News Article: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard About
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    8,451

    Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard About

    Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico for Health Care — the Human Caravan You Haven’t Heard About

    At just one checkpoint in Yuma, Arizona, up to 6,000 Americans cross the border every day and enter the bustling Mexican town of Los Algodones, seeking heath care.

    Unlike the Trump administration that seeks to build a wall between the countries, Los Algodones welcomes Americans seeking dental care with open arms.

    Los Algodones has to be seen to believed. There are more dentists per capita than anywhere else in the world. It seems like every square foot of public space wall is covered with advertisements promising quality and affordable dental care, vision care and prescription drugs. The community’s economy is built to serve the flood of “dental refugees” — mostly senior citizens from the US and Canada seeking major dental care they cannot afford in their own countries, even with insurance.

    ....

    If you casually compare the magnitude of border crossings, the crisis of the US’s for-profit healthcare system becomes apparent. According to US Customs and Border Protection, border crossings of Mexican and Central American refugees — the border crossings Trump and Fox News rage about 24/7 — ranged from 20,000 to roughly 60,000 people per month in 2018. In Los Algodones alone, nearly five times as many American dental refugees are going the opposite way. To get an idea of the absurdity, one could argue there are more people currently fleeing the US’s health care system than refugees seeking asylum from extreme violence and state terror in Central America.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,225

    Re: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard Ab

    Even a casual observer here over the last fifty years could see the inevitable decline in the standard of living for the majority of Americans. We have sort of been like the frog in the proverbial pot of boiling water as the decline has been imperceptible to many of us. We could spend days discussing all of the root causes of the decline and the fact that easy money policies and government borrowing has made it less obvious to the middle class.

    The question has to be what happens when money is no longer "easy" and the federal government has leveraged itself to the max to a point that it can no longer be the economic engine that keeps the economy afloat.

  4. #3
    BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
    Posts
    490

    Re: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard Ab

    I have heard nice things about retiring in San Miguel de Allende. Looking seriously at retiring outside the US. Algarve region of Portugal looks great, too.

  5. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    9,266

    Re: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard Ab

    Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    I have heard nice things about retiring in San Miguel de Allende. Looking seriously at retiring outside the US. Algarve region of Portugal looks great, too.
    Algarve gets very hot, but it’s nice (from info I’ve been reading from expats).
    Panama is still on our bucket list. Costa Rica is still an option.
    Just can’t check out these other places soon enough, but we still have at least two years until wife can retire anyway.
    Country would have to do a 180 for me to stay.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

  6. #5
    BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
    Posts
    490

    Re: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard Ab

    Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Algarve gets very hot, but it’s nice (from info I’ve been reading from expats).
    Panama is still on our bucket list. Costa Rica is still an option.
    Just can’t check out these other places soon enough, but we still have at least two years until wife can retire anyway.
    Country would have to do a 180 for me to stay.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Average highs in Summer in Algarve.....mid 90s July & August. Doesn't sound too bad. Here in NE, it gets that hot or even hotter. Maybe their humidity is high, too. Mississippi was horrendous during Summer.

  7. #6
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Atlanta 'Burbs
    Posts
    10,446

    Re: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard Ab


    I had to do some pretty extensive dental work a few years ago for both my wife and I. I looked into this as I was at a startup at the time with very high deductible insurance. Changed jobs so I didn't need to do it but I would seriously consider it again. Prices for what I needed from extremely well reviewed Dentists even with airfare and lodging was 1/5th the cost of here and well under my deductible
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

  8. #7
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    9,266

    Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard About

    Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    Average highs in Summer in Algarve.....mid 90s July & August. Doesn't sound too bad. Here in NE, it gets that hot or even hotter. Maybe their humidity is high, too. Mississippi was horrendous during Summer.
    They just had a heat wave in southern Algarve last year - temps were north of 100 for several days.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by twofbyc; January 25th, 2019 at 08:08 AM.
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

  9. #8
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    9,266

    Re: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard Ab

    Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    Average highs in Summer in Algarve.....mid 90s July & August. Doesn't sound too bad. Here in NE, it gets that hot or even hotter. Maybe their humidity is high, too. Mississippi was horrendous during Summer.
    I live outside Mobile - we don’t have “average” temps in the mid -90’s. That’s plenty hot for an “average”.
    When it does hit upper 90’s here it’s scorching - fortunately it’s been no more than four or five times a summer lately.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

  10. #9
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Shiner, TX
    Posts
    23,292

    Re: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard Ab

    Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    I live outside Mobile - we don’t have “average” temps in the mid -90’s. That’s plenty hot for an “average”.
    When it does hit upper 90’s here it’s scorching - fortunately it’s been no more than four or five times a summer lately.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I grew up in west Mobile. Graduated from Shaw. Where do you live? Semmes, Saraland or across the bay?

  11. #10
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Shiner, TX
    Posts
    23,292

    Re: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard Ab

    Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    Even a casual observer here over the last fifty years could see the inevitable decline in the standard of living for the majority of Americans. We have sort of been like the frog in the proverbial pot of boiling water as the decline has been imperceptible to many of us. We could spend days discussing all of the root causes of the decline and the fact that easy money policies and government borrowing has made it less obvious to the middle class.

    The question has to be what happens when money is no longer "easy" and the federal government has leveraged itself to the max to a point that it can no longer be the economic engine that keeps the economy afloat.
    $22T in debt and growing...But the bankers are fat & happy and that's all that matters.

  12. #11
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    9,266

    Re: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard Ab

    Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    I grew up in west Mobile. Graduated from Shaw. Where do you live? Semmes, Saraland or across the bay?
    Dawes - went to McGill, was born and raised at the Loop.
    Knew a lot of folks that went to John Shaw.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

  13. #12
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    61,743

    Re: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard Ab

    I've had friends and relatives go to Mexico for both medical and dental work. I'd have to say that the results have been a mixed bag - some very satisfied and some disastrous. Those who've followed my postings here know that my daughter and SIL emigrated to the French Alps and bought a restaurant. There were many factors involved, but the idea of living in Trump's America was certainly part of it.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    “I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  14. #13
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    9,266

    Re: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard Ab

    I’d go to other countries for major surgeries, but dental/drug/common medical procedures can be satisfactorily obtained in Mexico, though I’d definitely research first. (Having a brother in Encinitas helps).


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar