I got an unsolicited offer of help from a stranger last night - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Third Team

Re: I got an unsolicited offer of help from a stranger last night

Bodhi. Thanks for sharing. And you are the Man. +1 on life points for being honest and being you. We should all try to handle similar circumstances the same way.

BamaNation All-American PacadermaTideUs's Avatar

Random acts of kindness are beautiful. Sometimes seems like they are in shorter supply these days - maybe not, but seems that way. In any case, they can have a huge impact for both giver and receiver, not explicitly in a material way. They reenforce a sense of community, togetherness, good will, optimism in these seemingly devisive and pessimistic times.

I still remember the first time it occurred to me around 2002 when I was in uniform going through a drive through after a long day. When I reached the window, the employee thanked me for my service and said the car ahead of me took care of the bill. Since then, Iíve tried to return the favor when I notice someone behind me in uniform.

Recently, the same thing happened to my wife, whoís never been in uniform. Apparently just a gesture of good will from a random stranger ahead of her in a drive through. She decided to pass it on to the car behind her, and took care of their bill.

Pay It Forward was a great movie. We really need more of that in the world.

Thanks Bodhi for sharing your experience and for handling it in an admirable way. Thanks also for your service.

FB|BB Moderator

I'm guessing the old guy noticed how you raise your children, but more importantly, how they act, especially when you're not there.

That's not in any way to say your neighbor is creepy. Just that he notices stuff, and admires the job you do as a parent. He asked a couple of questions, found out that you fit the profile of someone who might be in need, and thought you deserved a helping hand.

He paid you the highest compliment any human is capable of paying another.

Your co-workers, on the other hand.....I'd seriously consider finding another set. They are what's wrong with our society.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

First off, if you live in Ponte Vedra, you probably donít need the money. Second, if you live in Ponte Vedra, you can probably afford to give money away to someone needy!
    to 16 and beyond........

I don't frequent fast food places too much but do try doing things in grocery store checkout lines for others. Buy the cashier a candy bar or give them a piece of fruit (usually bananas) that I'm buying. If there's a person in line they get the same treatment. Last week a really nice older lady in front of me didn't have a discount card so I asked the cashier if she could use mine. Knocked off 11 dollars!

Random acts of kindness is something I hope we can all continue to do. We have to stick together.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I don't frequent fast food places too much but do try doing things in grocery store checkout lines for others. Buy the cashier a candy bar or give them a piece of fruit (usually bananas) that I'm buying. If there's a person in line they get the same treatment. Last week a really nice older lady in front of me didn't have a discount card so I asked the cashier if she could use mine. Knocked off 11 dollars!

Random acts of kindness is something I hope we can all continue to do. We have to stick together.....

To toot my own horn. We know this kid, he just turned 21 and grew up in a group home. Both parents died of drug problems . Me and Mrs Bamaga took the kid to the eye dr and bought him 2 pairs of glasses because we noticed he was wearing a pair of women’s glasses and wasn’t close to the right prescription. One pair for work, and one for home. Bought the kid a mountain bike to get back and forth to work as he wasn’t given the opportunity to learn to drive. I can’t believe some of these organizations don’t do more to prepare underprivileged kids with basic life skills. I know I hijacked this thread, but I’m a mean crotchety, unforgiving old man.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

And I thought all of those years of me never denying women my essence was giving enough. I really need to step up my game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Um, I not sure I'd call foisting your banana on an unsuspecting cashier in the middle of the grocery store a random act of kindness. In fact, I'm pretty sure that kind of strategy is frowned upon these days. Are you familiar with the MeToo movement?
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

I got an unsolicited offer of help from a stranger last night

Was she hot?