Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I understand your viewpoint and I even agree with parts of it. I just think that, barring national emergencies like a world war or a major depression, the weight of the American electorate is in the center. That's the reason divided government is the norm. Trump is an anomaly but he could still be with us for four more years...
Yeah without a war debt that takes 100 years to pay off I don’t think we have to worry much about a military regime taking over. The Weimar Germany was doomed to radicalism regardless of how ineffective the centrist were. The only question was who would take over... the fascist right or the communist left?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
True. I don't know if I'll vote for him if I'm in Alabama in 2020 (reckon I will be) but I do hope he wins the electoral college. I just hope the DNP wins the senate back, keeps the house too, and that the composition of the DNP caucus is progressive enough to force him to veto things that are good progressive policies.
I agree that taking the senate back will greatly limit the amount of damage he can do, and it shapes up much better for 2020 than it did in 2018...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I understand your viewpoint and I even agree with parts of it. I just think that, barring national emergencies like a world war or a major depression, the weight of the American electorate is in the center. That's the reason divided government is the norm. Trump is an anomaly but he could still be with us for four more years...
This^^^. If given the choice between a conservative candidate versus a (real or perceived) liberal candidate in 2020, the conservative will win, probably easily. The anti-trump Republicans and moderate independents will not vote for Sanders or Warren, but may vote for Biden. I may be proved wrong, but I feel most Americans want a President who is not a worldwide embarrassment and is someone who can be trusted.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Anti-Trump republicans seem to be like ol' short man Shapiro: whine about his lack of decorum but punch the ticket because he's an effective vehicle for pushing their interests. They'll hem and haw about how awful he is but their voting preferences will not change.

Turning center-right folks is a fool's errand. More luck is to be had with engaging those who showed up in 2008 but didn't in 2012 or 2016. Ideally you'd find a way to get never voters to vote but I think that takes catastrophe like 2008.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Anti-Trump republicans seem to be like ol' short man Shapiro: whine about his lack of decorum but punch the ticket because he's an effective vehicle for pushing their interests. They'll hem and haw about how awful he is but their voting preferences will not change.

Turning center-right folks is a fool's errand. More luck is to be had with engaging those who showed up in 2008 but didn't in 2012 or 2016. Ideally you'd find a way to get never voters to vote but I think that takes catastrophe like 2008.
First, you're the one defining what's right and left to you. Looking at US history, I think turning far left at any time other than depression or war is a fool's errand...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

You base that on what? Bill Kristol vote for Trump? Lolol

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Where’s Beto? I liked how he stood on top of bar tops and tables out on the stump. He’s virtually disappeared off the news.
I am beginning to think that Beto was a "one hit wonder". Also he was going up against one of the biggest dbags in the Senate, Ted Cruz which would make anybody look good by comparison.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
So Why Did People Cote For Donald Trump

https://www.vagazette.com/opinion/va-vg-edit-filko-0203-story.html

Many were disappointed with Trump’s pre-election commentary and behavior. Most of them supported other Republicans during the primary. However, when it came down to Trump or Clinton, they held their noses and voted for Trump, some with trepidation. In fact, some of them today would be happy to see either his resignation or impeachment. But at the time they were willing to take a chance, kick the card table over and let the chips fall where they may.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i am still convinced that a large amount of the voters (larger than most people want to admit) were actually cool with his bringing brazen fascist white supremacy out in the open. that so many have stuck with him seems to point to that.
No doubt about it. Both my SILs are firm supporters and are terrible racists. Neither is really aware of her racism...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
lots of extended family of mine are the same. luckily, i don't have to interact with any of them very much at all.
I avoid contact also. One is in Orange County California and the other in Cartersville (actually "White, GA."). They would never use the "N" word, but, if asked directly, each would tell you blacks are inferior, and, being from Oxford, MS and having had a family restaurant, they literally rubbed elbows every day...

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
Bernie is going to be in Montgomery on Monday! Feel the BERN!!!
Rally with Bernie Sanders in Montgomery
Monday, May 20 at 12:45 p.m.
Mount Zion AME Zion Church
455 W Jeff Davis Ave
Montgomery, AL 36104

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
lots of extended family of mine are the same. luckily, i don't have to interact with any of them very much at all.
We've got the same situation with most of my family members. We usually only see them at the holidays so we try to avoid politics. Their biggest issue is abortion so they're pretty happy right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.