Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Powerful video. This guy is eminently more qualified than tha “draft dodger commander in chief.”
Calling him a clown seems a little harsh to me, but that's just my opinion. I seem to remember he was against Pelosi becoming the Speaker the second time, although I'm not certain about that.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Calling him a clown seems a little harsh to me, but that's just my opinion. I seem to remember he was against Pelosi becoming the Speaker the second time, although I'm not certain about that.
I don’t think anyone was trying to call him a clown, just a reference to the crowded Democratic field as a “clown bus”. The Republicans were called the same thing in 2016.

Seems like a solid guy. I would have some concerns about a guy with PTSD as president. But it would be better than having one suffering from bone spurs. Those seem to cause serious psychological problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Yes, he was but there's a catch.

I don't know him, but I DO know (and have for years) one of his (not wanting to tip my hand here).....people who knew him growing up, a Republican, in fact, who heartily endorsed his candidacy for House in the first place.

Like most folks who go into politics, he was one thing - and then became an opportunistic pathogen and "forgot where he came from."

As far as the "clown" reference, I'm only referring to the Clown Bus of candidates that are running for the Dems this go around. Keep in mind, I consider the chief clown of all to be the Orange-Haired freak. Whether Moulton personally is a clown, who knows? I'm sure he's more of an adult than the current leader.

Besides, anyone trying the old "but he served in the military" card is about 70 years behind the times, especially if they did not vote for John McCain, which proves "his military service" doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.

And yes, Moulton is more qualified to be CinC than Trump but then again, so did National Guard matinee idol Dan Quayle. I'm reminded of what Limbaugh said about Obama that can be modified slightly and applies to Trump: "in any room where there are two people, he's the most unqualified person in the room."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don’t think anyone was trying to call him a clown, just a reference to the crowded Democratic field as a “clown bus”. The Republicans were called the same thing in 2016.

Seems like a solid guy. I would have some concerns about a guy with PTSD as president. But it would be better than having one suffering from bone spurs. Those seem to cause serious psychological problems.

Yeah, that's all I was saying.

It wasn't meant to be taken literally.

And yes, Moulton would still be more qualified than Trump in a two-person race.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Time for the 25th amendment. Pence may be dumb and misguided, but he's not crazy...
The GOP has been terrified of Trump from day one - terrified that the bully actually would enter the race and throw the election to Hillary.

They have refused repeatedly to stand up to him, so I don't see this now.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I ran across a tweet about a potential Warren & Trump debate...

The first time Trump calls her Pocahontas in a debate, Warren could tell him "Mr. President, I'm doing my best to resist my impulse to scalp you...if ever anybody needed scalping... but I'm trying to control myself. I suggest you not provoke me. And if you pull that stunt of standing right behind me as I try to answer questions, I will make you regret it."
Warren, asked how she can stand up to Trump: “I know how to fight and I know how to win. Nobody’s getting behind me on a debate stage and doing a handsy thing.”

“It’s not enough to be Not Trump. A country that elects Donald Trump is a country in serious trouble.”

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
538 Iowa analysis shows the narrative that Sanders would've carried (and thus can carry) the midwest is dubious at best. White midwestern voters prefer (1) Warren, followed closely by (2) Harris and Buttigieg. Since these are supposed to be "his" people, that's a bad sign for Bernie.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/joe-biden-has-an-iowa-problem-not-an-enthusiasm-problem/
What is the saying? "Iowa picks corn while New Hampshire picks Presidents". The thing with the midwest is mostly what one considers the midwest. Do you consider everything north of oklahoma, everything west of illinois, and everything east of Utah? or do you lump illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Missouri, and Michigan in there too? Alot of Bernie fanatics keep on saying he does well in the MW because of his Iowa, Nebraska, and Colorado numbers, but fail to realize that the MW as a whole is far more centrist than leftist. Strong numbers in a small region of small states dont negate delegates won in Milwaulkee, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, St Louis, and Kansas City who vote far more like the Southeast and Northeast than they do like the Pacific West.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
What is the saying? "Iowa picks corn while New Hampshire picks Presidents". The thing with the midwest is mostly what one considers the midwest. Do you consider everything north of oklahoma, everything west of illinois, and everything east of Utah? or do you lump illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Missouri, and Michigan in there too? Alot of Bernie fanatics keep on saying he does well in the MW because of his Iowa, Nebraska, and Colorado numbers, but fail to realize that the MW as a whole is far more centrist than leftist. Strong numbers in a small region of small states dont negate delegates won in Milwaulkee, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, St Louis, and Kansas City who vote far more like the Southeast and Northeast than they do like the Pacific West.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here is the reason progressives and Bernites should just toss the MW strategy. In an one on one primary like 2016, with two political polar opposites (in terms of party), you should run away with the regions you are said to be strong in.

While 7 to 5 looks great, you have to look at two things.

1) this isn't the EC, this is the primary voting process in which winning is based on delegates, and delegates won is determined by population and percentage of the votes. Point is Sanders won 38 delegates in Nebraska and Kansas combined for taking nearly 65% of the vote, but Clinton taking just Alabama gave her 53. If you really want to see how worthless this strategy is, Bernie took 415 delegates from the Midwest (22% of his entire delegate count) while Hillary took 141 delegates from Florida (5% of her entire delegate count) for taking 64% of the vote. Basically Hillary was losing by 1-2 percent in most of MW losses in highly populated areas and just trouncing him in the SE, MATL, Texas, and much of the NE.

2) any advantage the progressives seem to have in the MW is going to be split between Sanders and Warren, while establishment candidates are probably going to get the numbers they expect.

More or less to win, Sanders is going to have to stop acting like the MW is this valuable item just because Nebraska and Kansas people believe he is the smartest guy on the planet.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Bernie did well in IA and NE because those were caucus states.

The caucuses are the most undemocratic process I can think of....save for the Electoral College.

I participated in the NE caucuses and my impression was that it's organized chaos. Far from being anything close to a democratic process. Just a bunch of yelling and rabble-rousing. Most people in NE didn't understand the process, and stayed home. Which left room for the Free Stuffers to drown out any semblance of a free and fair assembly.

NE dropped the caucuses for 2020. Thank Allah.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Booker appears ready to pull the plug if he doesn’t get a bunch of money soon.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
At this point the race is Biden v. Sanders v. Warren with Biden really only persisting because the money wants him around. He's been dropping like a rock since debates started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.