Politics: Fake news (SIAP)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
When people continue to post in social media that Roy Scheider just passed away...and it's been coming up on 11 years now since his death.....you know there's a major disconnect!

We live in a different world now, obviously.

I can't really offer any solution except to try and take it easy on your fellow man and try to take into account the continued pursuit of ratings by the media and how that can act to polarize society.

Personally - I'm not going to let them do that.

I tend to watch BBC for my news as much as possible anyway - they don't seem to have as much of an agenda as the others.

Good luck.....YMMV...:)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
When people continue to post in social media that Roy Scheider just passed away...and it's been coming up on 11 years now since his death.....you know there's a major disconnect!

I can't really offer any solution except to try and take it easy on your fellow man and try to take into account the continued pursuit of ratings by the media and how that can act to polarize society.

I tend to watch BBC for my news as much as possible anyway - they don't seem to have as much of an agenda as the others.

I like BBC news - as cut and dry as they come.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I wish your other sources were as good as the BBC because a lot of the stuff you've pulled out over the last few years definitely didn't come from them. :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Our local NPR station carries them in its third band. I'm about to shut down now, pull out a book and turn "The World"...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Kentucky Teen Nick Sandmann Sues The Washington Post For $250 Million

The Covington Catholic High student’s suit says the Post “caused permanent damage to his life and reputation” with its report on a Lincoln Memorial incident.
According to the lawsuit filed by attorneys Lin Wood and Todd McMurtry, the Post’s coverage of the incident “wrongfully targeted and bullied” Sandmann “because he was the white, Catholic student wearing a red ‘Make America Great Again’ souvenir cap.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nick-sandmann-covington-washington-post-lawsuit_n_5c6cb519e4b0f40774c9e32d

I hope that smirking little smart aleck gets nada.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Kentucky Teen Nick Sandmann Sues The Washington Post For $250 Million

The Covington Catholic High student’s suit says the Post “caused permanent damage to his life and reputation” with its report on a Lincoln Memorial incident.
According to the lawsuit filed by attorneys Lin Wood and Todd McMurtry, the Post’s coverage of the incident “wrongfully targeted and bullied” Sandmann “because he was the white, Catholic student wearing a red ‘Make America Great Again’ souvenir cap.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nick-sandmann-covington-washington-post-lawsuit_n_5c6cb519e4b0f40774c9e32d

I hope that smirking little smart aleck gets nada.
i think they are hoping that wapo caves and gives them a settlement. discovery should be interesting (i am not a lawyer, i assume they have discovery in civil cases)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i think they are hoping that wapo caves and gives them a settlement. discovery should be interesting (i am not a lawyer, i assume they have discovery in civil cases)
Actually, discovery is much more extensive in civil cases than criminal. When I first started practice, over a half century ago, there was no discovery at all in criminal cases...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Speaking of fake news, the Russian аппарат (apparatus) is already hard at work on the Democratic candidates...

Vice News
Since they're hitting marginal sites like 4Chan and 8Chan, it's obvious that some of the reforms Facebook has instituted are having an effect. I don't think Twitter is as far along in combating it, and, given the format, it will be much harder to do...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Since they're hitting marginal sites like 4Chan and 8Chan, it's obvious that some of the reforms Facebook has instituted are having an effect. I don't think Twitter is as far along in combating it, and, given the format, it will be much harder to do...
Reddit also has done very little in fighting it.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have seen the picture of Warren with the black mammy eating a watermelon figurine on Facebook. So it is still slipping through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have seen the picture of Warren with the black mammy eating a watermelon figurine on Facebook. So it is still slipping through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that Facebook's efforts are not to try and censor anything derogatory. I think it's to censor obvious foreign efforts to defame with false info, plus to remove the "repeater" effect, where numerous dummy accounts magnify false info. Somewhere, I read what their efforts are to be, according to them, anyway...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Speaking of fake news, the Russian аппарат (apparatus) is already hard at work on the Democratic candidates...

Vice News
Russia is fine, they’re not doing anything; Trump said so because Putin told him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Russia is fine, they’re not doing anything; Trump said so because Putin told him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And, therein, lies a conundrum. In my years of law practice, I've noticed that, the higher the level of deception in a person, the more gullible she/he is...

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Wasn't sure where else to put this, but it looks like Facebook's solution to viral disinformation spreading in its News Feed and "researchers" harvesting user data in sneaky ways might be to just end the News Feed and pivot to a completely different business model. I'm sure it's also based on user abandonment of Facebook. Sounds like an improvement to me, though.

Facebook’s News Feed era is now officially over

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.