Politics: Fake news (SIAP)

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
Couldn’t find another thread on this (maybe it’s old, my iPad can’t find it).
Just had an “ interesting” conversation with some of the guys I work with (older Trumpers and even one who claimed he’s a Democrat). The avowed Dem went off on NY’s new abortion bill, and said that they were going to be killing babies even after they’re born.
Now, even some Trumpers in the van said “there must be a mistake, somethings wrong, they wouldn’t be doing that” and he replied “that’s what I heard on the radio”.
So I proceeded to pull up the National Review and read the group the text in their article describing the actual wording of the law; it doesn’t even come close to what he was proclaiming.
Everyone got very quiet, as these “old” (most of them are older than Earle by more than a few years) guys aren’t used to anyone calling them out on their cow manure.
What brought this up was the article I just read on PBS, which said 80% of Twitter users who were spreading “fake news” (from sites not known for the veracity of their articles) during the 2016 elections were conservatives.
I can think of words to describe people in this group, but “conservative” isn’t one of them; neither is “liberal” for the other 20%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Just had an “ interesting” conversation with some of the guys I work with (older Trumpers and even one who claimed he’s a Democrat). The avowed Dem went off on NY’s new abortion bill, and said that they were going to be killing babies even after they’re born.
Now, even some Trumpers in the van said “there must be a mistake, somethings wrong, they wouldn’t be doing that” and he replied “that’s what I heard on the radio”.
So I proceeded to pull up the National Review and read the group the text in their article describing the actual wording of the law; it doesn’t even come close to what he was proclaiming.
Everyone got very quiet, as these “old” (most of them are older than Earle by more than a few years) guys aren’t used to anyone calling them out on their cow manure.
What brought this up was the article I just read on PBS, which said 80% of Twitter users who were spreading “fake news” (from sites not known for the veracity of their articles) during the 2016 elections were conservatives.
I can think of words to describe people in this group, but “conservative” isn’t one of them; neither is “liberal” for the other 20%.
"Insufficiently skeptical?" "Uncurious?" "Gullible?"

I've said it before. I'll say it again. When it comes to on-line news sources: Caveat lector, especially if you are reading "Bob's News Agency."

I trust Mother Jones, CNN and National Review more than some unknown on-line news source. I know that all three have a perspective and an agenda, and that agenda would involve being in business in five years. Bob's News Service? Not so much.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This has actually been studied in the wake of 2016. It's not a conservative/liberal thing, it's an age thing. Across party lines, people over 65 share the most fake news, by quite a lot. Of course, if you stratify that demographic, most will be conservative, and most of the fake news in 2016 was aimed toward conservatives which inflates the absolute volume on that side of the spectrum. But it turns out that political leaning wasn't the root association that researchers found.

People older than 65 share the most fake news, a new study finds

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
This has actually been studied in the wake of 2016. It's not a conservative/liberal thing, it's an age thing. Across party lines, people over 65 share the most fake news, by quite a lot. Of course, if you stratify that demographic, most will be conservative, and most of the fake news in 2016 was aimed toward conservatives which inflates the absolute volume on that side of the spectrum. But it turns out that political leaning wasn't the root association that researchers found.

https://apple.news/AqXJMpt9eRoGJ9axM36IsTQ

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I've read that and I tend to agree with it, although I would exempt myself from that category. At least part of it is legal training and the rest having a naturally skeptical mindset. I think a lot of the problem is that people of that age grew up and matured when printed news (hard copy) was much more trustworthy than now. People just haven't adjusted to the current climate of abuse...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Now, are you real sure about that? :D

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
Now, are you real sure about that? :D
Yep - oldest guy at work is 85 (still driving), and we have at least 10 over 80 (80-84). I think you’re only a year or two older than my oldest brother (he’s 76). Is that accurate?
(I should have said, “some” by more than a few years.[emoji44])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yep - oldest guy at work is 85 (still driving), and we have at least 10 over 80 (80-84). I think you’re only a year or two older than my oldest brother (he’s 76). Is that accurate?
(I should have said, “some” by more than a few years.[emoji44])

I do have a birthday ending in a zero this year... :D

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Thing is, we are all susceptible to fake news that is done well enough, especially when it hits the right emotional buttons. Take the recent catholic school field trip, for instance.

So skepticism and patience would seem to be in order, most especially when our indignance is raised.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I view it as gossiping, or maybe we should term it e-gossiping. Spreading something without knowing the underlying truth Is and has always been wrong.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thing is, we are all susceptible to fake news that is done well enough, especially when it hits the right emotional buttons. Take the recent catholic school field trip, for instance.

So skepticism and patience would seem to be in order, most especially when our indignance is raised.
Speaking of which, does anyone know what the stated reason was for the kids being there at the march?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Speaking of which, does anyone know what the stated reason was for the kids being there at the march?
They had attended a pro-life march nearby and were there to see the Lincoln Memorial and catch buses out.

It just so happened that the crazy BHI's were there spouting hate toward everyone, including the nearby Indigenous Peoples march participants who were getting ready to leave apparently.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
They had attended a pro-life march nearby and were there to see the Lincoln Memorial and catch buses out.

It just so happened that the crazy BHI's were there spouting hate toward everyone, including the nearby Indigenous Peoples march participants who were getting ready to leave apparently.
They were there spouting some hate themselves despite the PR firm pushback against the original story.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
I view it as gossiping, or maybe we should term it e-gossiping. Spreading something without knowing the underlying truth Is and has always been wrong.

To my original post, my coworker said he “heard it on the radio”. That’s full-throttle propaganda, because unlike the internet, not everyone has access to the airwaves.
Knowing him, it was either Rash, Horse Face or Ingrate (maybe Tomi Lowrent, not sure if she’s on radio. Not sure if Trigger is either).

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
They were there spouting some hate themselves despite the PR firm pushback against the original story.
Gotta be honest: When the first story that came out proved to be very dishonest I lost interest in what a group of middle/high schoolers attending a public protest were doing. I agree things could/should have been done differently, but I really have no zeal to denigrate them after the mischaracterizations even if they are rich white male catholic schoolboys with the seemingly prerequisite attitudes to go with all that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.