Game Thread: MSU @ Alabama (7:30 tip on SECN)

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Really good win tonight. Bama is now 125-75 all-time against Mississippi state. The students really showed up tonight.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Also a little concerning is giving up 50 points in the 2nd half. Was hoping Bama would at least play even over the 2nd half and finish up with a relaxing ending.

ETA: I remember Bama getting up by 12 or so later in the 2nd half but forgot that Bama was up by 11 with under 4 minutes to play. So, basically played even if the game had ended a little earlier.

The offensive spacing, movement, and passing has looked better for a few games now.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Looks like Mack is still in Witness Protection. Can’t have many more nights for deep like that 1-15. If they do they HAVE to start making more FT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mack played pretty solid except for a couple of missed three's. He had 6 points, 8 rebounds and 3 blocks. I like that he will pull up and hit an 8 to 12 foot shot.

I do expect more points out of him though. I was thinking (hoping) that he and Petty would trade off being the top scorer in most games...

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
We escaped with a win. Didn't see much of first half, but got the sinking feeling in second half that I was seeing another aTm type finish. Glad for the win. Tough road ahead.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Don't lose sight of we beat a pretty good team last night. Some of the struggles is what they do also. Going to dread lift with out DH next year. We need to find a quick twitch big man for next year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It was as if when we hit the 4 minute to go mark, we expected State to quit playing. We would dribble down and almost literally hand them the ball. Infuriating, because it was all unforced. Having said that, the team still gutted it out despite their mistakes, regained focus over the final minute and actually won the game at the FT line.

And yes, MSU is a good team. The SEC is simply brutal again this year, and we are a part of that.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Great win. Roll Tide!!!! This team is going to give me a heart attach. Love some of the offensive plays we run now and how we are relentlessly pounding the paint. State has some really good players on their team. Didn't know they had a 5 star player. He played like it tonight. Couple times looking at Reese on defensive rebounds he is playing with no force. He has to do a better job of sealing his player. Couple times I saw him just completely whipped by his man on rebounds off of free throws. We got the rebound on a couple of those but he has to get a little nasty on boxing out. This team is hard to figure out. Seems we can beat just about anyone in the nation on any given night.
True ... they are such an enigma. At times its like they gel well as a team, and other times it's like this team just started playing. I was at the game last night and the energy was good for a cold and middle fo the week game. MSU had a good crowd there as well. They have to learn how to be aggressive for a full game. They buried Ole Sis like that but that kinda reverted back to poor tendencies in the second half. There was a series where MSU came down and got like 3-4 layups in a row and we came down and attempted threes on each of our series without even passing the ball once. This team can really makes some noise but they have to dedicate themselves to being a team that wants to dominate for a full game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good win, but I check the thread and the first post I see is about inbounding trouble.

Inbounding trouble??? Middle school teams run simple inbound plays to get open. Why can't a college team???

It's stuff like this that make these "close wins" close or these 2-3 point losses.

I know FT shooting is bad too, but we are not a great shooting team and that'll show up at the line, but not having an inbounds play is all on the coach.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Good win, but I check the thread and the first post I see is about inbounding trouble.

Inbounding trouble??? Middle school teams run simple inbound plays to get open. Why can't a college team???

It's stuff like this that make these "close wins" close or these 2-3 point losses.

I know FT shooting is bad too, but we are not a great shooting team and that'll show up at the line, but not having an inbounds play is all on the coach.
We turned the ball over on 2 or 3 inbounds plays when we were trying to ice the game. One of them we probably should have been called for 5 seconds. To pile on what you said it's really inexcusable that we continue to have trouble inbounding the ball. It literally cost us the aTm game. There's a lot of things that we can debate in regards to coaching but being able and ready to inbound the basketball is 100% coaching. The players are either not prepared to do it or they don't practice it enough. I could understand a one time fluke but it's almost every game with us in really key moments..

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
We turned the ball over on 2 or 3 inbounds plays when we were trying to ice the game. One of them we probably should have been called for 5 seconds. To pile on what you said it's really inexcusable that we continue to have trouble inbounding the ball. It literally cost us the aTm game. There's a lot of things that we can debate in regards to coaching but being able and ready to inbound the basketball is 100% coaching. The players are either not prepared to do it or they don't practice it enough. I could understand a one time fluke but it's almost every game with us in really key moments..
The same thing happened last year in the Mercer game and the UT Arlington games. We almost lost because we had trouble getting the ball inbounds late in the game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The same thing happened last year in the Mercer game and the UT Arlington games. We almost lost because we had trouble getting the ball inbounds late in the game.
I helped coach a girls HS team a few years ago. We had inbound plays for under the offensive basket, at the hash, and press-breakers. We practiced them weekly.

The sad thing is, when done right, you don't just get the ball in-bounds but you might create an easy scoring opporunity.

What Bama does? Everybody stands around and we try to lob it in to our point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.