Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The important factor is that folk vote, reluctantly or not!
If only my vote mattered. Thanks, electoral college.
Two different takes.

I think if you are launching a public service campaign to get people to vote....you say "Vote no matter what" - just to send a clear message...period.

Like "Say no to Drugs". Vs. "Say no to Drugs (except a little weed never hurt anyone - so we'll give you a pass on that)".

Keep it simple stupid.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Have y'all looked into Andrew Yang?

I have yet to do the math, but a vat tax (if you include FICO, ss, & take away healthcare expenses) may be better for most of us. His gun policy is a bit to the left for my liking, but some of it makes sense, and anything would be moved to the middle by Congress.

Most of his other policies I agree with - although I'd like to see an analysis of how the 1000 a month for everyone would have an impact on inflation. That one I'm not too sure on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Have y'all looked into Andrew Yang?

I have yet to do the math, but a vat tax (if you include FICO, ss, & take away healthcare expenses) may be better for most of us. His gun policy is a bit to the left for my liking, but some of it makes sense, and anything would be moved to the middle by Congress.

Most of his other policies I agree with - although I'd like to see an analysis of how the 1000 a month for everyone would have an impact on inflation. That one I'm not too sure on.

I'm suspicious about his UBI plan actually helping the people who need help when his dividend replaces welfare benefits and is financed primarily by a VAT. Here's one take on his program: https://www.theweek.com/articles/858097/andrew-yangs-ubi-problem

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I'm suspicious about his UBI plan actually helping the people who need help when his dividend replaces welfare benefits and is financed primarily by a VAT. Here's one take on his program: https://www.theweek.com/articles/858097/andrew-yangs-ubi-problem
Good analysis & thanks.
And I'm just looking into it, but my understanding was that the VAT would replace the income tax.

Bc if you had income tax, vat, and were still paying for healthcare bc it hasn't been implemented, then many of the middle class would be paying nearly 40% combined (including ss, fifa, healthcare costs, state). Leaving us starving or bankrupt. If you added the ubi back in, it would be roughly equal to what we're paying now, depending on what/if you could take tax credits.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Our welfare system is kinda overwrought with monopoly monies that only came into existence to assure no misuse of taxpayer's money.In abstract I kinda like the idea of just giving out cash but the cash has to be commensurate to the monopoly money value. Obviously that creates new problems but I think the abstractions of values in social welfare is an unneeded management burden. Just cut checks and if they misuse the money then they lose it. If they run out of money then I guess they're gonna get hounded by collections and go hungry. If they misuse money given for dependent care then they lose the kids. Conservatives like the idea of personal responsibility. There is probably a way to spin this as a way to grow financial responsibility or whatever. I don't really care about what cons think but I suppose you need some of their votes but I'll leave that to someone else.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Basically begging CNN to make him the John Delaney of tonight's debate. Not a bad strategy IMO.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1183913846173569024

While I prefer his health care plan over sanders or warren ( and I prefer stubbing my toe over breaking my foot) his math will not work. He wants to cap insurance premiums at 8.5% of income. The Healthcare market is arround 20% of out economy. So where does the extra money come from?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
AOC and Omar endorsed Sanders. Something that was obviously going to happen to all but those who are centrist twitter types who think identity is the only valence for political understanding. WHY NO ENDORSE WOMAN WHILE BEING A WOMAN?! DURR

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
AOC and Omar endorsed Sanders. Something that was obviously going to happen to all but those who are centrist twitter types who think identity is the only valence for political understanding. WHY NO ENDORSE WOMAN WHILE BEING A WOMAN?! DURR
Are you just taking another contemptuous swat at all except the far left again? Hard to tell...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Maybe but I'm genuinely surprised that some people can't understand that there are substantive differences between candidates besides their identity bucket.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Maybe but I'm genuinely surprised that some people can't understand that there are substantive differences between candidates besides their identity bucket.
Let me be clear. The country needs for whichever Democratic candidate who emerges to be able to remove Trump from office. That being the sole criterion, I can make my peace with each and every one. I fear that anyone who is such an ideologue that he/she can't see what four more years of Trump will do is one of the greater dangers to the republic at this time. At the same time, I fear that Sanders and Warren cannot win. That is my main fear...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Buttigieg and Kolbuchar suck and basically only represent people that exist in the op-ed section. She should just stick to her guns.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Buttigieg and Kolbuchar suck and basically only represent people that exist in the op-ed section. She should just stick to her guns.
I would vote for either one over Trump and so would alot of other people. They do not suck too bad obviously.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I get the feeling that you don't care if a Democrat wins or not, so long as it's "your kind of Democrat." AMIRITE?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Only if she wants to be embarrassed again. She was one breath away from pulling a Marco Rubio by repeating that rehearsed "costs will go down" dodge.

Personally, I think she was hoping to ride the Bernie M4A train through the primary without having to actually release a healthcare plan of her own, and then pivot to something more like what Buttigieg/Biden are proposing for the general. She has a thousand plans for fringe policies but not for the #1 issue of many voters? That's always been weird. But now she's in a bit of a pickle. The problem is that if she pivots now, it's a disaster. And if she keeps doing what she's been doing, it's a disaster. If she believes in the plan, she should just come out and say that yeah middle class taxes will go up, but you get X Y and Z in return, like Bernie does. But she has obviously decided not to do that. She's put herself in a tough corner, and I'm curious what she'll do to escape it.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I voted Libertarian last time because it really didn’t matter and I couldn’t bring myself to vote for Hillary.

Even though my vote is still meaningless I will vote Democrat even if Hillary is the nominee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.