Question: What direction do you see college football heading in the next 10 years?
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

What direction do you see college football heading in the next 10 years?

I think it’s good from time to time to reflect on where college football was, where it is today and where it is heading in the future. There are some of you on this board that lived during the Coach Bryant years. You remember black and white TV and only three networks to choose from. Players on your favorite team where homegrown or lived only a state away. Fast forward to today...there is sports on 24/7 in high definition so there’s no need to wait till next Saturday’s game anymore. Now players are like free agents and come from almost anywhere...even other countries. High profile coaches are instant millionaires and lead programs like the CEO of a company.

As you can see...we’ve come a long way baby! Given the vast change we’ve already seen...what changes can we expect in the next decade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: What direction do you see college football heading in the next 10 years?

I try not to worry about things out of my control. I also expect that I will still be watching this sport until I find myself looking up at the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I try not to worry about things out of my control. I also expect that I will still be watching this sport until I find myself looking up at the grass.
    Not really worried B1G, just speculating on what’s coming.

"They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation Second Team

Interesting question...I sometimes wonder if high school and college sports in general (and especially football) are moving past their heyday. All things have their time in history. I remember my dad talking about how big a deal boxing was back in his day. (He was born in '28 so his day was a few years back..) Nascar was a thing for a while but seems to be a lot of empty seats these days. TV tries to hide it but it's hard to miss.
    There's so many more options today for kids ....most of which involves a screen. It wasn't too long ago that, in most communities, high school sports was all there was....and the players were really looked at as local heroes. Lord, my mind goes back to some wooden bleachers in Thomaston, Alabama that were just large enough to seat most of the town...but if Linden or Sweetwater came rolling in there weren't enough seats in the county to hold em all. (Lord those west Alabama boys were tough...and serious about winning) It mattered.
    It still matters I suppose...but I don't think it matters as much now. So easy to retreat back to the screen...or the hundreds of other distractions available now...
    Apologies for the tangent here...probably wasn't what the IP was asking...

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimetider View Post
    Interesting question...I sometimes wonder if high school and college sports in general (and especially football) are moving past their heyday. All things have their time in history. I remember my dad talking about how big a deal boxing was back in his day. (He was born in '28 so his day was a few years back..) Nascar was a thing for a while but seems to be a lot of empty seats these days. TV tries to hide it but it's hard to miss.
    There's so many more options today for kids ....most of which involves a screen. It wasn't too long ago that, in most communities, high school sports was all there was....and the players were really looked at as local heroes. Lord, my mind goes back to some wooden bleachers in Thomaston, Alabama that were just large enough to seat most of the town...but if Linden or Sweetwater came rolling in there weren't enough seats in the county to hold em all. (Lord those west Alabama boys were tough...and serious about winning) It mattered.
    It still matters I suppose...but I don't think it matters as much now. So easy to retreat back to the screen...or the hundreds of other distractions available now...
    Apologies for the tangent here...probably wasn't what the IP was asking...
    I get what you are saying my friend. No need to apologize.

-Steely Dan

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I could write a treatise on where I think it is headed, but for now I will just say I am not enthused at the direction of college football.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

What direction do you see college football heading in the next 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I could write a treatise on where I think it is headed, but for now I will just say I am not enthused at the direction of college football.
    After I wrote my question I thought to myself, “I hope I get a response from people like GrayTide.” I’d love to see what your “treatise” would say GrayTide.

-Steely Dan

Good question as I am wondering the same thing too. 10 years ago I would get up at the crack of dawn on Saturdays and sit in front of the TV and watch college football until midnight. Nowadays the games I watch are the games Bama is playing in. I have lost interest in other teams & programs.

BamaNation All-American PA Tide Fan's Avatar

Based upon what I see now I'm concerned we may be another step closer to flag football in 10 years. With all the rule changes now in place to supposedly protect players I imagine we will see more rule changes with greater restrictions on tackling and blocking in the future. Much of the targeting that takes place is by accident and is not deliberate but players will eventually become "gun shy" about making tackles or blocking guys for fear of getting thrown out of games and being labeled as "dirty" players. Could set up an environment for even greater scoring than we see now if that's what one wants to see.

BamaNation First Team

I love it, I wish the season was 30-40 games. I see things getting worse; payment of players, loss of scholarships for top 10 teams to achieve parity, expanded playoff so losers feel included, more players not playing in bowls, college football turned into NFL lite. I hope not but that's what it looks like.

BamaNation All-SEC

I wonder at what offense will look like in 10 years. As teams adopted the HUNH opposing teams changed defenses to limit it. Now the HUNH is nowhere near as effective as it was a few years ago. What could be the new horizon? I think what Oklahoma is doing ( on offense only) will be the way of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley View View Post
    I love it, I wish the season was 30-40 games. I see things getting worse; payment of players, loss of scholarships for top 10 teams to achieve parity, expanded playoff so losers feel included, more players not playing in bowls, college football turned into NFL lite. I hope not but that's what it looks like.
    I feel you are right...college football is just a semi-pro league now. Payment of players is coming I’m sure. Amateur athletics is dying.

-Steely Dan

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    I wonder at what offense will look like in 10 years. As teams adopted the HUNH opposing teams changed defenses to limit it. Now the HUNH is nowhere near as effective as it was a few years ago. What could be the new horizon? I think what Oklahoma is doing ( on offense only) will be the way of the future.
    That philosophy (all offense) is what happened in the NBA.

-Steely Dan