Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 51
  1. #27
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,154

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    I can express my thoughts simply - I hope that Jalen has an incredible season while the Sooners lose. I will pull for the player, not the team.

  2. #28
    BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Blakely, Georgia
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    Heisman trophies have replaced national championships as the goal for the Sooners apparently.

  3. #29
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gadsden, Al.
    Posts
    5,955

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    I , for one, would like to see updates on Jalen from our OU friends. Please don't let a few ill-humoured people turn you off. Keep it coming.
    I've said it before.
    #1. I'm a Alabama Fan. (Always)
    #2. I'm a real Jalen Hurts fan.
    Jalen was a great Alabama player.
    Jalen will be a great Oklahoma player.

    While Jalen is playing for Oklahoma, I will pull for Oklahoma to win em all.
    Except... If Alabama and Oklahoma should meet in next years playoffs.
    Then... I'll pull for Alabama.
    Roll Tide, and yall throw the upside down Hook em Horns sign...
    That really gets under The Texas skin.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; January 27th, 2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling... (Bad)

  4. #30
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    JAWJA
    Posts
    6,898

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Except that anyone with the slightest ability in reading comprehension understands that CA did not in any way come close to criticising, much less trashing, Lincoln or Hurts.

    That's without even considering the different between a player advancing to the NFL from college and one transferring from one college to another.

    Within reason, everyone is allowed to express their opinion on the matter.

    That said, OFD, your attitude of late and apparent personal animus toward CA for calling you out on it seem to be impairing your judgment on how to express your opinion.

    As for what this is about: It's about a lot of things, including boundaries and decorum.

    I am happy for Jalen. He is an outstanding young man.

    But there is a certain amount of gloating going on in a statement that goes "Just so you know, Coach Lincoln Riley and the rest of Sooner Nation is going to do all they can to make him our third Heisman winner in a row", so it is easy to understand why some may not like it. I don't like it. If the smugness and arrogance inherent in that statement were left out then a different response may have occurred.

    Get that log out of your own eye first. It's blinding you.
    Pretty much sums up how I feel. Said more eloquently than I could have. Exactly The reason for my -

    It’s too bad that Tua will win the Heisman by the largest vote ever! Jalen is an OU football player, at least until OU finishes their season in a NY6 bowl! Then he will be a Bama player again!
    My post may have been unfriendly , but OP’s post about the Heisman comment can be seen not only as a slight of Tua this coming year, but a rub from this past years Heisman Trophy award.
    Jalen is my favorite Bama player in some time, he graduated with my niece and was nice enough to pose for pictures with my family members at the ceremony. (My niece received a Masters in Accountancy) . JMO, If it was spring practice, fall practice, actual football related updates without the smug commentary, it may be different.
    Last edited by bamaga; January 27th, 2019 at 03:06 PM.
    to 16 and beyond........

  5. #31
    BamaNation Third Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    36
    Thread Starter

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    I mentioned "just so you know, and 3rd Heisman" not in gloating but that he may factually be a continued part of top level recognition, he benefits from that the most.

    Guys, I'll tell you something; I'm 70 yrs old, was recruited by OU, Okla. St. many others was a National Award winner as a HS Jr., grandson recruited by Saban and his staff not so long ago (long stories so won't go into here); I have Alabama roots having lived there long before Okla. When I played, both ways, we gladly knocked the snot out of people and didn't talk trash we played as though life itself depended on it; all the good teams did; but that was on the field. OFF the field, when I say, I'm trying to be nice or share a nice story, that is exactly what I mean, if I wanted to be mean or tough or whatever, I first just wouldn't bother, but as I indicated, from reading on this site, all the nice things I did about Jalen from fans here it seemed somehow a "nice" thing to share information about a day after he enrolled at OU to and his cont'd love of Bama and new set personal goals and new team, I had thought that most likely you or some of you may not see or have read as it was from a site on OU for former players, recruits, etc. so if you have access, good for you; For many, it seems I read it right that there would be some interest, for others ??, we have those on all boards that no matter what someone posts, just wait someone will likely ridicule it and that's okay too; the moderators here and they seem very good, do a good job keeping it straight. So if I have more information, about Jalen who said plenty about his love of the Tide, I'll have to remember those who do or have some interest in how hes doing; for those of us who have lived beyond a lot of this banter, those things matter, after all don't they teach that aspect of football anymore ? how it helps prepare one for life and it's lessons.........

