News Article: Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico — the Human Caravan You Haven't Heard About

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico for Health Care — the Human Caravan You Haven’t Heard About

At just one checkpoint in Yuma, Arizona, up to 6,000 Americans cross the border every day and enter the bustling Mexican town of Los Algodones, seeking heath care.

Unlike the Trump administration that seeks to build a wall between the countries, Los Algodones welcomes Americans seeking dental care with open arms.

Los Algodones has to be seen to believed. There are more dentists per capita than anywhere else in the world. It seems like every square foot of public space wall is covered with advertisements promising quality and affordable dental care, vision care and prescription drugs. The community’s economy is built to serve the flood of “dental refugees” — mostly senior citizens from the US and Canada seeking major dental care they cannot afford in their own countries, even with insurance.

If you casually compare the magnitude of border crossings, the crisis of the US’s for-profit healthcare system becomes apparent. According to US Customs and Border Protection, border crossings of Mexican and Central American refugees — the border crossings Trump and Fox News rage about 24/7 — ranged from 20,000 to roughly 60,000 people per month in 2018. In Los Algodones alone, nearly five times as many American dental refugees are going the opposite way. To get an idea of the absurdity, one could argue there are more people currently fleeing the US’s health care system than refugees seeking asylum from extreme violence and state terror in Central America.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Even a casual observer here over the last fifty years could see the inevitable decline in the standard of living for the majority of Americans. We have sort of been like the frog in the proverbial pot of boiling water as the decline has been imperceptible to many of us. We could spend days discussing all of the root causes of the decline and the fact that easy money policies and government borrowing has made it less obvious to the middle class.

The question has to be what happens when money is no longer "easy" and the federal government has leveraged itself to the max to a point that it can no longer be the economic engine that keeps the economy afloat.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I have heard nice things about retiring in San Miguel de Allende. Looking seriously at retiring outside the US. Algarve region of Portugal looks great, too.
Algarve gets very hot, but it’s nice (from info I’ve been reading from expats).
Panama is still on our bucket list. Costa Rica is still an option.
Just can’t check out these other places soon enough, but we still have at least two years until wife can retire anyway.
Country would have to do a 180 for me to stay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Algarve gets very hot, but it’s nice (from info I’ve been reading from expats).
Panama is still on our bucket list. Costa Rica is still an option.
Just can’t check out these other places soon enough, but we still have at least two years until wife can retire anyway.
Country would have to do a 180 for me to stay.

Average highs in Summer in Algarve.....mid 90s July & August. Doesn't sound too bad. Here in NE, it gets that hot or even hotter. Maybe their humidity is high, too. Mississippi was horrendous during Summer.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I had to do some pretty extensive dental work a few years ago for both my wife and I. I looked into this as I was at a startup at the time with very high deductible insurance. Changed jobs so I didn't need to do it but I would seriously consider it again. Prices for what I needed from extremely well reviewed Dentists even with airfare and lodging was 1/5th the cost of here and well under my deductible

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Average highs in Summer in Algarve.....mid 90s July & August. Doesn't sound too bad. Here in NE, it gets that hot or even hotter. Maybe their humidity is high, too. Mississippi was horrendous during Summer.
They just had a heat wave in southern Algarve last year - temps were north of 100 for several days.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I live outside Mobile - we don’t have “average” temps in the mid -90’s. That’s plenty hot for an “average”.
When it does hit upper 90’s here it’s scorching - fortunately it’s been no more than four or five times a summer lately.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I live outside Mobile - we don’t have “average” temps in the mid -90’s. That’s plenty hot for an “average”.
When it does hit upper 90’s here it’s scorching - fortunately it’s been no more than four or five times a summer lately.

I grew up in west Mobile. Graduated from Shaw. Where do you live? Semmes, Saraland or across the bay?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Even a casual observer here over the last fifty years could see the inevitable decline in the standard of living for the majority of Americans. We have sort of been like the frog in the proverbial pot of boiling water as the decline has been imperceptible to many of us. We could spend days discussing all of the root causes of the decline and the fact that easy money policies and government borrowing has made it less obvious to the middle class.

The question has to be what happens when money is no longer "easy" and the federal government has leveraged itself to the max to a point that it can no longer be the economic engine that keeps the economy afloat.
$22T in debt and growing...But the bankers are fat & happy and that's all that matters.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've had friends and relatives go to Mexico for both medical and dental work. I'd have to say that the results have been a mixed bag - some very satisfied and some disastrous. Those who've followed my postings here know that my daughter and SIL emigrated to the French Alps and bought a restaurant. There were many factors involved, but the idea of living in Trump's America was certainly part of it.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I’d go to other countries for major surgeries, but dental/drug/common medical procedures can be satisfactorily obtained in Mexico, though I’d definitely research first. (Having a brother in Encinitas helps).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.