Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So much money and self-advancement to be made in bridging the gap between right-wing politics and evangelicalism tho
this started on a large scale in the late 70s and is one of the main reasons we are where we are as a country right now.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Only four?

He does not honor his mother. (Google his relationship with her).
He does not keep the Sabbath holy.
He has other gods before Him and worships them. (Counting money as a god since Jesus said loving money is the root of all evil).
He takes the Lord’s name in vain.

I doubt he has committed murder. But he has likely paid for an abortion (just guessing), which is murder to some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Correction... the money quote came from Paul in One Timothy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Biden announcing Thursday. Which means he'll be the 3rd most talked about story since it's also the NFL Draft and Avengers Endgame comes out

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
this started on a large scale in the late 70s and is one of the main reasons we are where we are as a country right now.
Why start in the 1970’s? Graham’s crusade started in the 1960’s vs the communists and pretty much he and Buckley started to shape the New Right after that.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Why start in the 1970’s? Graham’s crusade started in the 1960’s vs the communists and pretty much he and Buckley started to shape the New Right after that.
i always pin it to the late 70s moral majority/fallwell movement, but yeah, it started before that. i was coming of age during all of this and had more than one crazy uncle all in with the movement and also watched the church i grew up in head that way as well.

The Real Origins of the Religious Right
They’ll tell you it was abortion. Sorry, the historical record’s clear: It was segregation.

But the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny. In fact, it wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe—that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools. So much for the new abolitionism....

In Green v. Kennedy (David Kennedy was secretary of the treasury at the time), decided in January 1970, the plaintiffs won a preliminary injunction, which denied the “segregation academies” tax-exempt status until further review. In the meantime, the government was solidifying its position on such schools. Later that year, President Richard Nixon ordered the Internal Revenue Service to enact a new policy denying tax exemptions to all segregated schools in the United States. Under the provisions of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, which forbade racial segregation and discrimination, discriminatory schools were not—by definition—“charitable” educational organizations, and therefore they had no claims to tax-exempt status; similarly, donations to such organizations would no longer qualify as tax-deductible contributions.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
i always pin it to the late 70s moral majority/fallwell movement, but yeah, it started before that. i was coming of age during all of this and had more than one crazy uncle all in with the movement and also watched the church i grew up in head that way as well.

The Real Origins of the Religious Right
They’ll tell you it was abortion. Sorry, the historical record’s clear: It was segregation.
Fair enough. I was just curious because I always saw the origins of the religious right as to be more against the spread of communism is the 60’s. But I agree they got far more power with Nixon and the Bushes than they ever have had.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
No surprise here...

Comcast executive to host Joe Biden fundraiser

Unlike many of his competitors, Biden is courting some of the party's traditional high-dollar donors to support his campaign, which is evident from the invitation to the fundraiser, obtained by CBS Philadelphia. The Cohens, along with cohosts who include top lobbyists and lawyers in Pennsylvania, are seeking donations of at least $2,800 to attend the fundraiser

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
"Everyone is treated with dignity" says Joe! "Hate is given no safe harbor" says Joe. "WE can't forget what happened in Charlottesville" says Joe. "It's who we are" says Joe.

"This is America!" says Joe.

:pDT_Armataz_01_42:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's forgotten for a reason. Several actually. Ironically all having to do with politics.

That said - most voters will vote for Biden because of his likability - not his policies.

They will NOT vote for the others - because of their policies.
so you are saying there are no other likable candidates running for the nom?

assuming he makes it to the debates, i think the effects of his age will become very evident in comparison to the other candidates. same thing with bernie.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
so you are saying there are no other likable candidates running for the nom?

assuming he makes it to the debates, i think the effects of his age will become very evident in comparison to the other candidates. same thing with bernie.
Put another way - I think he is the most likeable candidate overall.

I look forward to the debates and feel with Biden in now - they will be much more enjoyable (watchable).

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Put another way - I think he is the most likeable candidate overall.

I look forward to the debates and feel with Biden in now - they will be much more enjoyable (watchable).
he certainly is "likable". but he is also looking fairly frail and old and campaigning can take its toll.

i think that with the field that is currently there, the debates will be substantive and watchable - in addition to being a stark contrast to the slow motion trainwreck that is the gop - regardless of whether or not biden is in.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
he certainly is "likable". but he is also looking fairly frail and old and campaigning can take its toll.

i think that with the field that is currently there, the debates will be substantive and watchable - in addition to being a stark contrast to the slow motion trainwreck that is the gop - regardless of whether or not biden is in.
Yeah yeah but....the REAL fun starts when we get into the presidential debates - assuming the president does run for re-election, which seems more and more likely every day - although I still have some doubt. Nevertheless, if he's in it - we're in for some entertainment of the highest order!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah yeah but....the REAL fun starts when we get into the presidential debates - assuming the president does run for re-election, which seems more and more likely every day - although I still have some doubt. Nevertheless, if he's in it - we're in for some entertainment of the highest order!
we are already being "entertained" at the highest order by the 24-7 reality show that y'all voted in. i'll pass on the entertainment aspect.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
From the Dems who are running, I'm not sure I see someone who can beat Ol Bonespurs. I'll vote for anyone but him, but no Dem candidate yet gets me excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.