    Folks I knew growing up in Alabama were the salt of the earth and knew how to be and receive nice comments; same for Arkansas and Oklahoma (I will say Arizona is quite different, too close to Calif ) If I do post something on Jalen again, I'll put a note of warning up first.....ironic though isn't it? I thought the title clear enough that if someone would be put off by it they wouldn't need to bother reading it

    tip of the hat to those who had nice comments, just as I remember from over 50 yrs ago there
    Last edited by Sevenmm; January 27th, 2019 at 03:21 PM.

  6. #32
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,430

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenmm View Post
    I mentioned "just so you know, and 3rd Heisman" not in gloating but that he may factually be a continued part of top level recognition, he benefits from that the most.

    Guys, I'll tell you something; I'm 70 yrs old, was recruited by OU, Okla. St. many others was a National Award winner as a HS Jr., grandson recruited by Saban and his staff not so long ago (long stories so won't go into here); I have Alabama roots having lived there long before Okla. When I played, both ways, we gladly knocked the snot out of people and didn't talk trash we played as though life itself depended on it; all the good teams did; but that was on the field. OFF the field, when I say, I'm trying to be nice or share a nice story, that is exactly what I mean, if I wanted to be mean or tough or whatever, I first just wouldn't bother, but as I indicated, from reading on this site, all the nice things I did about Jalen from fans here it seemed somehow a "nice" thing to share information about a day after he enrolled at OU to and his cont'd love of Bama and new set personal goals and new team, I had thought that most likely you or some of you may not see or have read as it was from a site on OU for former players, recruits, etc. so if you have access, good for you; For many, it seems I read it right that there would be some interest, for others ??, we have those on all boards that no matter what someone posts, just wait someone will likely ridicule it and that's okay too; the moderators here and they seem very good, do a good job keeping it straight. So if I have more information, about Jalen who said plenty about his love of the Tide, I'll have to remember those who do or have some interest in how hes doing; for those of us who have lived beyond a lot of this banter, those things matter, after all don't they teach that aspect of football anymore ? how it helps prepare one for life and it's lessons.........

    Folks I knew growing up in Alabama were the salt of the earth and knew how to be and receive nice comments; same for Arkansas and Oklahoma (I will say Arizona is quite different, too close to Calif ) If I do post something on Jalen again, I'll put a note of warning up first.....ironic though isn't it? I thought the title clear enough that if someone would be put off by it they wouldn't need to bother reading it

    tip of the hat to those who had nice comments, just as I remember from over 50 yrs ago there
    Sorry, but the rules of public speaking apply. You failed at connecting with your audience when you strayed from your purpose. No need to get defensive about it - you just missed the mark.

    A statement of impending superiority (Heisman) that harkens to a recent sore spot (Heisman) is either quite deliberate or quite tone deaf.

    Blaming others (your audience) for your mistake only reinforces my first take on it.
    Last edited by NationalTitles17; January 27th, 2019 at 03:34 PM.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  7. #33
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    503

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    Thank you for the info on Jalen. I would love to be able to keep up with how he is doing thru Spring and Summer if youíll keep posting updates here.

    Heís a class act and I expect him to be a leader for your team and I expect that he will succeed in Rileyís offensive system.

    FWIW, I must be tone deaf too because I didnít take any offense at all to the Heisman comment and I donít believe you intended it to be a jab at Bama fans.

    Thanks again!

