Politics: Fake news (SIAP)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This story continues to be wild.

Reported on NBC just now -

CPD, Mayor’s office, and FBI were not told about the deal prosecutors made.

Prosecutors asked the court to seal the documents, so public won’t know what evidence there is.

This all comes two weeks after he was indicted by a grand jury.

Plus, the assistant state attorney says this does not exonerate Smollett.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/arts/television/jussie-smollett-charges-dropped.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Looks like another rich celebrity bought his way out of trouble.

The way the attorney and family are saying this proves he was a victim is so disingenuous. If all this evidence exonerates him then why seal the court documents? What are they hiding? Plus the Mayor, CPD and FBI had no idea? Something smells.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The way the attorney and family are saying this proves he was a victim is so disingenuous. If all this evidence exonerates him then why seal the court documents? What are they hiding? Plus the Mayor, CPD and FBI has no idea? Something smells.
Case of “it’s who you know?”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/r...de-smollett-relative-reached-out-to-kim-foxx/

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
According to a report this morning on today, the deal was 2 days of community service and 10K in court cost. What a joke.

This is why the middle and lower classes are so sick and tired of the wealthy. They get away with everything and control everything while the rest of us try to scrape by. I think it is time for a huge redistribution of wealth just to humble these people a little.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
According to a report this morning on today, the deal was 2 days of community service and 10K in court cost. What a joke.

This is why the middle and lower classes are so sick and tired of the wealthy. They get away with everything and control everything while the rest of us try to scrape by. I think it is time for a huge redistribution of wealth just to humble these people a little.
So this was not a case of police making it up and he really did do something wrong? This has been so wild and I haven't been able to keep up.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

The way the attorney and family are saying this proves he was a victim is so disingenuous. If all this evidence exonerates him then why seal the court documents? What are they hiding? Plus the Mayor, CPD and FBI had no idea? Something smells.
One option is that the police or prosecutors screwed up badly by being so public with some of the information and potentially causing some of the evidence to be inadmissible. Although you would think the police themselves wouldn't be out of the loop in that situation. It is definitely a weirder story than at first glance however.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From what I have heard they already wasted enough money investigating this, because it was a celebrity, and they didn't want to waste anymore on a 'false police report'.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
This has actually been studied in the wake of 2016. It's not a conservative/liberal thing, it's an age thing. Across party lines, people over 65 share the most fake news, by quite a lot. Of course, if you stratify that demographic, most will be conservative, and most of the fake news in 2016 was aimed toward conservatives which inflates the absolute volume on that side of the spectrum. But it turns out that political leaning wasn't the root association that researchers found.

People older than 65 share the most fake news, a new study finds
It pays to be skeptical of any news in our climate, even from what our own "side" says.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'd like to know more about the person - or persons - who made the decision to drop all charges.

That information might provide a better understanding of why/how this happened.

In the meantime - I'm just going to classify this situation as another example of why our criminal justice system is a bit dysfunctional and in need of some reformation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
One option is that the police or prosecutors screwed up badly by being so public with some of the information and potentially causing some of the evidence to be inadmissible. Although you would think the police themselves wouldn't be out of the loop in that situation. It is definitely a weirder story than at first glance however.
Since the same prosecutor that made the deal said this does not exonerate him but was only done to focus on worse crimes along with no other agencies knowing about it until the announcement, I have to think evidence was not an issue.

So many questions remain about the case.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Since the same prosecutor that made the deal said this does not exonerate him but was only done to focus on worse crimes along with no other agencies knowing about it until the announcement, I have to think evidence was not an issue.
So many questions remain about the case.
Apparently, the Chicago PD was able to comply with Freedom of Information request on the case before the records were sealed. For the PD to reply that quickly would indicate that they strongly disagree and want that information out there.

Chicago Tribune
In a bizarre reversal, Cook County prosecutors abruptly dropped all charges in an indictment accusing "Empire" star Jussie Smollett of staging an attack in Streeterville and falsely claiming he was the victim of a hate crime. In exchange, prosecutors said, Smollett agreed to forfeit the $10,000 he’d posted for his bond and perform community service, though Smollett and his attorneys maintain charges were dropped because he is innocent of the crime. The purported deal appeared to be hastily arranged and apparently was not put in writing.The Chicago Police Department's partially redacted investigative files, posted below, were released to the Tribune and other media outlets in response to a Freedom of Information Act request. Read more on the files here.
I don't have a problem with them reaching a plea in the case (As I see it, he has probably done a lot to himself already), but I cannot believe that a major condition would be for Smollet and associates to not claim he was innocent/victim. From my reading, it implies that the case is dismissed with prejudice. But, if not, I would threaten to reopen the case if he didn't stop talking.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.