Question: What direction do you see college football heading in the next 10 years?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Will every team receive a National Championship PARTICIPATION Trophy? UCF received one last year, I think.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
If we go to more games, we need to increase the 85/25 limits.
More games or less games, with NFL defections and the wonderful Transfer Portal, they need to do this anyway . At least, a relaxation of the 25 rule. But there will be pushback from smaller schools

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I suspect the NCAA will eventually lift the transfer restrictions and not require players to sit out a year. They’re pretty much already doing that anyway. Blake Barnett is on his 3rd team and hasn’t had to sit once.

It will be this decision that more or less kills the true spirit of college football. Makes me sad...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I find it more and more likely that the NCAA will no longer govern the P5 schools at some point (or a sub-set of them). I am not concerned about that. I am kinda looking forward to it. And I don't think that it will change play on the field at all.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I find it more and more likely that the NCAA will no longer govern the P5 schools at some point (or a sub-set of them). I am not concerned about that. I am kinda looking forward to it. And I don't think that it will change play on the field at all.
While the NCAA is the governing body over college football it’s the sports media (ESPN in particular) that drives “politically acceptable” narratives that motivate rule changes. I agree that at some point the P5 schools will attempt a coup to divest itself of the NCAA. Unfortunately the media is a necessary evil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
While the NCAA is the governing body over college football it’s the sports media (ESPN in particular) that drives “politically acceptable” narratives that motivate rule changes. I agree that at some point the P5 schools will attempt a coup to divest itself of the NCAA. Unfortunately the media is a necessary evil.

I thought this was tried with the formation of the CFA in the late 1970's.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We already know the answer.... College football is going to be far more corporate like the NFL, and you will see a lot of stadiums trading # of seats for luxury boxes. Bama is getting ahead of the move before Bama starts to rejoin the rest of SEC after CNS hangs it up.

I just think the advancement in TV and streaming services is going to make the average joes leave going to games to the cigar smokers who can afford the outrageous charges that are going to start to come. I know many believe its outrageous now, but wait until this stuff starts to take effect and you actually have NFL face values for every game.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
You know people don’t read history anymore GrayTide[emoji6]
If they do it is REVISIONIST History. Why are people in this country tearing down and tearing up things from the past. The past is the past. We MUST remember the PAST so that we and our descendants do NOT REPEAT it!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
We already know the answer.... College football is going to be far more corporate like the NFL, and you will see a lot of stadiums trading # of seats for luxury boxes. Bama is getting ahead of the move before Bama starts to rejoin the rest of SEC after CNS hangs it up.

I just think the advancement in TV and streaming services is going to make the average joes leave going to games to the cigar smokers who can afford the outrageous charges that are going to start to come. I know many believe its outrageous now, but wait until this stuff starts to take effect and you actually have NFL face values for every game.
Who will be the FIRST coach to make $50 million or even $100 million a year? When will this happen? by 2040 or 2050?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Who will be the FIRST coach to make $50 million or even $100 million a year? When will this happen? by 2040 or 2050?
I remember Kirk Herbreit being laughed at 5 years ago when he said college football attendance will take a significant hit within 10 years with the technological advancements in entertainment, and we are already seeing that now.

I believe things are moving very fast towards a NFL franchise type thing for college, maybe (probably) not completely, but I do think we are going see teams like Alabama, Florida, Notre Dame, Ohio St, etc act more like franchises than colleges. I don't know if that translates to 50 million dollar coaches or not, but CNS has pushed coaching salaries up way higher than what they were 30 years ago so who knows.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I remember Kirk Herbreit being laughed at 5 years ago when he said college football attendance will take a significant hit within 10 years with the technological advancements in entertainment, and we are already seeing that now.

I believe things are moving very fast towards a NFL franchise type thing for college, maybe (probably) not completely, but I do think we are going see teams like Alabama, Florida, Notre Dame, Ohio St, etc act more like franchises than colleges. I don't know if that translates to 50 million dollar coaches or not, but CNS has pushed coaching salaries up way higher than what they were 30 years ago so who knows.
I tend to agree that college will be run much like the NFL (which I’ve come to hate). More than likely the pay of players and the transformation of the the college P5 level into a semi-pro league is what I expect. It’s either that or create a semi-pro league and let the college level go back to the amateur league it was before. But since there is so much investment in the infrastructure of the college level it will probably stay with the P5 and a weeding out of the other schools which can’t compete on that semi-pro level. Perhaps those schools would compete in a league of their own.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I tend to agree that college will be run much like the NFL (which I’ve come to hate). More than likely the pay of players and transformation of the the college P5 level into a semi-pro league is what I expect. It’s either that or create a semi-pro league and let the college level go back to the amateur league it was before. But since there is so much investment in the infrastructure of the college level it will probably stay with the P5 and weeding out of the other schools that can’t compete on that semi-pro level. Perhaps those schools would compete in a league of their own.

For pay for play... I'm semi for it as long as its controlled and doesn't involve ludicrous contracts (we are talking 100ks). I think student-athletes need an extra income to provide for things a scholarship doesn't provide. Again we aren't talking NFL contracts, we are talking gas, grocery, and entertainment expenses that makes sense since student-athletes don't have much opportunity to seek a job like a normal student to provide those things

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

If this is where it is heading, and I think you are spot on, then count me out.

green_knight94

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 26, 2018
I don't worry about the next 10 years. I just enjoy now. I have to be a realistic that CNS will most likely not be here at Alabama then and when that happens we will be back down to earth with the rest of college football so in the meantime let just enjoy this ride.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.