Question: What direction do you see college football heading in the next 10 years? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

Re: What direction do you see college football heading in the next 10 years?

I suspect the NCAA will eventually lift the transfer restrictions and not require players to sit out a year. Theyíre pretty much already doing that anyway. Blake Barnett is on his 3rd team and hasnít had to sit once.

It will be this decision that more or less kills the true spirit of college football. Makes me sad...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I find it more and more likely that the NCAA will no longer govern the P5 schools at some point (or a sub-set of them). I am not concerned about that. I am kinda looking forward to it. And I don't think that it will change play on the field at all.

BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

What direction do you see college football heading in the next 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I find it more and more likely that the NCAA will no longer govern the P5 schools at some point (or a sub-set of them). I am not concerned about that. I am kinda looking forward to it. And I don't think that it will change play on the field at all.
    While the NCAA is the governing body over college football itís the sports media (ESPN in particular) that drives ďpolitically acceptableĒ narratives that motivate rule changes. I agree that at some point the P5 schools will attempt a coup to divest itself of the NCAA. Unfortunately the media is a necessary evil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tide&True; February 2nd, 2019 at 06:45 PM.
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tide&True View Post
    While the NCAA is the governing body over college football it’s the sports media (ESPN in particular) that drives “politically acceptable” narratives that motivate rule changes. I agree that at some point the P5 schools will attempt a coup to divest itself of the NCAA. Unfortunately the media is a necessary evil.

I thought this was tried with the formation of the CFA in the late 1970's.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I thought this was tried with the formation of the CFA in the late 1970's.
    You know people donít read history anymore GrayTide

"They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

Fingers crossed that the NCAA no longer exists in 10 years...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame

We already know the answer.... College football is going to be far more corporate like the NFL, and you will see a lot of stadiums trading # of seats for luxury boxes. Bama is getting ahead of the move before Bama starts to rejoin the rest of SEC after CNS hangs it up.

I just think the advancement in TV and streaming services is going to make the average joes leave going to games to the cigar smokers who can afford the outrageous charges that are going to start to come. I know many believe its outrageous now, but wait until this stuff starts to take effect and you actually have NFL face values for every game.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar

You know people don’t read history anymore GrayTide
    If they do it is REVISIONIST History. Why are people in this country tearing down and tearing up things from the past. The past is the past. We MUST remember the PAST so that we and our descendants do NOT REPEAT it!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    We already know the answer.... College football is going to be far more corporate like the NFL, and you will see a lot of stadiums trading # of seats for luxury boxes. Bama is getting ahead of the move before Bama starts to rejoin the rest of SEC after CNS hangs it up.

I just think the advancement in TV and streaming services is going to make the average joes leave going to games to the cigar smokers who can afford the outrageous charges that are going to start to come. I know many believe its outrageous now, but wait until this stuff starts to take effect and you actually have NFL face values for every game.
    Who will be the FIRST coach to make $50 million or even $100 million a year? When will this happen? by 2040 or 2050?
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    Who will be the FIRST coach to make $50 million or even $100 million a year? When will this happen? by 2040 or 2050?
    I remember Kirk Herbreit being laughed at 5 years ago when he said college football attendance will take a significant hit within 10 years with the technological advancements in entertainment, and we are already seeing that now.

I believe things are moving very fast towards a NFL franchise type thing for college, maybe (probably) not completely, but I do think we are going see teams like Alabama, Florida, Notre Dame, Ohio St, etc act more like franchises than colleges. I don't know if that translates to 50 million dollar coaches or not, but CNS has pushed coaching salaries up way higher than what they were 30 years ago so who knows.

Hannibal

What direction do you see college football heading in the next 10 years?

I remember Kirk Herbreit being laughed at 5 years ago when he said college football attendance will take a significant hit within 10 years with the technological advancements in entertainment, and we are already seeing that now.

I believe things are moving very fast towards a NFL franchise type thing for college, maybe (probably) not completely, but I do think we are going see teams like Alabama, Florida, Notre Dame, Ohio St, etc act more like franchises than colleges. I don't know if that translates to 50 million dollar coaches or not, but CNS has pushed coaching salaries up way higher than what they were 30 years ago so who knows.
    I tend to agree that college will be run much like the NFL (which Iíve come to hate). More than likely the pay of players and the transformation of the the college P5 level into a semi-pro league is what I expect. Itís either that or create a semi-pro league and let the college level go back to the amateur league it was before. But since there is so much investment in the infrastructure of the college level it will probably stay with the P5 and a weeding out of the other schools which canít compete on that semi-pro level. Perhaps those schools would compete in a league of their own.

Last edited by Tide&True; February 3rd, 2019 at 04:50 PM.
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I tend to agree that college will be run much like the NFL (which I’ve come to hate). More than likely the pay of players and transformation of the the college P5 level into a semi-pro league is what I expect. It’s either that or create a semi-pro league and let the college level go back to the amateur league it was before. But since there is so much investment in the infrastructure of the college level it will probably stay with the P5 and weeding out of the other schools that can’t compete on that semi-pro level. Perhaps those schools would compete in a league of their own.

For pay for play... I'm semi for it as long as its controlled and doesn't involve ludicrous contracts (we are talking 100ks). I think student-athletes need an extra income to provide for things a scholarship doesn't provide. Again we aren't talking NFL contracts, we are talking gas, grocery, and entertainment expenses that makes sense since student-athletes don't have much opportunity to seek a job like a normal student to provide those things

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

If this is where it is heading, and I think you are spot on, then count me out.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner