Yesterday’s game - seen this play way too many

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
times over the years. Another frustrating loss in a long line of frustrating losses. The team has been playing better lately. First, let me get the negatives out of the way. Obviously, defensive rebounds, or lack thereof, killed us. We have a player, one of the most experienced players, that is consistently extremely careless with the basketball. We saw that in the first ten seconds of the game when he made one of the laziest passes you will ever see an experienced college player make. It was easily stolen. What I want to see from our coach, and what I have been harping on is holding our players accountable. Avery should have yanked him out right then. You have to send a message that carelessness will not be tolerated. Overall, I loved our offensive gameplan. We pounded the ball inside and got easy basket after easy basket. Good passing in offensive sets. Bad news is, except for Norris, we were cold as ice from the outside. The loss wasnt devastating, but it hurts bc we are in need of resume boosters. The next two games are critical. They wont be easy, but both are very winnable. We must at least split those two to remain on pace to be at least .500 in the league.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'll have to agree that CAJ just doesn't seem to value ball security that much. I don't follow NBA that carefully and I'm only vaguely familiar with his career. Does anyone more knowledgeable know how his turnover ratio was as a player?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
times over the years. Another frustrating loss in a long line of frustrating losses. The team has been playing better lately. First, let me get the negatives out of the way. Obviously, defensive rebounds, or lack thereof, killed us. We have a player, one of the most experienced players, that is consistently extremely careless with the basketball. We saw that in the first ten seconds of the game when he made one of the laziest passes you will ever see an experienced college player make. It was easily stolen. What I want to see from our coach, and what I have been harping on is holding our players accountable. Avery should have yanked him out right then. You have to send a message that carelessness will not be tolerated. Overall, I loved our offensive gameplan. We pounded the ball inside and got easy basket after easy basket. Good passing in offensive sets. Bad news is, except for Norris, we were cold as ice from the outside. The loss wasnt devastating, but it hurts bc we are in need of resume boosters. The next two games are critical. They wont be easy, but both are very winnable. We must at least split those two to remain on pace to be at least .500 in the league.
I agree with you on accountability when we have turnovers. Every chance we had to cut in or extend the lead we turned it over before we even got a shot off.

Regarding the gameplan, I agree it was a good one but at the same time the gameplan took our hottest player coming into the game out of the gameplan. Petty was a non-factor and our 3 pt shooting was not good at all other than Riley. The gameplan was a double edged sword so to speak. I guess if we would have made more 3's it would have been the perfect gameplan.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I would've liked to see better late-game strategy. Norris was hitting the 3s and we were only down 3 with about 30 secs left. They made 2 FTs, I believe. I would have liked for us to try Norris again and see if he could cut it down to 2 point deficit and make Baylor make FTs. I don't think with just 30 secs left that there was enough time for us to go for layups.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I agree with you on accountability when we have turnovers. Every chance we had to cut in or extend the lead we turned it over before we even got a shot off.

Regarding the gameplan, I agree it was a good one but at the same time the gameplan took our hottest player coming into the game out of the gameplan. Petty was a non-factor and our 3 pt shooting was not good at all other than Riley. The gameplan was a double edged sword so to speak. I guess if we would have made more 3's it would have been the perfect gameplan.
I was a little worried midway through that if Bama needed to ramp up the scoring from outside that the rhythm might not be there.

The offensive game plan was fine; Bama would have won by 10 points with just a few more rebounds and a few less turnovers. I also think Baylor focused on taking Petty out of the offense; seemed like he was covered tight by one or two players every time the ball got near him.

Looked like Baylor was in a 1-3-1 defense late in the game and left Norris open in the corner. The players got him the ball but not as often as they could have. I remember one time in particular when Norris was waving for the ball with no Baylor player within 15 feet or so.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Baylor used our game plan against us. We wanted to pound it inside and they decided to let us. They decided that they could match our uncontested 2 pointers with 3 pointers. And then when they went zone, they were basically daring us to beat them with 3 pointers and we couldn't.

If I'm an opposing coach, I'd never come out of zone on us until JP proved he could beat me. They chose a plan figuring JP wouldn't have a hot hand on the road and it was a calculated gamble they proved right. Riley almost foiled their plan, but his hot hand wasn't enough.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
About CAJ and turnovers: A related note is that he doesn't do some of the little things at this level he needs to. And one of those is we don't typically run inbound plays. I could coach a HS girls team to run an inbound play that works better than these college guys just standing around and trying to inbound without any screens/motion. It's mind numbing to watch.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I thought it was turning into a game of trading 3's for 2's early but it didn't play out that way (9 of first 11 points by Baylor came from behind the arc). Baylor hit one more 3-pointer than Bama while they took 5 more attempts. They also had 5 more 2-point field goal attempts and 3 more 1-point attempts.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Ultimately it came down to one of the most fundamental of skills in basketball, rebounding. They had better effort and blocked out better. We need to have Petty, Herb and Dazon rebounding to win. Donta was Ok, but the rest were not very good. We also need Herb to get out this funk he has been in. He has missed more layups this year than any player I can ever remember.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Ultimately it came down to one of the most fundamental of skills in basketball, rebounding. They had better effort and blocked out better. We need to have Petty, Herb and Dazon rebounding to win. Donta was Ok, but the rest were not very good. We also need Herb to get out this funk he has been in. He has missed more layups this year than any player I can ever remember.
Did you hear the game broadcast say that up until last year we had "designated" rebounders meaning only a few players were allowed or supposed to rebound the ball? CAJ said it's a NBA tactic and it took him 3 years to realize that doesn't work in college. I wonder how many more NBA tactics CAJ is teaching that don't work in the college game..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.