Well, Has CNS Started on the Clemson Game Plan Yet ??

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Just kidding ( but only a little ! )! Wouldn`t surprise me at all, however, if the staff paid a little " extra attention " to how/what they`re doing as this coming season roles along. :wink: Fine by me if they do. We won`t and shouldn`t, forget what happened.
Clemson has a 1 game season this year.

I can promise you they're already game planning on Alabama.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
people are already calling our schedule SAWFT

yet somehow we always end up playing the most top 25 teams of anybody in the playoff hunt each year.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

yet somehow we always end up playing the most top 25 teams of anybody in the playoff hunt each year.
I have always agreed that playing in the SEC West put Alabama in a tough position relative to the SEC East and obviously the ACC and Big 12. Then Alabama was handed the most difficult playoff schedule of any team this year. Attempting to look at schedules objectively for 2019 however Alabama appears to have a schedule advantage in an out of the SEC with the exception of Clemson of course who plays A&M as the only game that should be a contest.

This is a playlist going through an analysis of top 25 schedules for 2019. I was surprised by the toughness of some of the SEC schedules with crossover games and non-conference opponents.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Alabama needs to focus on developing the players and their fundamental skills upcoming spring. That was something that was largely noticed as the season went on. Develop the depth on defense and we'll be fine. We will see a huge difference in the team between now and the fall camp.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Unless Alabama played some week-to-week schedule of whoever the rest of the nation thinks is the best team at the moment, the schedule will always be soft.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I do think that game film is going to be used extensively from that game, for each opponent prep this season. Not each game reviewing Clemson tape to prepare for, but the things we learned about ourselves from that will be used to prepare better for each game this season. We won't have to overcome as much against most opponents, because most of them aren't anywhere near that level of talent. 12 games to prep for in 2019, maybe 2 of those schools have as much talent in key places (LSU, maybe aTm). Everyone else pales in comparison, and Clemson would beat the brakes off of them. I do expect we will play either Georgia or Florida this year, as well, and they compare favorably to Clemson. Then, a playoff game, if we are lucky, against Clemson and someone else.

I truly hope it's not Oklahoma this season. It's not that I think it's a loss for Alabama, but it's a lot of emotion to deal with, and playing them in a semi or in the final just screams of distractions. We aren't usually a distracted team; coach Saban does an excellent job managing that. But, we do get complacent, and that's the kind of team a Jalen Hurts level of talent can pick apart.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Aside from a mjor letdown game (which can definitely happen, as we know), the only team that scares me prior to playoff if UGA. LSU and ATM slightly but not really. Auburn seems like they can’t do it but you never know. Same with UT. All in all it is one of the easier schedules weve had under Saban, it seems. It’s not soft but not a murderers row either.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The OP asks an interesting question, though I think alternative wording might capture the central point.

The question isn't about Clemson. The question is about how we plan for teams whose talent level is not totally outclassed by ours.

There aren't many of those teams. Clemson is one. LSU is another. aTm is closing fast. OSU is there under Meyer, as is UGA with the maturing of their 2016 class, and an other-worldly 2017 haul. For a while, UTw looked like it was headed that direction. I'm not so sure now.

Our talent level is such that a mediocre coaching staff could get 10 wins. But to win a game that matters, players and coaches actually have to work, both individually and as a unit.

So Saban isn't game-planning to beat Clemson per se. And he is focusing on us, not the opponent.

I'd bet a lot of money that he is, however, making the changes necessary to beat the few teams we can't simply bludgeon with pure athletic talent.

He is neither abandoning his own basic tenets, nor ignoring the lessons of the CFPNCG. He's yet again proving why he's the best that's ever been.

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
The game may have helped a lot of our future opponents start on their Bama Game Plan. If I were Coach Saban I'd expect to see a lot of "Copycat" things that Clemson was doing from our opponents next season. Fortunately they don't have a Lawrence type QB. I suppose UGA's Fromm comes closest.

