I got an unsolicited offer of help from a stranger last night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

I got an unsolicited offer of help from a stranger last night

So, this is pleasantly weird. As I was reviewing my daughter's homework last night there was a knock at the door. An elderly man asked me if I was in the military. He was concerned that I was furloughed and struggling with bills. He offered me an envelop. I thanked him several times and explained that I was not in the military but a civilian employee of the military, that I was not furloughed, and that I couldn't accept his gift (although I sincerely appreciated his kind offer). I am sure he can find someone who can use the assistance. Certainly not a typical event on a Thursday night. +1 for humanity.

I relayed this occurrence to my co-workers earlier this morning, and everyone asked how much money was in the envelop. I said I didn't know, but the envelop was thick. No one could understand why I didn't take the money. I said it was because I didn't qualify for the generosity the man was offering even if I was furloughed. Now people are acting like I'm stupid for not taking it. Jeezus, people! No way do I accept something I don't deserve. And especially not with my daughter right there. -1 for humanity.
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; January 25th, 2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: stray comma
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

2. Advertisement

Re: I got an unsolicited offer of help from a stranger last night

Thank you for being a decent human - unlike your co-workers, apparently.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

I am always impressed by the generosity some people have. I’m also never surprised at the levels of selfishness and greed that others are capable of reaching.

I also wouldn’t have been able to take the money and would have wanted someone that needed it more to get it.

BamaNation Second Team Bama Kid's Avatar

I don't post very often, but I regularly enjoy reading the boards. You are one of my favorite TideFans members. I always enjoy your posts and respect your opinion even if mine differs. It would be great if more people were willing to raise their children with the values you use to teach your own. Even though you would never accept the gift, folks like you actually do deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    I am always impressed by the generosity some people have. I’m also never surprised at the levels of selfishness and greed that others are capable of reaching.

I also wouldn’t have been able to take the money and would have wanted someone that needed it more to get it.
    Yeah, disappointing but not surprising. I wonder if it occurred to them that this gentleman surely has limited funds to assist others, and if they take what they don't need/deserve they are effectively stealing from a family that is hurting. Probably not. A lot of people aren't capable of thinking beyond their own selfishness.

One co-worker did say that the next person the guy offered the money to would take it even if it was not needed. I said that very well may be, but my conscience is clear and my daughter received reinforcement on what my wife and I have been teaching her.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Kid View Post
    I don't post very often, but I regularly enjoy reading the boards. You are one of my favorite TideFans members. I always enjoy your posts and respect your opinion even if mine differs. It would be great if more people were willing to raise their children with the values you use to teach your own. Even though you would never accept the gift, folks like you actually do deserve it.
    I appreciate the kind words. I just try to take pride in not needing help, help others where I can, do what is right, and raise my daughter the way my Mom raised me.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I relayed this occurrence to my co-workers earlier this morning, and everyone asked how much money was in the envelop. I said I didn't know, but the envelop was thick. No one could understand why I didn't take the money. I said it was because I didn't qualify for the generosity the man was offering even if I was furloughed. Now people are acting like I'm stupid for not taking it. Jeezus, people! No way do I accept something I don't deserve. And especially not with my daughter right there. -1 for humanity.
    Good job at being a decent human being. I was just talking with a co-worker about how hard it is to pass on that decency to your kids when they see plenty of people around them advance by not doing the right thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Kid View Post

BamaNation Second Team Bama Kid's Avatar

Or maybe...

That's a great story, Bodhi!

Nice for the teaching moment for your little girl, nice because you demonstrated you are a decent human, but the best part for me was the elderly man's concern and compassion for those who might be in need.

I wonder if there's still hope for civilisation yet....

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Hey Bodhi, I wonder why The Good Samaritan singled you out as someone who needed help?

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    Hey Bodhi, I wonder why The Good Samaritan singled you out as someone who needed help?

That's a good question. I was so caught off guard by the encounter that I missed asking the guy many questions. What is his name? Is he doing this on his own or is he with a group? And, most importantly, how did he end up at my door? I'm in an apartment at the moment until make wife makes the move down and we get a house. I don't have any identifying stickers on my car and don't advertise were I work in any other fashion. I'm guessing he lives in the same apartment complex or nearby and made inquiries with the management office. I'll try to check with them this weekend. I wouldn't think that information should be divulged, but that's the only thing I can think of. If that's the case, I'm not angry with the ladies at the office, but the visit was a bit weird. Nice, but weird.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Maybe he thinks you’re hawt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk