Game Thread: Bama @ Baylor (11 am tip)

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
No awful losses? What do you consider an 18 point loss to Northeastern or the loss at home to a really bad Aggie team? Or blowing a 20 point lead at home to Georgia State? Those are all bad losses.
I can’t comment on the game. Got stuck renovating a couple of rooms this weekend, so I didn’t have time to watch. I will say though that way too many people on here can’t separate the football mentality of losing a game from the reality of basketball. In basketball, one game’s result doesn’t matter, it’s all about the bigger picture of the season.

Winning today would have been huge for our tournament chances, but the loss isn’t devastating. We lost on the road to a quality team. It won’t be held against us in March.

Undoubtedly we’ve got a tough row to hoe, but the tourney is still within reach. We’re 12-7 with no awful losses. We’ve got 12 to go, which in reality we really need to win 8-9 to have a shot at getting in. Of those 12 games, 5 are ranked opponents. So there’s still plenty of time to impress the committee.

Things don’t look good at the moment, but it’s not time to trash the team yet. We’re riding our hottest streak of the season, and we stack up well talent-wise with anyone in the conference. It’s all a matter of who shows up to win each night. Hopefully today’s disappointment will light a fire to carry the team through the next dozen games.

RTR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
No awful losses? What do you consider an 18 point loss to Northeastern or the loss at home to a really bad Aggie team? Or blowing a 20 point lead at home to Georgia State? Those are all bad losses.
A&M I’ll give you. Northeastern and GA St are both top 3 in their respective conferences with veteran laden teams. Both have legitimate shots as tournament teams. Therefore it’s not an awful loss. Neither one will be looked at favorably by the committee, but they aren’t damning if both win their conferences.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I jumped back in and watched the game late this afternoon on DVR.

Thought we outplayed them for 36 of the 40 minutes. The last two minutes of the two halves were the difference.

My estimation of this team is: as John Petty goes, so we go. We were fortunate Riley shows up with a hot hand or this would have been worse.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Case in point for some of our frustration with the officials - Bama had 48 points in the paint yet Baylor only had three or four fouls that led to free throws.

Many times people have said Alabama needs to attack the basket in order to get to the line. When a team makes 24 shots inside the paint, should there not be more free throw attempts? It only seems logical.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Case in point for some of our frustration with the officials - Bama had 48 points in the paint yet Baylor only had three or four fouls that led to free throws.

Many times people have said Alabama needs to attack the basket in order to get to the line. When a team makes 24 shots inside the paint, should there not be more free throw attempts? It only seems logical.
Devils advocate, but Baylor pretty much gave us wide open, uncontested looks at the high post. We pretty much shot wide open 12-15 footers all day.

Yes, I'm sure they missed a few, but the officials aren't why we lost again in a close game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Devils advocate, but Baylor pretty much gave us wide open, uncontested looks at the high post. We pretty much shot wide open 12-15 footers all day.

Yes, I'm sure they missed a few, but the officials aren't why we lost again in a close game.
Not saying the loss was because of the officials. They were a factor, though.

Alabama shot 40 FGs inside the arc and made 24 inside the paint against a team that ran a zone defense. Even with some wide open looks, are we really to believe only three fouls were committed during shot attempts?

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Not saying the loss was because of the officials. They were a factor, though.

Alabama shot 40 FGs inside the arc and made 24 inside the paint against a team that ran a zone defense. Even with some wide open looks, are we really to believe only three fouls were committed during shot attempts?

You only need to watch with your eyes to see the non calls and fathom calls go against us.

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham
I don’t care how long you’ve been a fan. As dayhiker said, no one likes a person that only comes by to whine after a loss.

You didn’t care to drop by any other time in the last two months to discuss wins or losses?

I didn't realize I had to be in a special club to make a comment. I have followed every game not just this year but forever. Sorry I posted.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I didn't realize I had to be in a special club to make a comment. I have followed every game not just this year but forever. Sorry I posted.
There’s no “special club.” Some of us don’t care when people that say they love Bama basketball only seem to care when they have something negative to say but don’t come by any other time.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Really needed a win here, but it is not the end of the world. This probably does take us out of the category of "last 4 in" and puts us in the "last 4 out". We need to steal a few wins in conference play. The team seems to be all over the place with consistency.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Played will except giving up 16 offensive rebounds and second chance points. It cost them the game. Rebounding is about effort and positioning. And Baylor only had one player taller than 6-7.
Yes, I did not realize that they (Baylor) had as many offensive rebounds as they did. Chris (top of the board) pointed that out and no doubt that was a major factor. I still hope the Tide can gather themselves and close out strong. We missed Petty's contribution on both ends and need H Jones to contribute.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
We played well but definitely didn't play with the same kind of intensity we had vs Ole Miss. That may have something to do with the morning tip (which is ridiculous) or travel problems. In order to get a win on the road against a good team, you have to really sell out to scramble and get those defensive rebounds.

Just checked warrennolan.com. We have a NET Ranking of 43 and 36 RPI. 19th strength of schedule. So we are right there. I feel we have to beat Vandy twice, UGA, Florida, Texas A&M, and Arkansas. Split the other 6 games vs Auburn (2), MSU (2), LSU, and South Carolina. That would give us 21-10 record going into SEC Tournament.

Last edited:

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
We played well but definitely didn't play with the same kind of intensity we had vs Ole Miss. That may have something to do with the morning tip (which is ridiculous) or travel problems. In order to get a win on the road against a good team, you have to really sell out to scramble and get those defensive rebounds.

Just checked warrennolan.com. We have a NET Ranking of 43 and 36 RPI. 19th strength of schedule. So we are right there. I feel we have to beat Vandy twice, UGA, Florida, Texas A&M, and Arkansas. Split the other 6 games vs Auburn (2), MSU (2), LSU, and South Carolina. That would give us 21-10 record going into SEC Tournament.
If we finish 21-10, with our schedule, we are a virtual lock for the dance. I personally think 19-12 will do it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.