I got an unsolicited offer of help from a stranger last night

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
So, this is pleasantly weird. As I was reviewing my daughter's homework last night there was a knock at the door. An elderly man asked me if I was in the military. He was concerned that I was furloughed and struggling with bills. He offered me an envelop. I thanked him several times and explained that I was not in the military but a civilian employee of the military, that I was not furloughed, and that I couldn't accept his gift (although I sincerely appreciated his kind offer). I am sure he can find someone who can use the assistance. Certainly not a typical event on a Thursday night. +1 for humanity.

I relayed this occurrence to my co-workers earlier this morning, and everyone asked how much money was in the envelop. I said I didn't know, but the envelop was thick. No one could understand why I didn't take the money. I said it was because I didn't qualify for the generosity the man was offering even if I was furloughed. Now people are acting like I'm stupid for not taking it. Jeezus, people! No way do I accept something I don't deserve. And especially not with my daughter right there. -1 for humanity.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I am always impressed by the generosity some people have. I’m also never surprised at the levels of selfishness and greed that others are capable of reaching.

I also wouldn’t have been able to take the money and would have wanted someone that needed it more to get it.

Bama Kid

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 16, 2002
ATL Southside, GA
I don't post very often, but I regularly enjoy reading the boards. You are one of my favorite TideFans members. I always enjoy your posts and respect your opinion even if mine differs. It would be great if more people were willing to raise their children with the values you use to teach your own. Even though you would never accept the gift, folks like you actually do deserve it.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
I am always impressed by the generosity some people have. I’m also never surprised at the levels of selfishness and greed that others are capable of reaching.

I also wouldn’t have been able to take the money and would have wanted someone that needed it more to get it.
Yeah, disappointing but not surprising. I wonder if it occurred to them that this gentleman surely has limited funds to assist others, and if they take what they don't need/deserve they are effectively stealing from a family that is hurting. Probably not. A lot of people aren't capable of thinking beyond their own selfishness.

One co-worker did say that the next person the guy offered the money to would take it even if it was not needed. I said that very well may be, but my conscience is clear and my daughter received reinforcement on what my wife and I have been teaching her.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
I don't post very often, but I regularly enjoy reading the boards. You are one of my favorite TideFans members. I always enjoy your posts and respect your opinion even if mine differs. It would be great if more people were willing to raise their children with the values you use to teach your own. Even though you would never accept the gift, folks like you actually do deserve it.
I appreciate the kind words. I just try to take pride in not needing help, help others where I can, do what is right, and raise my daughter the way my Mom raised me.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I relayed this occurrence to my co-workers earlier this morning, and everyone asked how much money was in the envelop. I said I didn't know, but the envelop was thick. No one could understand why I didn't take the money. I said it was because I didn't qualify for the generosity the man was offering even if I was furloughed. Now people are acting like I'm stupid for not taking it. Jeezus, people! No way do I accept something I don't deserve. And especially not with my daughter right there. -1 for humanity.
Good job at being a decent human being. I was just talking with a co-worker about how hard it is to pass on that decency to your kids when they see plenty of people around them advance by not doing the right thing.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
That's a great story, Bodhi!

Nice for the teaching moment for your little girl, nice because you demonstrated you are a decent human, but the best part for me was the elderly man's concern and compassion for those who might be in need.

I wonder if there's still hope for civilisation yet....:rolleye2:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Hey Bodhi, I wonder why The Good Samaritan singled you out as someone who needed help?

:eek2::eek::wink:
That's a good question. I was so caught off guard by the encounter that I missed asking the guy many questions. What is his name? Is he doing this on his own or is he with a group? And, most importantly, how did he end up at my door? I'm in an apartment at the moment until make wife makes the move down and we get a house. I don't have any identifying stickers on my car and don't advertise were I work in any other fashion. I'm guessing he lives in the same apartment complex or nearby and made inquiries with the management office. I'll try to check with them this weekend. I wouldn't think that information should be divulged, but that's the only thing I can think of. If that's the case, I'm not angry with the ladies at the office, but the visit was a bit weird. Nice, but weird.

UAEE93

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 14, 2008
Bodhi. Thanks for sharing. And you are the Man. +1 on life points for being honest and being you. We should all try to handle similar circumstances the same way.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Random acts of kindness are beautiful. Sometimes seems like they are in shorter supply these days - maybe not, but seems that way. In any case, they can have a huge impact for both giver and receiver, not explicitly in a material way. They reenforce a sense of community, togetherness, good will, optimism in these seemingly devisive and pessimistic times.

I still remember the first time it occurred to me around 2002 when I was in uniform going through a drive through after a long day. When I reached the window, the employee thanked me for my service and said the car ahead of me took care of the bill. Since then, I’ve tried to return the favor when I notice someone behind me in uniform.

Recently, the same thing happened to my wife, who’s never been in uniform. Apparently just a gesture of good will from a random stranger ahead of her in a drive through. She decided to pass it on to the car behind her, and took care of their bill.

Pay It Forward was a great movie. We really need more of that in the world.

Thanks Bodhi for sharing your experience and for handling it in an admirable way. Thanks also for your service.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm guessing the old guy noticed how you raise your children, but more importantly, how they act, especially when you're not there.

That's not in any way to say your neighbor is creepy. Just that he notices stuff, and admires the job you do as a parent. He asked a couple of questions, found out that you fit the profile of someone who might be in need, and thought you deserved a helping hand.

He paid you the highest compliment any human is capable of paying another.

Your co-workers, on the other hand.....I'd seriously consider finding another set. They are what's wrong with our society.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
First off, if you live in Ponte Vedra, you probably don’t need the money. Second, if you live in Ponte Vedra, you can probably afford to give money away to someone needy! ;)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I don't frequent fast food places too much but do try doing things in grocery store checkout lines for others. Buy the cashier a candy bar or give them a piece of fruit (usually bananas) that I'm buying. If there's a person in line they get the same treatment. Last week a really nice older lady in front of me didn't have a discount card so I asked the cashier if she could use mine. Knocked off 11 dollars!

Random acts of kindness is something I hope we can all continue to do. We have to stick together.....

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I don't frequent fast food places too much but do try doing things in grocery store checkout lines for others. Buy the cashier a candy bar or give them a piece of fruit (usually bananas) that I'm buying. If there's a person in line they get the same treatment. Last week a really nice older lady in front of me didn't have a discount card so I asked the cashier if she could use mine. Knocked off 11 dollars!

Random acts of kindness is something I hope we can all continue to do. We have to stick together.....

To toot my own horn. We know this kid, he just turned 21 and grew up in a group home. Both parents died of drug problems . Me and Mrs Bamaga took the kid to the eye dr and bought him 2 pairs of glasses because we noticed he was wearing a pair of women’s glasses and wasn’t close to the right prescription. One pair for work, and one for home. Bought the kid a mountain bike to get back and forth to work as he wasn’t given the opportunity to learn to drive. I can’t believe some of these organizations don’t do more to prepare underprivileged kids with basic life skills. I know I hijacked this thread, but I’m a mean crotchety, unforgiving old man.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

And I thought all of those years of me never denying women my essence was giving enough. I really need to step up my game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.