Striker

Oct 10, 2017
Haha! But for real, it’s just my opinion but Clemson prepping for us alone was not why we lost that game. It certainly didn’t hurt but there was simply something off with the team last year. Their focus was sketch and a train wreck was bound to happen. It was inevitable.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Best offense in the history of Alabama football. We played one bad game at a really unfortunate time...I for one do NOT believe that a train wreck was inevitable. RTR!!!
Haha! But for real, it’s just my opinion but Clemson prepping for us alone was not why we lost that game. It certainly didn’t hurt but there was simply something off with the team last year. Their focus was sketch and a train wreck was bound to happen. It was inevitable.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Best offense in the history of Alabama football. We played one bad game at a really unfortunate time...I for one do NOT believe that a train wreck was inevitable. RTR!!!
I thought we looked absolutely unbeatable—until the LSU game. The cracks began to show after that. I’ll always think that injuries and poor linebacker play were the main reasons we did not win it all in 2018.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think there's too much being made of this loss and too much being made of the win. There was so much national angst and fatigue built up against Alabama that the result of the game has created this enormous sigh of relief. As if it were like the ending to a movie and the credits rolled and it was over. Everyone can now go home, please put your empty popcorn boxes and soft drink cups in the garbage on your way out. However, the reality of it is, Alabama is returning what should be a better team in 2019. Herbstreit even mentioned several times toward the end of the title game. I would venture to say even Dabo knows what Bama's returning. He admitted to telling CNS after the game "See you next year". Trust me, he knows what Bama has recruited and what Bama has coming back. He also knows what he's losing.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I think there's too much being made of this loss and too much being made of the win. There was so much national angst and fatigue built up against Alabama that the result of the game has created this enormous sigh of relief. As if it were like the ending to a movie and the credits rolled and it was over. Everyone can now go home, please put your empty popcorn boxes and soft drink cups in the garbage on your way out. However, the reality of it is, Alabama is returning what should be a better team in 2019. Herbstreit even mentioned several times toward the end of the title game. I would venture to say even Dabo knows what Bama's returning. He admitted to telling CNS after the game "See you next year". Trust me, he knows what Bama has recruited and what Bama has coming back. He also knows what he's losing.
And I hope that if Bama faces him again, they crush him

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
He admitted to telling CNS after the game "See you next year".
That comment makes some good bulletin board material for Clemson's ACC opponents as it appears that Dabo thinks he can once again breeze through the ACC schedule next season unscathed. That could very well happen but it might make it a little harder when Dabo gives his own players a little bit of "Rat Poison". I don't think Coach Saban would ever make such a comment.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
That comment makes some good bulletin board material for Clemson's ACC opponents as it appears that Dabo thinks he can once again breeze through the ACC schedule next season unscathed. That could very well happen but it might make it a little harder when Dabo gives his own players a little bit of "Rat Poison". I don't think Coach Saban would ever make such a comment.
And the bad thing is, he's more than likely dead on right. I watched several of Clemson's conference games (including their conference championship) last season and I promise you, outside of maybe one game. They could have put their entire second and third string on both sides of the ball and won.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Our season has basically been boiled down to a few games every year. This upcoming season it will be aTm, LSU and AU. I don't expect any other team on our schedule to keep it close. Whether that should be considered a weak schedule or not I don't know. Really hard to compare schedules and opponents until scheduling is standardized which will probably never happen..

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Our season has basically been boiled down to a few games every year. This upcoming season it will be aTm, LSU and AU. I don't expect any other team on our schedule to keep it close. Whether that should be considered a weak schedule or not I don't know. Really hard to compare schedules and opponents until scheduling is standardized which will probably never happen..

I agree—and with our current schedule configuration we won’t know how good we really are until Thanksgiving weekend. THIS is why I wish they would change up our schedule and move some of the more difficult games to October or even September.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.