Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I found this interesting...

Ta-Nehisi Coates Revisits the Case for Reparations

[FONT=&quot]Are there candidates that you take more seriously than others when they talk about reparations?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Yeah, I think Elizabeth Warren is probably serious.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In what way?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I think she means it. I mean—I guess it will break a little news—after “The Case for Reparations” came out, she just asked me to come and talk one on one with her about it.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is five years ago, when your piece came out in The Atlantic?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yeah, maybe it was a little later than that, but it was about the time. It was well before she declared anything about running for President.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And what was your conversation with Elizabeth Warren like?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]She had read it. She was deeply serious, and she had questions. And it wasn’t, like, Will you do X, Y, and Z for me? It wasn’t, like, I’m trying to demonstrate I’m serious. I have not heard from her since, either, by the way.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Have you talked to any candidates about it?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No.[/FONT]

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I remember the last time this reparations thing went around. A certain segment of the local African-American population was firmly convinced that the reparations check was going to arrive any day...
Yea, I seriously doubt that ever happens. I do hope we eventually have some form of reparations though.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I have reservations about Buttigieg and Warren but they’re not appalling like Joe Biden. It’s like people forgot the Diamond Joe Biden onion satire was satire.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
So Bernie has now announced his plan to eliminate all student loan debt -- totaling $1.6 trillion -- in what would be the biggest economic stimulus the country has probably ever seen. It's something that might have seemed laughable in its scope... until the GOP gave $1.5 trillion to rich people.

The problem I see is how this applies going forward. Bernie quotes the cost of debt today, but what about the student debt of tomorrow? Is that forgiven too? How much does this cost in perpetuity? And who benefits the most from this kind of universal forgiveness?

As someone who has 6-figure student loan debt, this plan would greatly benefit me. But I think plans like Warren's -- graduated loan forgiveness based on income -- are much more reasonable. And the bare minimum reform that anyone should make, IMO, is to reduce the federal student loan interest rate to 0% and deduct all prior interest payments from your principle. The interest rate on my loans is 7%. Prior to this year, I'd made $40k in payments on my loans, but my interest had accrued $45k. That is absurd. I'm not on board with the notion that higher education should be free, but society benefits from an educated populace, and the government should not act as a predatory lender. It should facilitate education without punishing students afterward, and that's not the structure we have right now.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So Bernie has now announced his plan to eliminate all student loan debt -- totaling $1.6 trillion -- in what would be the biggest economic stimulus the country has probably ever seen. It's something that might have seemed laughable in its scope... until the GOP gave $1.5 trillion to rich people.

The problem I see is how this applies going forward. Bernie quotes the cost of debt today, but what about the student debt of tomorrow? Is that forgiven too? How much does this cost in perpetuity? And who benefits the most from this kind of universal forgiveness?

As someone who has 6-figure student loan debt, this plan would greatly benefit me. But I think plans like Warren's -- graduated loan forgiveness based on income -- are much more reasonable. And the bare minimum reform that anyone should make, IMO, is to reduce the federal student loan interest rate to 0% and deduct all prior interest payments from your principle. The interest rate on my loans is 7%. Prior to this year, I'd made $40k in payments on my loans, but my interest had accrued $45k. That is absurd. I'm not on board with the notion that higher education should be free, but society benefits from an educated populace, and the government should not act as a predatory lender. It should facilitate education without punishing students afterward, and that's not the structure we have right now.
i think this should be done in conjunction with some sort of policy to begin reducing costs of higher education. i'm with you, it shouldn't be free, but the costs nowadays are absurd.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

They could even begin with following the law on loan forgiveness for those in public service and stop trying to do away with that too. The system in place now is not sustainable or suitable.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
They could even begin with following the law on loan forgiveness for those in public service and stop trying to do away with that too. The system in place now is not sustainable or suitable.
Absolutely. I actually think the PSLF program should be expanded so everyone in any discipline can apply. One reason I chose to make less money working at an academic hospital instead of private practice is because of that program. If it didn't exist, financial realities would keep me (and many others) from being a part-time teacher.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
i think this should be done in conjunction with some sort of policy to begin reducing costs of higher education. i'm with you, it shouldn't be free, but the costs nowadays are absurd.
Yup. Bernie's plan is a give-away to universities, who would be free to raise tuition as high as they like, knowing that the government would cover it. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt -- maybe he plans to address that as well and just wants all these headlines today. I'm sure it'll come up in the debates.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I completely agree. I owed roughly $50,000 in student loans after graduating dental school in 1980 and had held a janitorial job the whole time I was in school. I was able to pay it off in 10 years but was still buried under a mountain of debt from business loans so there was no relief. Many of my colleagues had the same experience. There should be zero interest on a student loan.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Regarding student loans. When they made it so that you can't file bankruptcy for student loan debt, it essentially turned young, often financially stupid kids into piggy banks for private lenders. I don't have a problem with student loans but there is no longer any risk that the banks have to assume for giving out loans. It may not be a popular opinion, but 40K for cosmetology school, or underwater basket weaving are just not sound investments from a banks perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.