Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Can you imagine if Obama had said he could change the second amendment by an executive order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obama was not as anti-second amendment as he was portrayed. He wanted to curtail certain parts of it but he never wanted to seize our guns.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's important to remember that birthright citizenship predates the 14th amendment and, indeed, even the constitution. AFAIK, it's universal among common law countries, as the SCOTUS pointed out in the case I cited above. The countries Trump cites are Roman or "Civil Law" countries...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
It's important to remember that birthright citizenship predates the 14th amendment and, indeed, even the constitution. AFAIK, it's universal among common law countries, as the SCOTUS pointed out in the case I cited above. The countries Trump cites are Roman or "Civil Law" countries...
For me I think its important to differentiate between different types of birthright citizenship. This is just one type:
While Trump rails against U.S.-born children of undocumented immigrants, his Florida properties have become a playground for birth tourists from Russia’s upper crust. The Daily Beast has discovered several companies are advertising rentals in Trump properties to expectant Russian parents. While the Trump Organization does not directly profit from subleases of privately owned condos, it does benefit from Russian patronage of the nearby Trump International Beach Resort. (The Trump Organization did not return requests comment.)
Many of the companies that cater to Russian birth tourists advertise their services openly and warn no one will get in trouble as long as they don’t lie on immigration paperwork.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/russians-flock-to-trump-properties-to-give-birth-to-us-citizens

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I think she has lost the support of the Democratic party to the extent she would have to drop out of the primaries pretty early.
Too much of the party has signaled that they're ready for new blood; however, that doesn't mean that she doesn't still have enough sway to drag the party down with her...again. On a broader level, the people who were dumb enough to be swayed by all the false equivalencies and blatant lies have not gotten any smarter in the past two years.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's Still Bernie - Amber Frost (Warning this has some language but I think the assessment of this weak pool of Dem candidates is frank and accurate)

Barack Obama was the very last “horoscope candidate” — a politician who manages to speak so vaguely that his platform could mean anything to anyone. It’s not going to work this time around; the Democratic Party is not going to be able trick people into believing that Liz Warren is a social democrat. Ditto for Kamala “Cop” Harris, a woman whose duplicitous record as a prosecutor includes the defense of the death penalty, three strikes laws, and the imprisonment of single mothers for the truancy of their children. You really think you can convince anyone that Kamala Harris is a woman of the people? Sherrod Brown has gone all in with Russiagate hysteria (also he signs his tweets). And before you even think of it, don’t even bother with Beto, who is to the right of all of the aforementioned, and votes to the right of the median Democrat.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
What I'll add, I don't know if I agree with her assertion that Bernie is the only hope. I happen to think, with how Trump's presidency is going, that Elizabeth Warren is the only candidate that is weak to Trump. She's too much of a nerd. While I agree with her sentiment that financial regulation missteps helped erode the middle class, it is but one of several attacks to middle class prosperity and everyone who has been affected by these circumstances is aware of it. Financial wonk stuff is like the birth control glasses they hand out in basic combat training. It is not going to rally the masses. You need to be talking about base income, minimum wages, free trade agreements that sell out american labor for pacific asiatic exploitation labor, and the general social safety net. The DNP wishes Warren could gain traction in the growing SocDem caucus in their big tent but it ain't happening. Compassionate capitalism as Warren likes to talk about rings hallow with mostly everyone but those already comfortable in the current social arrangement.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
By the time the next Presidential election gets here, only the most dug in Trumpers will be able to ignore what it referred to in the linked article as "Russiagate hysteria."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Schultz would assure Trump's victory more like than his defeat. Centrist liberals by hook or by crook will always choose fascism over progressive leftist policies. Schultz is the out to basically vote hard-right without actually doing it. Enough of those types are spooked by the apparent pull leftward on the DNP that I imagine he'd get that a few percentages points in states that makes a difference.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Schultz would assure Trump's victory more like than his defeat. Centrist liberals by hook or by crook will always choose fascism over progressive leftist policies. Schultz is the out to basically vote hard-right without actually doing it. Enough of those types are spooked by the apparent pull leftward on the DNP that I imagine he'd get that a few percentages points in states that makes a difference.
Schultz ain’t as far left as he’s being portrayed; you simply can’t be far left if youre not for universal healthcare/Medicare for all.
That’s practically a requirement.
And of course, the elephant in the room: how long Trump remains in office this term. His completion of it, right now, is no better than 50/50 IMO. Who else do the Republicans have? Pence? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Schultz ain’t as far left as he’s being portrayed; you simply can’t be far left if youre not for universal healthcare/Medicare for all.

But he owns that libtard loving Starbucks. But they did get in trouble for not letting blacks hang out. So he could appeal to the MAGA racists out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
And of course, the elephant in the room: how long Trump remains in office this term. His completion of it, right now, is no better than 50/50 IMO. Who else do the Republicans have? Pence? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I know, he's a "neoliberal" as the cool kids say. He's basically this famous tweet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.