipping point first.

Furthermore, I don't really care if people think their healthcare coverage is fine today. Humans in general are bad at foresight. The insurance model is getting demonstrably worse over time and the burden is being put upon the consumer more than anyone. It is an unsustainable model for national health and there will be a reckoning for it. I'd rather do it methodically with a plan rather than what we will end up getting: a slapped together wreck in response to a massive crisis. At some point all but the biggest corporations are not going to be able to support the privatized, employer-contribution based system. At that moment is when we'll end up dealing with it and the solution will be a rushed mess. Lets just be proactive for one flipping time. We all have health or we're dead. It isn't going to disappear as a need and the current model will fall apart in my lifetime.
Why would you want to refer to a wicked fool's handful of astute observations when you could refer to multitudes of others who are not so unworthy but have come to those same few conclusions? It's not because we're conditioned to think Marx was a what we think he is, it's because we've used the critical thinking mentioned in another thread and have reasoned that he was a fool. We know from his actions and motives that he was wicked. I have not resorted to xenophobia - I am just the opposite. How do you come to such conclusions?

And you think a single-payer system is the solution? There is indeed a lack of critical thinking in this country.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Beto couldn’t beat Cruz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He won't beat Cornyn, either......but strategically it makes sense on two fronts:
1) you force the RNC to actually have to spend some money here (which means they can't spend it elsewhere)
2) his chances of winning the nomination have something in common with being an atheist: he hasn't got a prayer.

He's also not going to carry Texas if he was the VP, either, so he may as well do his party a service.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Wynkoop is a dutch name, my SIL's maiden name, Dutch on her father's side, German on her mother's. In fact, I'd bet Hickenlooper is also...
His Wiki page says he is from Pennsylvania. His hometown’s mayor’s last name is Deutch. So he likely is German/Dutch.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Wynkoop is a dutch name, my SIL's maiden name, Dutch on her father's side, German on her mother's. In fact, I'd bet Hickenlooper is also...
Earle,

As a man who was fortunate enough to have spent five years in Europe and have at least a base knowledge of German and Koine Greek (English, not so much) - and can figure a lot out because of my med school background - you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of words and names and origins.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
So - we have a long ways to go, still.

What are your current thoughts as to who will win the nomination?

I don't see Harris or Warren, myself. But stranger things have happened!

That leaves Biden and Bernie as the next two in line. Biden right now seems more likely than Bernie.

I don't really see any others.

With that, Biden still looks like he'll get it.

If he is elected, will that be OK for everyone, all things considered?

Those who are saying "Anyone other than Trump" have already chimed in.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Bernie really doesn't stand a chance; Warren has many of the same positions, is more likable, and is actually a Democrat.

I fear that, like last time, the press will treat Biden's nomination as a fait accompli,
and ignore his many weakneses.

I'm still on the Warren bus--and let's be clear: She's far more liberal than I would prefer. But of the all the candidates, she's the one most suited to look at a complicated situation with a critical eye.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't think Bernie has a shot but I'd vote for him over Biden if it comes to the 2 of them. I'd vote for basically any Dem over Biden.

Warren and Buttigieg are the only 2 that I would be ecstatic about and my 2 favorite by a wide margin. That said I'd vote for others like Kamala if I had to.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Bernie really doesn't stand a chance; Warren has many of the same positions, is more likable, and is actually a Democrat.

I fear that, like last time, the press will treat Biden's nomination as a fait accompli,
and ignore his many weakneses.

I'm still on the Warren bus--and let's be clear: She's far more liberal than I would prefer. But of the all the candidates, she's the one most suited to look at a complicated situation with a critical eye.
My guess is Warren has around 20 IQ points above the closest Dem rival. (Although Mayor Pete seems smart as a whip also.) While I don't agree with all of her positions, I have more confidence in her ability to think things through and take the right approach. And I like her fighting spirit.

The first time Trump calls her Pocahontas in a debate, Warren could tell him "Mr. President, I'm doing my best to resist my impulse to scalp you...if ever anybody needed scalping... but I'm trying to control myself. I suggest you not provoke me. And if you pull that stunt of standing right behind me as I try to answer questions, I will make you regret it."

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I don't think Bernie has a shot but I'd vote for him over Biden if it comes to the 2 of them. I'd vote for basically any Dem over Biden.

Warren and Buttigieg are the only 2 that I would be ecstatic about and my 2 favorite by a wide margin. That said I'd vote for others like Kamala if I had to.
This.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Of course, national polls really don’t matter as it is about what happens in six or so states. If Biden is the nominee and Berniebots stay home or go Green again, we get another four years of Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.