Great win last night. I continue to be thrilled with the

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
game plan. We attack the basket strong, generally getting excellent shots. If our 3s ever start falling again, we will be a dangerous team. We still seem to lose focus defensively, especially in the second half. And, we have to figure out a way to protect the ball better in crunch time. Way too many turnovers the last three minutes of the game.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
game plan. We attack the basket strong, generally getting excellent shots. If our 3s ever start falling again, we will be a dangerous team. We still seem to lose focus defensively, especially in the second half. And, we have to figure out a way to protect the ball better in crunch time. Way too many turnovers the last three minutes of the game.
Rebounds. We give up too many second chances and seemingly every team exceeds theirs average against Bama.

Clean up a few things and this is a good team.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Few issues I have with the team after last night is the rebounding. Alabama was out rebounded 43-39. If we look close to it, We gave up 19 offensive rebounds. We have to do better.

Three points: 1-15? Whew.... Make half of those and the game is over. If Miss State had made half of their shots, we would've been in trouble last night. The game plan on defensive was good, offensive wise.. I loved how we attacked the basket, if we can get our 3 point to be little more consistently, we will be okay. there are lot of people who are asking for the coach to be fired, but I feel like we have improved so much from last year... we just need to be more patient... there is progress... and we will have more shooter next year... Next year will be where I will have high expectation of getting to sweet 16. This year? I expect us to be first 4 out.. for a while.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Few issues I have with the team after last night is the rebounding. Alabama was out rebounded 43-39. If we look close to it, We gave up 19 offensive rebounds. We have to do better.

Three points: 1-15? Whew.... Make half of those and the game is over. If Miss State had made half of their shots, we would've been in trouble last night. The game plan on defensive was good, offensive wise.. I loved how we attacked the basket, if we can get our 3 point to be little more consistently, we will be okay. there are lot of people who are asking for the coach to be fired, but I feel like we have improved so much from last year... we just need to be more patient... there is progress... and we will have more shooter next year... Next year will be where I will have high expectation of getting to sweet 16. This year? I expect us to be first 4 out.. for a while.
Nobody, except on a hot night, shoots 50% from 3 land. A more realistic number, for our poor shooting team would be to hit 30-35 percent consistently, but we seem to be feast or famine.

FWIW: there are only two players shooting better than 50% right now:https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/143

Team wise: only 9 teams shoot in the 40's. We are #170 in the nation, currently shooting 34.4%

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Nobody, except on a hot night, shoots 50% from 3 land. A more realistic number, for our poor shooting team would be to hit 30-35 percent consistently, but we seem to be feast or famine.

FWIW: there are only two players shooting better than 50% right now:https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/143

Team wise: only 9 teams shoot in the 40's. We are #170 in the nation, currently shooting 34.4%
My benchmark for a good shooting teams are in range of 38 to 41 percent. I feel like Alabama team should be a 38 percent team, hence me saying that we need to be little more consistent shooting the ball. If we made 6 out of 15 last night, I would be okay with that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Okay, we took care of business at home last night. Nice job and Roll Tide! This would be a nice time to go on a run and pick up some nice wins in conference. Take care of the ball with ball handling and good passes. Rebound the stinking basketball. Play defense! Defense and rebounding are mostly about effort. Hit free throws. Hit some jumpers. Sounds easy, right?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
This team really does have a chance to be a good one. Hall has really turned into a dependable player. Lewis has done very well for such a young guy. We have enough depth that someone seems to step up when you need them. Dammit, we can beat Auburn on Saturday and we need to do that.

This could be a dangerous team.

rtr

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

A "movement" offense like the one we have been playing the last couple of games requires constant cuts and ball screens.....that often puts people out of position for offensive boards..... that is just a by-product of the offense he's running. But the shots are a much higher percentage shot -- so that offsets the lack of ORB and putbacks.

It also tires out the other teams 3 point shooters who have to constantly run to keep up. Tired legs = Bad 3pt Percentage

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I do like the way we are attacking the basket. Petty has become a much better all around player this year. He seems to take whatever they give him. I just wish he could be reasonably consistent. Dazon is doing a much better job with the turnovers and seems to be doing a good job running the team. Norris finally looks like the player he was his sophomore year. If we can get hot from outside, we can win a bunch of games. We still need to play defense for 2 halves and work on our inbounding plays. BTW, the travel TV Teddy called on Dazon was 1st a foul and 2nd not a travel. The officiating was just awful last night. It is almost like they were trying to keep State in the game.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I do like the way we are attacking the basket. Petty has become a much better all around player this year. He seems to take whatever they give him. I just wish he could be reasonable consistent. Dazon is doing a much better job with the turnovers and seems to be doing a good job running the team. Norris finally looks like the player he was his sophomore year. If we can get hot from outside, we can win a bunch of games. We still need to play defense for 2 halves and work on our inbounding plays. BTW, the travel TV Teddy called on Dazon was 1st a foul and 2nd not a travel. The officiating was just awful last night. It is almost like they were trying to keep State in the game.
To be fair -- Dazon did get it back in the second half when he probably charged and fell over the guy's foot -- and then called him for Tripping. I do agree the officiating wasn't amazing --- though

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
To be fair -- Dazon did get it back in the second half when he probably charged and fell over the guy's foot -- and then called him for Tripping. I do agree the officiating wasn't amazing --- though
I will have to disagree on Ingram. He is still way too careless with the basketball. See the very first pass he made in the game against Baylor for a prime example. I think he does create match-up problems for opposing defenses, but I will always shutter whenever he has the ball in his hands. He had an Oscar worthy performance on the injury last night though. That stopped a potential numbers advantage for MSU similar to what the refs did when Nick Weatherspoon got hurt. I disagree with both of those calls by the refs. Neither injured player was in the way, they should have waited until change of possession or a ball out of bounds.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Good info. The way we are scoring in the paint, which I love, teams are going to start collapsing on us and it will create some very good looks from 3. If we can start knocking down 3's at a better percentage this team is going to be tough to beat.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Good info. The way we are scoring in the paint, which I love, teams are going to start collapsing on us and it will create some very good looks from 3. If we can start knocking down 3's at a better percentage this team is going to be tough to beat.
We had open shot from the 3 spots

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We had open shot from the 3 spots

Hard to shoot 3s consistently with our type of offense. Plus State is a pretty good team, and they wore us down a bit as well.

A zone offense where they collapse into the lane -- leaves an Uncontested 3.....

A motion offense where the player is open -- because the defenders get lost -- may be open, but is a much harder shot.....than vs a team sitting in a zone and playing a zone offense

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Hard to shoot 3s consistently with our type of offense. Plus State is a pretty good team, and they wore us down a bit as well.

A zone offense where they collapse into the lane -- leaves an Uncontested 3.....

A motion offense where the player is open -- because the defenders get lost -- may be open, but is a much harder shot.....than vs a team sitting in a zone and playing a zone offense
Not necessarily true. The offense they run, encourage 3 points shot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.