Politics: Fake news (SIAP)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Fake news (SIAP)

Couldn’t find another thread on this (maybe it’s old, my iPad can’t find it).
    Just had an “ interesting” conversation with some of the guys I work with (older Trumpers and even one who claimed he’s a Democrat). The avowed Dem went off on NY’s new abortion bill, and said that they were going to be killing babies even after they’re born.
    Now, even some Trumpers in the van said “there must be a mistake, somethings wrong, they wouldn’t be doing that” and he replied “that’s what I heard on the radio”.
    So I proceeded to pull up the National Review and read the group the text in their article describing the actual wording of the law; it doesn’t even come close to what he was proclaiming.
    Everyone got very quiet, as these “old” (most of them are older than Earle by more than a few years) guys aren’t used to anyone calling them out on their cow manure.
    What brought this up was the article I just read on PBS, which said 80% of Twitter users who were spreading “fake news” (from sites not known for the veracity of their articles) during the 2016 elections were conservatives.
    I can think of words to describe people in this group, but “conservative” isn’t one of them; neither is “liberal” for the other 20%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Re: Fake news (SIAP)

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Just had an “ interesting” conversation with some of the guys I work with (older Trumpers and even one who claimed he’s a Democrat). The avowed Dem went off on NY’s new abortion bill, and said that they were going to be killing babies even after they’re born.
    Now, even some Trumpers in the van said “there must be a mistake, somethings wrong, they wouldn’t be doing that” and he replied “that’s what I heard on the radio”.
    So I proceeded to pull up the National Review and read the group the text in their article describing the actual wording of the law; it doesn’t even come close to what he was proclaiming.
    Everyone got very quiet, as these “old” (most of them are older than Earle by more than a few years) guys aren’t used to anyone calling them out on their cow manure.
    What brought this up was the article I just read on PBS, which said 80% of Twitter users who were spreading “fake news” (from sites not known for the veracity of their articles) during the 2016 elections were conservatives.
    I can think of words to describe people in this group, but “conservative” isn’t one of them; neither is “liberal” for the other 20%.
    "Insufficiently skeptical?" "Uncurious?" "Gullible?"

I've said it before. I'll say it again. When it comes to on-line news sources: Caveat lector, especially if you are reading "Bob's News Agency."

I trust Mother Jones, CNN and National Review more than some unknown on-line news source. I know that all three have a perspective and an agenda, and that agenda would involve being in business in five years. Bob's News Service? Not so much.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

This has actually been studied in the wake of 2016. It's not a conservative/liberal thing, it's an age thing. Across party lines, people over 65 share the most fake news, by quite a lot. Of course, if you stratify that demographic, most will be conservative, and most of the fake news in 2016 was aimed toward conservatives which inflates the absolute volume on that side of the spectrum. But it turns out that political leaning wasn't the root association that researchers found.

People older than 65 share the most fake news, a new study finds

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    This has actually been studied in the wake of 2016. It's not a conservative/liberal thing, it's an age thing. Across party lines, people over 65 share the most fake news, by quite a lot. Of course, if you stratify that demographic, most will be conservative, and most of the fake news in 2016 was aimed toward conservatives which inflates the absolute volume on that side of the spectrum. But it turns out that political leaning wasn't the root association that researchers found.

https://apple.news/AqXJMpt9eRoGJ9axM36IsTQ

The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post

I've read that and I tend to agree with it, although I would exempt myself from that category. At least part of it is legal training and the rest having a naturally skeptical mindset. I think a lot of the problem is that people of that age grew up and matured when printed news (hard copy) was much more trustworthy than now. People just haven't adjusted to the current climate of abuse...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Now, are you real sure about that?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Fake news (SIAP)

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Now, are you real sure about that?
    Yep - oldest guy at work is 85 (still driving), and we have at least 10 over 80 (80-84). I think you’re only a year or two older than my oldest brother (he’s 76). Is that accurate?
    (I should have said, “some” by more than a few years.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep - oldest guy at work is 85 (still driving), and we have at least 10 over 80 (80-84). I think you’re only a year or two older than my oldest brother (he’s 76). Is that accurate?
    (I should have said, “some” by more than a few years.)

I do have a birthday ending in a zero this year...

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

Do they also believe the Earth is flat because they saw it on the YouTubes? /bluefont

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Thing is, we are all susceptible to fake news that is done well enough, especially when it hits the right emotional buttons. Take the recent catholic school field trip, for instance.

So skepticism and patience would seem to be in order, most especially when our indignance is raised.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-American

I view it as gossiping, or maybe we should term it e-gossiping. Spreading something without knowing the underlying truth Is and has always been wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Thing is, we are all susceptible to fake news that is done well enough, especially when it hits the right emotional buttons. Take the recent catholic school field trip, for instance.

So skepticism and patience would seem to be in order, most especially when our indignance is raised.
    Speaking of which, does anyone know what the stated reason was for the kids being there at the march?

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Speaking of which, does anyone know what the stated reason was for the kids being there at the march?
    Pro life support