    BamaSully

  8. #34
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,430

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSully View Post
    Thank you for the info on Jalen. I would love to be able to keep up with how he is doing thru Spring and Summer if you’ll keep posting updates here.

    He’s a class act and I expect him to be a leader for your team and I expect that he will succeed in Riley’s offensive system.

    FWIW, I must be tone deaf too because I didn’t take any offense at all to the Heisman comment and I don’t believe you intended it to be a jab at Bama fans.

    Thanks again!

    BamaSully
    ​So you're saying it was deliberate.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  9. #35
    BamaNation All-SEC im4uainva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, Va
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    Nobody said not to post, Clay...What has been asked is that you respect this board as a guest. This is far and away the most fan/family friendly CFB board on the inter-web. Follow simple rules and enjoy...I don't particularly think that calling one of our mods and most respected members sarcastic and negative is respectful...it is an ALABAMA board for crying out loud..RTR!!!
    I liken this whole episode as in like having a girlfriend that you are having a great, but fleeting, relationship with, someone else has come along, and she decides that it might be best for all concerned to look for greener pastures. Totally understandable, so you sincerely wish her the best, but then she decides to hook up with one of your friends, and then your 'friend' wants to call you and tell you how great it is with your ex. I will always appreciate that Jalen has accomplished at Bama, but I've moved on. I'm glad for both of them, but do I really want the details as to how much better his CFB life might be with OU? Hey, Bama, Jalen was yours, but he's ours now, and we will appreciate him more, and will treat him better, than you ever did. And with OU, he has a better chance at winning the Heisman, because that's what we do. I may not have phrased this as well as I would like to impart, but I think you guys will understand the concept. I'm sure the OP is sincere in giving us an update, and I thank him for the heads-up, but...

    ROLL TIDE!

  10. #36
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Louisville, KY, Jefferson
    Posts
    472

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    Hope the OU guys DO post. I've looked into a couple of their boards but don't think I will be able to stand them often. Whatever happened to--was his name WishboneSooner? A long timer here who was a good guy! I don't remember him being around when we played them this year.

    RTR

  11. #37
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,430

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    Quote Originally Posted by im4uainva View Post
    I liken this whole episode as in like having a girlfriend that you are having a great, but fleeting, relationship with, someone else has come along, and she decides that it might be best for all concerned to look for greener pastures. Totally understandable, so you sincerely wish her the best, but then she decides to hook up with one of your friends, and then your 'friend' wants to call you and tell you how great it is with your ex. I will always appreciate that Jalen has accomplished at Bama, but I've moved on. I'm glad for both of them, but do I really want the details as to how much better his CFB life might be with OU? Hey, Bama, Jalen was yours, but he's ours now, and we will appreciate him more, and will treat him better, than you ever did. And with OU, he has a better chance at winning the Heisman, because that's what we do. I may not have phrased this as well as I would like to impart, but I think you guys will understand the concept. I'm sure the OP is sincere in giving us an update, and I thank him for the heads-up, but...

    ROLL TIDE!
    I actually had similar thoughts, but it's not that I don't want to hear about Jalen. It's just the extra jabs I can do without, intentional or not.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  12. #38
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,430

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama63 View Post
    Hope the OU guys DO post. I've looked into a couple of their boards but don't think I will be able to stand them often. Whatever happened to--was his name WishboneSooner? A long timer here who was a good guy! I don't remember him being around when we played them this year.

    RTR
    He posted here not long ago to congratulate us on the win against UGA. Good guy. I can't remember him ever stirring the pot.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  13. #39
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    104

    Re: Nice Note on Jalen Hurts at OU

    This seems so petty... Jalen is my favorite player of the last 5 years. I can pretty confidently say that most Alabama fans on here are eager to hear about positive news going on regarding him. Especially during the offseason and especially when the poster was being respectful.

    Anyone saying the heisman comment was an intended jab is just grasping at straws to put the poster down bc heís an OU guy IMO

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear