Question: What direction do you see college football heading in the next 10 years?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I certainly think they'll expand the playoffs. First to 6 games, then 8. I think it will be capped at 8.

Continued concerns about brain trauma/concussions will push the game in a direction deemed "safer" including penalizing ball carriers with lowering their heads to make contact with the defender. This may actually only be a year out.

I hope they reduce the number of "D1/BCS" teams. I think schools like South Alabama, Troy, etc. will never compete at that level and honestly shouldn't be considered. In the end, state funding may dictate whether schools continue to have said programs since they do not pay for themselves like the major programs do.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I guess I will answer on the field and how it is played. I think more scoring and better offense is where that is heading! I don’t see 100-95 games, but I Believe we will see more 65- 59 type games . Unfortunately. Not all games, but more BIG12 style games! Rules changes, evolving offenses, evolving athletes at every level of football. The NFL is now saturated with kids that have grown up from peewee all the way to the NFL with wide open offensive systems. And it shows . As a result scoring is up and so are ratings! CFB is benefitting from all the camps and 7on7s resulting in college ready athletes and that is showing in results. I see rules designed for player safety making it easier for offenses, and coaches taking advantage . All that adds to more scoring! I have no idea how we will watch football in 10 years, so I have no idea what direction that is heading ? Will ESPN be around in 2029? We will probably watch with some technology or application that has yet to be invented!!
The college and pro game are both ripe for teams to go back to power football to counter the current wide open offensive attacks. Look at what the Patriots did to the Chiefs in the AFC championship game. The Patriots used a fullback more in that game than all the other NFL teams used a fullback during the entire season! The Patriots absolutely dominated the TOP by going back employing a brand of smash mouth football. The Chiefs made a late attempt at a comeback but their defense was worn out from being on the field for 45 minutes during regulation and the Patriots scored a TD with ease in OT to win the game. Everything is cyclical and I think we're just about at the peak of the basketball on grass style of ball. In 10 years I bet there's far more teams using fullbacks, power running and trying to win TOP than what we see today..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
While I am glad for reviews I have come to hate the many game stoppages. It makes me wonder if we should just accept a bad call here and there so the game came be more fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I recall the original intent of replay was to overturn obvious missed calls like somebody stepped out of bounds and the ref didn't see it or if a players knee was clearly down before he fumbled. Somehow the replay reviews have morphed into overturning calls that aren't obvious such as catches - did the player catch the ball and make a "football move" before he fumbled or targeting. Plays like that should not be reviewed because it isn't obvious one way or another. After the missed PI game in the NFC championship there's a lot of people who want to review PI now. That's ridiculous. They need to shrink the scope of replay reviews not broaden what's available for review..

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Pay for play, Video refs with a panel to judge penalties. No kickoffs each team gets the ball on the 35 after electronic coin toss. No tackling each team will have to push a button located on each side of the shoulder pads. There will be 10 6 minute periods of play with a 2min break between. For the 4th period of play fans will be able to call plays for there team via text messaging system to the university. Text your play and if it qualifies it is used. So all in all I will say the future is looking bright.
I wanted to hit the HaHa button, but I'm afraid many of these will actually happen, so the Haha would be on us.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
The new pro league starting play this spring will have no kickoffs under their rules and no kicked extra points—have to go for two every TD.
This could easily happen to college football. There are some of the movers and shakers who want to remove (erase) anything they perceive as uninteresting or politically unpopular.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
IMO, most of you are watching too many sci-fi movies.

In 10 years? I don't think the game will look much different.

Great QBs will always be the difference in offensive success and a great defense will usually win a championship.

In 100 years? Yeah some of you may be right.
I agree. There hasn't been that much change in the last 10 years. I don't expect that much in the next 10 years. There will be some changes, but not much. What all has changed since Saban came to Bama? Not a lot.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I agree. There hasn't been that much change in the last 10 years. I don't expect that much in the next 10 years. There will be some changes, but not much. What all has changed since Saban came to Bama? Not a lot.
Do you see the 2009 team winning the national championship with GMac at Qback? I don't. The same physical intimidating defense just isn't allowed and I'm almost positive that offense wouldn't keep up.

That's how much has changed in ten years.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think the game will eventually become much like the 7-on-7 competitions with lots of scoring and more restrictions on defense in the name of player safety. Basically flag football. People will be like: "Yeah, they used to have these big behemoths out there, some over 300 lbs, crushing each other on every play. And the way they ran into each other was brutal. It was really primitive."

I do find it interesting that since so much of the revenue comes from TV coverage, and since you can sit at home and watch any game on any Saturday, that the cost of tickets has actually gone up instead of down. You would think that as demand goes down, so does the price. That's kind of basic economics. But that hasn't happened. Instead, it's gotten to the point where attending a game in person is cost prohibitive for a lot of people, especially if you want to take your kids or family to the game. I guess maybe demand for tickets has not decreased, but it seems like it would with the technology we have today. You would think that as TV coverage expands, attendance would go down and the size of the stadiums would actually get smaller. But that's not the case, at least not in the SEC.
First bold print- I agree that the game will go on with drastic changes and people like me will look back and say things like, "That crap they call football now isn't real football. Back in my day..."
Second bold print- I think in many places the prices for tickets are dropping because the stands are emptying. There are still some conferences and individual universities that still have strong attendance that are accompanied by ticket price increases, but even at Alabama they are taking away seats to install more boxes and amenities to entice fans to attend.

I wonder if some people will start a Real Football League that holds true to what the game means to many of us or if they will just let it pass by. I'm guessing it will depend on the ratings as they continue to change rules.

CrimsonTusk

1st Team
Sep 14, 2003
Florence AL USA
What I would like to see and what will probably happen will be two different things. I'd like to see regular season games scaled back to 10 because of the playoffs. The injuries at the end of the year mount up it seems. As far as the playoffs are concerned,... I realize it is the four best teams now but if they expand, make sure the entries are in a conference.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The college and pro game are both ripe for teams to go back to power football to counter the current wide open offensive attacks. Look at what the Patriots did to the Chiefs in the AFC championship game. The Patriots used a fullback more in that game than all the other NFL teams used a fullback during the entire season! The Patriots absolutely dominated the TOP by going back employing a brand of smash mouth football. The Chiefs made a late attempt at a comeback but their defense was worn out from being on the field for 45 minutes during regulation and the Patriots scored a TD with ease in OT to win the game. Everything is cyclical and I think we're just about at the peak of the basketball on grass style of ball. In 10 years I bet there's far more teams using fullbacks, power running and trying to win TOP than what we see today..
I think you might be right. Football is football.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What I would like to see and what will probably happen will be two different things. I'd like to see regular season games scaled back to 10 because of the playoffs. The injuries at the end of the year mount up it seems. As far as the playoffs are concerned,... I realize it is the four best teams now but if they expand, make sure the entries are in a conference.
I'd never be in favor or reducing the regular season. Season seems too short to me anyway.

As for injuries, I think part of that is the way our conference schedule is backloaded with LSU, MSU and AU. MSU tends to rise and fall but LSU and AU will generally field tough teams. I've been saying for years I wish we'd play AU in late September for many other reasons, but it would help with the injury situation too.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'd never be in favor or reducing the regular season. Season seems too short to me anyway.
Totally agree with that. Shortening the regular season would make it more difficult to choose the best teams because more teams would have identical records after only 10 games as opposed to 12. It could decrease revenue for schools because of fewer home games. Also would force an expansion of playoff which would be bad IMO.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Games will shift from being shown on traditional TV networks to social media outlets via live streaming. Multiple ways to watch sporting events will evolve, including being able to click on various cameras to get different angles; maybe cameras will be so small they will be part of each player's helmets so viewer can watch the action from any player they choose. sports betting will become more prevalent and make it easier to bet on individual play in real time.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I seriously believe that college football attendance will continue to decline due to its overexposure on television and the prohibitive cost of going to a game. There are several aspects to the college game that do not appeal to me personally. I have never been a fan of players skipping their senior season to enter the NFL. I abhor the NCAA transfer process, except when a player has graduated. The transfer process is just another step toward the NFL's free agency. The discrepancy in officiating between conferences is a shame, the use of instant replays for review has prolonged the game to the point that it is ridiculous. If I were not an Alabama alum and fan I would likely have a lot of free time on Saturdays.

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I think the lowest paid HC will be making around 6 million a year with an 50 million buyout. **blue font**

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have gotten to the point that if it were not for Pick 'ems I would be a casual fan. I am so fed up with watching poor officiating change the outcomes of games. I wish they would do away with reviewing plays unless they review every play and especially PENALTIES AND NO CALL PENALTIES. This has made me jaded and thinking someone is on the payroll because no group could be as bad they miss so many obvious calls.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.