Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
looks like a list that favors Trump. If yall really think folks like Warren has a shot then yall are fooling yall's self.
I don't think Warren has a real shot at the Dem nomination. Idk about everyone else but the way she handled the Native American thing really bothered me.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
i think the next 12-18 months will give us an idea as to who may have a shot.
I still thinking a candidate closer to the middle has a far better chance than one that has totally sold their soul to the left. Someone like Obama.

To beat Trump you need to throw your ego out of it, and not try to out heel a heel on live tv, but still remain strong with a message. What Jeb and Hillary did was stupid, Trump is a pro at being a reality TV star. I fear Warren believes she can beat him at his own game, and I believe that is why she would get destroyed by Trump despite what polls and social media seems to suggest now.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I still thinking a candidate closer to the middle has a far better chance than one that has totally sold their soul to the left. Someone like Obama.

To beat Trump you need to throw your ego out of it, and not try to out heel a heel on live tv, but still remain strong with a message. What Jeb and Hillary did was stupid, Trump is a pro at being a reality TV star. I fear Warren believes she can beat him at his own game, and I believe that is why she would get destroyed by Trump despite what polls and social media seems to suggest now.
Agreed, that is a legitimate concern.

I don't agree that she's "sold her soul to the left." Hell, even Tucker Carlson said he agreed with her view on wealth inequality, which is the main plank in her platform. Frankly, the Overton window might slice off a few fingers when it snaps back to normal.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I don't think Warren has a real shot at the Dem nomination. Idk about everyone else but the way she handled the Native American thing really bothered me.
I tend to have some bias toward Warren myself. I can't quite say why I don't find her to be an attractive candidate. I may be biased myself toward her as a woman and a liberal.

Before someone does thumbs down on her however and criticizes her for claiming American Indian heritage one needs to understand that she is a native of Oklahoma and very clearly could have a Cherokee heritage. She also should be credited for rising from her lower middle class roots in Oklahoma to become a noted attorney and Professor of Law at the University of Texas and Harvard University. I admire that a great deal.

It also appears to be very clear that if a Democratic woman waits for the approval of a group of primarily white males in Alabama to back her campaign for Presidency she would have the proverbial snowballs chance in the infernal regions!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have never been a fan of Warren, but as I said earlier she could have a major role in a new Democrat administration. I do agree that name calling and putting a derogatory nickname to an opponent is not the way to challenge Trump, and I do not believe those beyond Trump's base would be swayed in 2020 by this behavior. The people who vote in 2020 will also know that nothing Trump says is the truth, of course I am discounting his base who apparently believe anything he says. I am open to any candidate at this point other than Bernie, Warren and Booker.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I tend to have some bias toward Warren myself. I can't quite say why I don't find her to be an attractive candidate. I may be biased myself toward her as a woman and a liberal.

Before someone does thumbs down on her however and criticizes her for claiming American Indian heritage one needs to understand that she is a native of Oklahoma and very clearly could have a Cherokee heritage. She also should be credited for rising from her lower middle class roots in Oklahoma to become a noted attorney and Professor of Law at the University of Texas and Harvard University. I admire that a great deal.

It also appears to be very clear that if a Democratic woman waits for the approval of a group of primarily white males in Alabama to back her campaign for Presidency she would have the proverbial snowballs chance in the infernal regions!
This entire thread is just an academic exercise for most of us as Trump’s chances of carrying Alabama are close to 100%. Anything is possible, but it would have to be some very bizarre circumstances for a Democrat to win here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Sen Kamala Harris (Calif) --Leaning in her direction; smart and forceful. the right will try to paint her as a wonky left-coast liberal, but I don't think it'll stick. Charmin, thanks for that article--the idea behind the proposal is good, but I'm not sure about the details.

Sen Kirsten Gillibrand (N Y)--Kind of like her, but she strikes me as a bit too opportunistic; partly from the way she got her senate seat, to the way that she led the charge to force Al Franken out of the senate. Looks to see where the wind is blowing before taking action.

Sen Elizabeth Warren (Mass)--I like her, but not as a candidate. like Harris, strong and forceful, but the wow factor isn't there. A great policy wonk, though, which is something that a new democratic administration will desperately need.

Julian Castro (Fmr HUD secretary)--looks very good in comparison to the current HUD secretary, but that's about it.

Rep Tulsi Gabbard (Hawaii)--, uh, no.

John Delaney (Fmr MD congressman)- who?

Richard Orjeda (Fmr W V state senator) - who?

Mayor Pete Buttigieg (South Bend) -- the jokes just write themselves on this one.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This entire thread is just an academic exercise for most of us as Trump’s chances of carrying Alabama are close to 100%. Anything is possible, but it would have to be some very bizarre circumstances for a Democrat to win here.

georgia could actually be in play in this next go 'round

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

Anyone know how much the Shut down is affecting Alabama? Perhaps if our state is particularly affected by it Trump will lose. I doubt it is though. It seems to me life in Montgomery is the same.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Anyone know how much the Shut down is affecting Alabama? Perhaps if our state is particularly affected by it Trump will lose. I doubt it is though. It seems to me life in Montgomery is the same.
Extensive CG facilities down here. TSA slowdown hurts larger airports more, HUD shutdown is hard to say (although I know a couple of slumlords who will be hurt by not getting that section 8 money, as well as housing developments/apartment complexes, one brand new.)
I don’t think any state is not affected.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/01/gov...eral-workers-in-alabama-arent-being-paid.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Sen Kamala Harris (Calif) --Leaning in her direction; smart and forceful. the right will try to paint her as a wonky left-coast liberal, but I don't think it'll stick. Charmin, thanks for that article--the idea behind the proposal is good, but I'm not sure about the details.

Sen Kirsten Gillibrand (N Y)--Kind of like her, but she strikes me as a bit too opportunistic; partly from the way she got her senate seat, to the way that she led the charge to force Al Franken out of the senate. Looks to see where the wind is blowing before taking action.

Sen Elizabeth Warren (Mass)--I like her, but not as a candidate. like Harris, strong and forceful, but the wow factor isn't there. A great policy wonk, though, which is something that a new democratic administration will desperately need.

Julian Castro (Fmr HUD secretary)--looks very good in comparison to the current HUD secretary, but that's about it.

Rep Tulsi Gabbard (Hawaii)--, uh, no.

John Delaney (Fmr MD congressman)- who?

Richard Orjeda (Fmr W V state senator) - who?

Mayor Pete Buttigieg (South Bend) -- the jokes just write themselves on this one.
Believe it or not, there is already a nascent birther movement fomenting over Sen. Harris's candidacy. Challenging that her Jamaican / Indian parents were not citizens when she was born. Or some other preposterous conspiracy theory.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Believe it or not, there is already a nascent birther movement fomenting over Sen. Harris's candidacy. Challenging that her Jamaican / Indian parents were not citizens when she was born. Or some other preposterous conspiracy theory.
It's strange. Ted Cruz was born in Canada but I don't remember them getting all upset about that. I wonder what Harris and Obama have in common? :conf3:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think it's fueled in part by Trump's idiotic remark about stripping citizenship from such persons by executive order. His core takes such nonsense literally. I guess maybe he thought that the "Trump Court" would change the law for him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.